Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Meltdown and Spectre patches

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
acewiza

Re: Meltdown and Spectre patches

#101 Post by acewiza »

stevepusser wrote:I have not noticed any loss of performance with my Skylake CPU after the latest Debian microcode update...
>99% of all PC users spend the majority of time idling their systems, with slight bumps up when they actually DO something. Are you timing compile runs and things like that? Only before/after benchmarks tell the true story, so yeah, unless you're "noticing" all this kind of stuff, including some more important performance metrics lower down in the right-side menu you'd probably never know.

Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

#102 Post by stevepusser »

acewiza wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I have not noticed any loss of performance with my Skylake CPU after the latest Debian microcode update...
>99% of all PC users spend the majority of time idling their systems, with slight bumps up when they actually DO something. Are you timing compile runs and things like that? Only before/after benchmarks tell the true story, so yeah, unless you're "noticing" all this kind of stuff, including some more important performance metrics lower down in the right-side menu you'd probably never know.
Well, yes, I've been building many kernels for MX 15 and 17 on my laptop for months and months now.. I have a pretty good idea how long a build will take now. Perhaps they are taking a few percent longer or not, but like has been said, that's not really noticable to me in without scientific measurements. The user could always run the Phoronix test suite with and without the microcode update to get those, but I don't really have the time to do that.

This is the microcode update. It's well known that the KPTI patches for Meltdown in the 64-bit kernel do reduce performance by some amount, but that's not what I'm talking about.
MX Linux packager and developer

acewiza

#103 Post by acewiza »

It looks like the performance hit runs around an average of 3%, depending on (obviously) numerous factors, with Intel chips seeing the worst of it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12678/a- ... en-results
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

n_hologram

#104 Post by n_hologram »

acewiza wrote:...with Intel chips seeing the worst of it...
Maybe this will be a wake-up call for Intel to design their hardware correctly the first time they make it.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...