Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Failed to partition the selected disk [SOLVED]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dargaud

Failed to partition the selected disk [SOLVED]

#1 Post by dargaud »

Hello, hello,
I normally use Ubuntu or CentOS, but I need to install the latest Debian on a server. I've done that once before (8.5) and besides a nonfree driver issue, I didn't run into issues. But here: impossible.

I've put the nonfree 9.4 ISO on a USB key, I boot and start the install process. When comes time for the partitioning, I select the entire disk (a hardware RAID1 of 2 SSDs, 250Gb) and I get:
Failed to Partition the selected disk - This Probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned
I tried also in manual, same thing (with a similar but different message sometimes): impossible.

I tried that same ISO in a VM and I have no problem installing the system on a virtual disk.

I also booted my server with a debian liveCD and had no problem doing a quick and dirty partition of my SSDs manually using fdisk, fsck, mounting it and using it.

EDIT: a few extra info: the SSDs in the RAID1 are 240Gb Dell Perc H730 Adp. If I try to install on a RAID5 3Tb (normally meant for data), the installer proceeds normally.

So what is going on, why is the installer refusing my disk ?
Thanks
Last edited by dargaud on 2018-05-02 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

acewiza

Re: Failed to partition the selected disk

#2 Post by acewiza »

Have you re-accomplished RAID setup on the SSD's by clearing the partition tables and creating new raid partitions?
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

dargaud

#3 Post by dargaud »

Yes I have.
As a test I installed the latest (today's) Ubuntu and the whole install was done in 5 minutes, so I'm gonna use that instead. So I guess the problem is solved... in a way !

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

Then plz mark the thread solved.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.