Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

QUIET SPEAKERS

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
shyler.casavant

QUIET SPEAKERS

#1 Post by shyler.casavant »

Team,

Been running Windows on my machine.
Just flashed over for a clean install of Stretch.

My speakers are ridiculously quiet - I have tried the alsamixer method; making sure the volume is up. Even at 100; barely hear a thing.

lspci | grep -i audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 9d71 (rev 21)

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xa1328000 irq 132
Any ideas?

stevepusser

Re: QUIET SPEAKERS

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The default Debian install includes pulseaudio. Make sure pavucontrol is installed, run it, and try to boost your output volume for whatever application is too quiet.

This also might be Skylake hardware, in which case it would benefit from firmware-misc-nonfree and the 4.15 kernel from stretch-backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

shyler.casavant

#3 Post by shyler.casavant »

The pavucontrol allowed me to bring the volume up a bit more.
I will take a look at the 4.15 kernel and see if that solves the issue.

This may be a bit of a dumb question - but part of the reason I love Debian is because it doesn't give me as many hassles and crashes as Ubuntu. If I bring the kernel to 4.15 would that cause my system to be unstable?

Just curious.
Thanks for the help.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

shyler.casavant wrote:If I bring the kernel to 4.15 would that cause my system to be unstable?
A newer kernel version will bring the risk of regressions and new bugs, yes.

Also, the backported kernel must be always updated (because of vulnerabilities) but is always out of date (because backports are drawn from testing rather than sid); it isn't really the best option for Debian stable and should only be used where there is a clear need (IMO).

Have you tried adding firmware-misc-nonfree? That might be enough.

(Perhaps remove the caps in the thread title, shouting is considered rude by some.)
deadbang

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

i'm pretty sure windows adds some post-processing to its sound, "boosting" it somehow.
i remember the first time i used linux, i thought it sounded flat.
then i realised that's the clean sound.
just crank up the volume, install an equaliser and/or get speakers that have actual bass/treble knobs.
i doubt a kernel upgrade will do any good here.

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

The drivers on Windows are just better optimized for your hardware. I too have problems with laptops internal Realtek card, the sound is about 40% lower than on Windows. Newer kernel might help, but so would newer version of pulseaudio.
On Sid, I have better sound quality, at least. And the cracking audio is gone.