Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Onboard Graphics issues Intel D2700 Atom CPU net-install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
lorentedford

Onboard Graphics issues Intel D2700 Atom CPU net-install

#1 Post by lorentedford »

Hello I am trying to install the latest version of Debian on my Intel Atom D2700 @ 2.13 Ghz we are having some issues with the installation.. It is a 64 bit system with hyper-threading technology enabled along with the onboard intel graphics card. It has a total of 4 GB of memory and seems to install just fine using the net-install however after reboot the system doesn't seem to recognize the graphics card.. I then try to use advanced tab to open up recovery mode and it doesn't seem to still recognize the graphics and monitor.

What is causing this and how do i fix this?

Any thoughts on this? Is there a way to reinstall and add Intel graphics to the installation?

By chance is their a command line installation of your net-installer? I did try Desktop environments xfce and lxde then later tried unchecking all except ssh and web server just to see if it would install and auto connect to the network where i could ssh into the machine.

stevepusser

Re: Onboard Graphics issues Intel D2700 Atom CPU net-install

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It looks to have a funky PowerVR GPU with poor Linux support: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA ... s_on_Linux

If this is a desktop, you would probably have less hassle by getting a cheap AMD or Nvidia card and disabling the integrated POS.
MX Linux packager and developer

lorentedford

#3 Post by lorentedford »

stevepusser wrote:It looks to have a funky PowerVR GPU with poor Linux support: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA ... s_on_Linux

If this is a desktop, you would probably have less hassle by getting a cheap AMD or Nvidia card and disabling the integrated POS.

Actually this is a repeater controller for Allstarlink which runs asterisk to control two repeaters. I really only need command line access only.. Nothing really more..

The previous one worked but I think it was Debian 8. Not sure what all has changed between debian 8 and 9. Here is more information on what we are doing.
http://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/ASL_FAQ So if possible it even if its ssh access only I am ok with that.. We vpn our stuff anyway to one of our internal servers.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

i just looked it up.
it's not poulsbo, but essentially the same (note that this article is 6 years old).

however, if you say you don't need graphics, surely the fallback driver still works for the tty?
so there's no problem?

lorentedford

#5 Post by lorentedford »

The issue i have is even if i don't install a desktop environment it boots up to a blank screen it won't detect at all..
I do see the bios screen it does seem to install for some reason without issue.. Honestly if I could get the system to install with ssh I could possibly just be happy with access only via root through its local network via ssh.

Doing some more thinking now maybe i might try an older installation version of debian in hopes that it won't have the same issues.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Will it show a console screen if you use systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a kernel command line parameter?
deadbang

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

lorentedford wrote:The issue i have is even if i don't install a desktop environment it boots up to a blank screen it won't detect at all..
I do see the bios screen it does seem to install for some reason without issue.. Honestly if I could get the system to install with ssh I could possibly just be happy with access only via root through its local network via ssh.

Doing some more thinking now maybe i might try an older installation version of debian in hopes that it won't have the same issues.
neither seems like a good idea to me.
esp. ssh as root - it is even disabled by default.

sorry i'm a little out of the loop here.
are you saying you cannot do a netinst? i.e. a command-line only install, without a gui?
because you cannot even get a command line? effectively you cannot see anything at all, because of that funky intel gpu??? your posts are a little contradictory on that point.