Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

High CPU with Chrome or/and Firefox

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Fred34

High CPU with Chrome or/and Firefox

#1 Post by Fred34 »

Hi everyone

I'm discovering Debian, but I've one problem, with chromium and/or firefoxthe processor goes so high when it load the pages, sometimes without any reasons ….i don’t understand.

I’ve got two computers with Debian, just one does that, i changed and install a SSD hard disk but it’s the same result, ok it’s not a recent machine but it’s not even a dinosaur :
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor L110 1,2 GHz
2Gb of memory and i’m using LXDE…

Do you have any idea what it could be ??
Last edited by Fred34 on 2018-05-11 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Highe CPU with Chrome or/and Firefox

#2 Post by bw123 »

That is a pretty slow cpu. I have an older sempron 1.8 and it does okay with both browsers, but I do disable javascript and flash/video through them. In fact I pretty much disable everything I can when surfing.

Are you sure the cpu is running at the 1.2 speed? I use cpufreq-info when I am setting mine up, it shows some stats about cpu performance? The pkg name is cpufrequtils.

Just clicking a link to any random page nowadays can trigger hundreds of actions that waste resources and bandwidth. It is the thing I dislike most about what the web has become, they are trying to make it like interactive TV. It used to be a pretty reliable and efficient way to transfer text and render it in various readable ways.

There aren't a lot of lightweight alternatives, but there are a few. Maybe some others will comment, or you can use search box on the forum here to find the threads about alternative lightweight browsers.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

There is also the possibility of some sites loading cryptocoin coin mining scripts onto your machine without permission.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

You say it goes high when you load pages. That would be expected. I just check on my Core2Duo E8500 system and it hit 80% briefly on both cores while loading a page. It's about a 9 year old processor.
If it sustains high CPU usage after loading, that would be a different matter.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Fred34

#5 Post by Fred34 »

When I watch some website with heavy staff ... otherwise simple website like this one or like google result it's really fast and the proc is really low. I can't ask a lot, I forgot Windows for Linux and I find back a computer really really fast !! So I'm not gonna complain :D
If i knew it before ...

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, rendering all the kruft on those heavy pages like the Huffpo or Boing Boing will take a lot of CPU cycles; that's just the way things work. Be careful you don't use all of that 2GB RAM and start using the swap file, too. There's also some browsers like Qupzilla or its successor, Falkon, that might be faster, but the latest version for Qupzilla is only going to work on Stretch as an AppImage, and that's 64-bit only. Falkon just put up an Appimage yesterday, but it crashes on my machine...they seem to be working on a fix for that, looking at the github repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

Fred34

#7 Post by Fred34 »

I check with GParted and I've a swat file but when the processor is at 100% the memory is not full ... so it shouldn't use the swat file normally....
I discover yesterday the extension of Firefox to block the advertisement etc... It's amazing !!! YouTube without adv as well. At least the loading will be reduce a bit more

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by None1975 »

Fred34 wrote:I discover yesterday the extension of Firefox to block the advertisement
Also, you can check this extension, that is called xul-ext-noscript.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Fred34

#9 Post by Fred34 »

I gave up with Firefox... Chromium is way faster than the fox...

Bulkley

#10 Post by Bulkley »

Fred34 wrote:I gave up with Firefox... Chromium is way faster than the fox...
Not anymore. The new Firefox Quantum is much faster than the older versions, maybe faster than Chromium. I'm typing this from Quantum 60.0 (64-bit) running in my user space and it is considerably faster than the Firefox-esr installed from the Stretch repository.

BTW, if you like Chromium, try Slimjet.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:There's also some browsers like Qupzilla or its successor, Falkon, that might be faster, but the latest version for Qupzilla is only going to work on Stretch as an AppImage, and that's 64-bit only. Falkon just put up an Appimage yesterday, but it crashes on my machine...they seem to be working on a fix for that, looking at the github repo.
just out of curiosity, doesn't an appimage create extra overhead, and would somewhat reduce the effect of using a lightweight browser?

PS:
still no noscript for qupzilla/falkon?

Fred34

Re: High CPU with Chrome or/and Firefox

#12 Post by Fred34 »

Done, way better
Thanks again

Fred34

#13 Post by Fred34 »

Firefox quantum is really faster than chrome but I've an android phone and i would like to use it on it but impossible like for one page to open it takes 3-4 seconds with chrome and 13-14 with firefox 60..... Why so much difference!?

Wheelerof4te

#14 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Fred34 wrote:android phone and i would like to use it on it
If you are asking about Firefox on Android, then maybe Firefox or Android forums are more appropriate place. This one is for Debian users.

Fred34

#15 Post by Fred34 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
Fred34 wrote:android phone and i would like to use it on it
If you are asking about Firefox on Android, then maybe Firefox or Android forums are more appropriate place. This one is for Debian users.
Yes i know, I'm not asking but it seems like the version is like that on android. It's just to say it because it's the same version, it's a shame

debiman

#16 Post by debiman »

Fred34 wrote:it's a shame
...that people constantly spread FUD about $FOSS_PROJECT, inevitably comparing it to some less-than-opensourced project which somehow always appears to be "better" in the end.
without really knowing what they're talking about, just jumping in on the hype.
the current hype being that firefox is slow.
if i run firefox on my 10-year old netbook it's also painfully slow, compared to chrome on my company desktop. whatever. make a proper technical comparison or stop spreading FUD.

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

Fred34 wrote:Hi everyone

I'm discovering Debian, but I've one problem, with chromium and/or firefoxthe processor goes so high when it load the pages, sometimes without any reasons ….i don’t understand.

I’ve got two computers with Debian, just one does that, i changed and install a SSD hard disk but it’s the same result, ok it’s not a recent machine but it’s not even a dinosaur :
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor L110 1,2 GHz
2Gb of memory and i’m using LXDE…

Do you have any idea what it could be ??
With Your proccesor, I would recommend you to use and old Firefox/Chromium's version when regular use (Not risky credit bank operations).:
Im using Opera v42 for two/tree years long due to CPU's performance issues with newers versions; and Im very satisfied with it.

Here is Opera pub, to download any older versions:
https://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/

Try mine's version and tell me how it went; that version has a good balance between last features and performance.
https://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop ... 517/linux/
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Wheelerof4te

#18 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Best advice here. Just listen to the guy, OP. Learn from the true troll master.

debiman

#19 Post by debiman »

ok, seriously, bester69 does things on their own half-zombied machine that we really do NOT recommend to others.