Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Something is grinding D9 to a halt!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debiman

Re: Something is grinding D9 to a halt!

#21 Post by debiman »

rhino777 wrote:It's definitely my browser.

While trying to get to https://creativemarket.com/ the whole system almost locked up. (I had eight tabs open at the time in Chrome... doesn't sound like too much to me. Especially since all eight were finished loading...)
some never finish loading if you have javascript enabled by default.

but however insanely resource-hungry some web pages are, it shouldn't grind your machine to a complete halt.
unless...
rhino777 wrote:I seem to remember adjusting swapiness to 0.
hrrmph.
you should have mentioned that in post #1.

rhino777

#22 Post by rhino777 »

Sorry. I said I would tell you if I've done something... because... I couldn't remember what I'd done.

So thanks everyone. You jogged my memory.

I've yet to have a repeat of The Grind.

rhino777

#23 Post by rhino777 »

Okay. It's seems to have made a difference. I changed swappiness.

In addition, I went into /etc/init.d and deleted a few start up services I don't need on a constant basis. For example, Apache2.

Still, there seems to be a long lag between logging in and the appearance of the desktop. 10 to 15 seconds feels like a long time to me.

kevinthefixer

#24 Post by kevinthefixer »

rhino777 wrote:Still, there seems to be a long lag between logging in and the appearance of the desktop. 10 to 15 seconds feels like a long time to me.
For a slow Celeron? What desktop are you loading? Unfortunately your posts seem to lack important details. FWIW my memory often fails me in situations like this, so I try to take copious notes while configuring a system. I have an older Toshiba netbook with a Celeron single-core, it takes about that long to load the XFCE desktop under Stretch. For a dual-core to load Gnome, not that excessive. BTW you might double the size of your swap partition, might help. Another suggestion; after all this tinkering, format all the partitions and do a clean install with a lightweight desktop. That will take care of any other maladjustments you might have still lingering. Here is the lightest DE I know of:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/
It's Stretch with LXDE modified for minimal hardware. The original RPi was single-core and 1/2-gig RAM, it worked on that, and the Raspberry Pi Foundation ported it back to x86. Sorry no 64-bit but you'll never notice.

debiman

#25 Post by debiman »

kevinthefixer wrote:FWIW my memory often fails me in situations like this, so I try to take copious notes while configuring a system.
this.
nothing helps to solve the problem like going through the steps one by one, trying to explain them in full detail.
most forum posts remain unsolved because the op never bothers to supply detailed info.
For a dual-core to load Gnome, not that excessive.
...and this.