Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package opencubicplayer missing from Debian 9

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bicyclesonthemoon

Package opencubicplayer missing from Debian 9

#1 Post by bicyclesonthemoon »

Hello
I have recently installed Debian 9.
I was previously using Debian 7 on a different computer.
I'm now in the process of setting up the environment to be the same as it was on Debian 7.
The same programs, files, settings, ...

I encountered a problem when I tried to install one of the programs I used there, the Open Cubic Player.
On Debian 7 it was installed with the package manager, the package opencubicplayer (https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/opencubicplayer)
I have found that this package is missing from this version of Debian, but is present for other versions (wheezy, jessie, buster, sid).
Why is it so?
It's problematic for me because it left me without a possibility to install the program.

When using Debian 7 when I sometimes needed a newer version of a package which was not available for this version of Debian I would download the package which is for the other Debian version, install it and try to solve dependency problems if they appear. I did so for example for mspdebug or musescore if I remember correctly.
But this time doing so was unsuccessful because it creates aa dependency problem which is unable to resolve with the package manager.

Skipping completely the package manager and installing it by downloading and compiling the source code from the programs website was problematic and unsuccessful too. At first ./configure refused because my gcc was too new, apparently. I had to edit this check to continue. Then it was missing some libraries which I had to install. But the configure script didn't tell at once the missing libraries but one by one. It complained about just one missing library, I installed it and then it ccomplained about the next one. Finally, I had everything. But, unfortunately it didn't compile. The error messages were "Error: junk `(%ebx)' after expression". Maybe the gcc was too new after all.

I don't know how to continue.
I don't know why a package is removed from one version of Debian and what to do about it.
Interestingly, this page I found (https://www.howtoinstall.co/en/debian/s ... ubicplayer) suggests that it should be possible to install it by the package manager.

I only started setting up the computer like it is on the computer with Debian 7 so I expect that other problems with other problems can appear too.

stevepusser

Re: Package opencubicplayer missing from Debian 9

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Obviously that guide you found is dead wrong; I wouldn't be surprised if it was automatically generated just to get you to click on it.

The Debian testing version is patched to work around the gcc issues, which is one of the benefits you get by backporting the sources from upstream Debian:

Code: Select all

ocp (1:0.1.21-2) unstable; urgency=medium

[ Gürkan Myczko ]
  * Really run dh-autoreconf; thanks Logan Rosen. (Closes: #744480)
  * Fix FTBFS on gcc-7; thanks Steve Langasek. (Closes: #853581)
  * Fix FTBFS on i386; thanks Steve Langasek. (Closes: #848916)
  * Bump debhelper version to 10.
  * Bump standards version to 4.1.0.
  * Update my name.

[ Adam Borowski ]
  * Remove bogus ancient gcc detection completely, fixes FTBFS on gcc-7.
  * Axe redundant/obsolete {Build-,}Depends (dh-autoreconf, autotools-dev,
    texi2html, install-info).
  * wrap-and-sort.
  * Obey dpkg-buildflags.
Though hopefully their patches also fixed it for gcc-6 in Stretch. You could request a backport on the backports mailing list if you can't do it yourself or in the cloud on the openSUSE Build Service.

FTBFS=Failure to build from source.
MX Linux packager and developer

bicyclesonthemoon

#3 Post by bicyclesonthemoon »

Thank you for the answer.

I forgot about the existence of backports.

I'll try to find out how to make a backport and if I'm not successful I'll try requesting.

I have a question.
What is the reason of removing from Stretch a package that was present in Wheezy and re-adding it in Buster?
I'm not asking just about this specific package, but more general.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

One obvious reason, as stated before, is because it won't build with the release's toolchain.

I'll see if I can add a Stretch build to my OBS multimedia Stretch backports repo, contingent on it actually building successfully.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Builds successfully for Stretch in my multimedia backports repo: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ubicplayer

bicyclesonthemoon

#6 Post by bicyclesonthemoon »

Thank you very much for this.