Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Clean completely?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pironman

Clean completely?

#1 Post by pironman »

Time ago I have installed chromium web browser, but then I remove it. All the operations via apt-get.
When I clean the PC via BleachBit, I see also chromium and other program that I don't have anymore in my PC.
That's mean that somethings of these programs remain in the PC? How can I clean it completely?

Thank you

Wheelerof4te

Re: Clean completely?

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Code: Select all

apt purge packagename
In your case:

apt purge chromium
This will remove the package and most of it's config files. But something will still remain.
To get rid of obsolete dependencies of all packages:

apt autoremove
Keep in mind, if you are using GNOME or KDE, core metapackages of these DE's require either firefox-esr or chromium package installed. Otherwise most of your system will be flagged for autoremove.
Use autoremove command only on Stable, and only when you are absolutely sure you don't need those packages.

n_hologram

#3 Post by n_hologram »

apt-get clean
is another useful command.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

Hello. It is generally advisable to purge removed packages (purging a package will generally also purge its log files, so you might want to back them up first).
The following command displays a list of all removed packages that may have configuration files left on the system (if any):

$ dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ { print $2 }'
The packages can be removed by using apt-get purge. Assuming you want to purge all of them in one go, you can use the following command:

# apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | awk '/^rc/ { print $2 }')
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

stuff in ~/.config and ~/.cache (and sometimes also ~/.local/share) still remains and has to be removed manually.

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

debiman wrote:stuff in ~/.config and ~/.cache (and sometimes also ~/.local/share) still remains and has to be removed manually.
Yup, a recent

rm -r .cache
cleared around 5GB.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

yes but please do NOT removed the complete .config and .local folders.
:mrgreen:
what i meant was manual research, e.g. the (uninstalled) chromium has a folder by that name in ~/.config etc.

llivv

#8 Post by llivv »

there are a lot of reasons an install gets dirty, many of them beyond my pay grade.

dpkg
apt
apt-get
aptitude
synaptic
wajig
cupd - if available in the relaease being used

all do a near perfect job of cleaning umwanted cruft from a install (without breaking other installed packages).

Of course if you want to try to clean further -- (at your own risk) --- ) you can use other programs and personal methods to clean things up to better suit ones needs.

deborphan
debian.org/Packages - list all files

beware when treading in the deep end.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.