Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

login first time

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
whitesabre

login first time

#1 Post by whitesabre »

Hi, My problem is when I first tried to login after install it won't allow me to type my password, the cursor just flashes but the letters or numbers don't enter

Wheelerof4te

Re: login first time

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I notice this is your first post. Welcome to the forum :)
First, some reading (click the link below):
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
This is a technical forum, so vague questions without data aren't helpful. Try telling something more about your computer, which Debian version you tried and so on.

whitesabre

#3 Post by whitesabre »

Thank you for the welcome, Right I have just installed Debian GNU/Linux 64 bit unto my HP pavilion notebook, I've run a Debian only OS removing the windows 10 system, Now I downloaded the Debian OS onto a USB stick then booted the HP from the stick, the install went through the whole process without problem, once the install was complete I was prompted to restart everything went through the steps up to the login I can type the username but nothing happens went I try to type the password. I may be able to reinstall the OS but I'm not sure how to do it,

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

That gives us a start.
I suppose (but don't really know) you downloaded small network installer from the main page. Once you picked the language, set the root and normal user, etc., did the installer prompt you to configure something called "apt"? If it did (and it succeeded), then the connection is not the problem. Debian has strict policy against including non-free firmware (driver code) required by many wi-fi cards to work. My suggestion is to reinstall Debian using ethernet (LAN) cable for connection.
You can also grab the unofficial .iso that includes mentioned firmware:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... 64/iso-cd/
Anyway, just follow the prompts of the graphical installer, read carefully and it won't be a big problem. Be sure to pick one Desktop Environment on the task selection phase, else you won't have graphical interface. Either one except LXDE (it's not feature-rich) is good for a standard laptop these days.

whitesabre

#5 Post by whitesabre »

Thanks for your help I will follow your advice, just to let you know what I'm doing, I was going try the Debian/Linux OS on my older HP just to get to know the system and then if I find it easier to use than win10 I want to install it onto my Acer Aspire ES 14, I am not very computer literate and find win10 hard to manage. I also like the policy's of the Debian producers as they seem to be more people based not just running for profit the fact that the developers give their time and effort freely and like you Wheelerof4te you answered my query within minutes these are just some of the reasons I want to change to this system. I'll let you know how things turn out for me in the next couple of days hopefully using a laptop running Linux. Kind Regards to you from whitesabre

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

If more problems creep in, just ask :)
Acer (this model) will surely need non-free firmware for it's wi-fi, it's best to just use the installer I've linked in my previous post. I have Debian running on my HP pavilion 15, and it's working great so far :)
It's even hybrid Intel/AMD laptop.

whitesabre

#7 Post by whitesabre »

Only thing I can say now is thanks and talk soon