Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Vivaldi Browser Codecs [Solved]

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
llewellen

Vivaldi Browser Codecs [Solved]

#1 Post by llewellen »

I downloaded and installed Vivaldi-stable via a .deb file from Vivaldi's website. I assume because of proprietary issues it doesn't come with HTML5 and MP4 (H.264AAC) codecs installed. However, those codecs are available in separate packages in ubuntu and arch repositories, perhaps others.

Is there a package available to use with Debian? Can I install from the ubuntu repository? Thank you.
Last edited by llewellen on 2018-05-19 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

Wheelerof4te

Re: Vivaldi Browser Codecs

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Just use the package from the main repo:

Code: Select all

apt install gstreamer1.0-libav

llewellen

#3 Post by llewellen »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Just use the package from the main repo:

Code: Select all

apt install gstreamer1.0-libav
Please excuse my newbie ignorance but won't that have to be associated with Vivaldi somehow? If so, how?
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

It will install the needed codecs system-wide, so not only Vivaldi will use them, your other video/audio decoding programs will also.

llewellen

#5 Post by llewellen »

I installed gstreamer1.0-libav but some sites, such as the one below won't play in Vivaldi but they do play in Firefox. Apparently, there's something more in that package available for ubuntu and arch.

https://www.knowledge.ca/program/ancien ... reek-thing
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Streaming works fine on both Firefox and Chromium for me. I don't know why Vivaldi doesn't play them, but it should. Why don't you contact Vivaldi devs?
Standard DE install of Debian should already give you all the codecs you need. How did you install Debian?

llewellen

#7 Post by llewellen »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Streaming works fine on both Firefox and Chromium for me. I don't know why Vivaldi doesn't play them, but it should. Why don't you contact Vivaldi devs?
Standard DE install of Debian should already give you all the codecs you need. How did you install Debian?
It is definitely a Vivaldi issue. I have it running on Manjaro on a different laptop and it needed a separate pacakge of codecs specifically for Vivaldi from the AUR. That package is also available in the ubuntu repos, and I was looking for the same thing for debian.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

It needs ffmpeg codecs in a folder where Vivaldi knows where to find them. The same question has been asked here before about the same codecs for Chromium.

Possibly you can adapt the solution from the Slimjet FAQ: https://www.slimjet.com/en/libffmpeg.php
MX Linux packager and developer

llewellen

#9 Post by llewellen »

stevepusser wrote:It needs ffmpeg codecs in a folder where Vivaldi knows where to find them. The same question has been asked here before about the same codecs for Chromium.

Possibly you can adapt the solution from the Slimjet FAQ: https://www.slimjet.com/en/libffmpeg.php
Thank you very much. It was easy to adapt and so far appears to have done the trick. I have tried it on two TV channels I like to stream and both played audio and video without a hitch.

stevepusser

Re: Vivaldi Browser Codecs [Solved]

#10 Post by stevepusser »

It seems that the Ubuntu chromium-ffmpeg packages should also install and work in Debian, according to Vivaldi: https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d156d30affef655
MX Linux packager and developer