Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can you please include yet another 'shell/tool' as default?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
ALIENQuake

Can you please include yet another 'shell/tool' as default?

#1 Post by ALIENQuake »

Hi,

Can you please include yet another 'shell/tool' as default? I'm talking about Powershell. I need this to do my stuff and having it as default system component would be a life savior.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Can you please include yet another 'shell/tool' as defau

#2 Post by arochester »

This is Debian User Forums, for people who use Debian.

It is not Debian Developers Forums, for people who make Debian.

You come here, with your first post and ask for a Microsoft product to be installed in Linux as a default?

Look at https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/insta ... ributions/

It's not hard.

ALIENQuake

#3 Post by ALIENQuake »

Thanks but it's not what I've asked. I know how to install it but that's not the point. The point is to have it ready out-of-the-box. It brings significant value for me and what I do for customers.
You come here, with your first post and ask for a Microsoft product to be installed in Linux as a default?
My suggestion is to provide value for the customers. I need Powershell for my work and the solutions which I've build for my customers also need it. Does it matter that it is my first post?
I'm not asking for a "Microsoft product to be installed in Linux as a default", I'm asking for "OPEN SOURCE productivity tool" to be included as yet another shell for the people who want to use it, similar to shell and bash.

I hope that you can see reasons of this request. Thanks for clarification that it's not Debian Developers Forums. Can you point me to the right place?

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

I hope that you can see reasons of this request. Thanks for clarification that it's not Debian Developers Forums. Can you point me to the right place?
Probably a lot of steps involved. I think first it needs to be requested, then someone has to agree to maintain the pkg. After that I have no idea how or who decides what goes in a basic install, or the different task-*-desktop pkgs...

Maybe start here and see if you really want to pursue it, sure go ahead.
https://www.debian.org/devel/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

ALIENQuake wrote:Thanks but it's not what I've asked. I know how to install it but that's not the point. The point is to have it ready out-of-the-box.
no. it is not the debian way. free software, social contract etc.
look it up.
i think you're in the wrong place here altogether.
My suggestion is to provide value for the customers.
you mean YOUR customers (there's no such thing as debian customers). so YOU do it.
I'm not asking for a "Microsoft product to be installed in Linux as a default", I'm asking for "OPEN SOURCE productivity tool" to be included as yet another shell for the people who want to use it, similar to shell and bash.
are you saying microsoft powershell is open source? that would be news to me.
Thanks for clarification that it's not Debian Developers Forums. Can you point me to the right place?
i'd rather not. they'd be justly annoyed at me for doing so. and the answer would be VERY similar to ours. simply put: NO to MS software on ANY GNU/Linux.

swathe

#7 Post by swathe »

Powershell might be specific to Ops workflow, but I'm more than sure most people would not want powershell included by default. I can't see the logic behind including packages based purely on a single forum users request. The base install would be gigantic if everyone got the apps they wanted installed by default.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

You file a WTP bug in Debian, requesting that somebody package it if possible. It's up to the maintainers from then on.
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I wouldn't bet on it. Microsoft's Powershell does not belong to a standard GNU/Linux toolset, so there isn't much sense for it to be included by default.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

isn't powershell something MS invented to catch up with gnu/linux awesome terminal capabilities?
it would seem a bit backwards to put it into a debian install...

golinux

#11 Post by golinux »

Just use Windows to use Windows tools. We don't need a chimera in Linuxland.
May the FORK be with you!