Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Safest way to make (smb?) mounts available via internet

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
felixm

Safest way to make (smb?) mounts available via internet

#1 Post by felixm »

I have a small server at home and I'd like to make certain folders like music etc. available to me at all times. Currently I have some Samba mounts but I only use them in my intranet. To access those mounts I tunnel via SSH but this is not very applicable on smartphones. Is there a safe way so that I could use permanent mounts on my smartphone? What would you use? SMB? NFS? SSHfs?

debiman

Re: Safest way to make (smb?) mounts available via internet

#2 Post by debiman »

i know what you want.
i've been there, and i see no way to do this on an android smartphone. you'd need a dedicated media server (i used libresonic succesfully).
could you elaborate on the smartphone bit?
as far as other non-local gnu/linux machines are concerned, i sometimes use sshfs, but if i could do this across all devices i'd delve into NFS with kerberos, i think.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Safest way to make (smb?) mounts available via internet

#3 Post by steve_v »

I use webdav and sftp, both have pretty decent clients on android, though the best are not free. Or run a VPN and use SMB.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.