Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Apt Update Output Question

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
llewellen

Apt Update Output Question

#1 Post by llewellen »

This mornng I ran apt update apt upgrade and received this. What does it mean? What to do about it? I kept the local version currently installed (for the time being) so as not to inadvertently break something. Thanks.

Code: Select all

Package configuration
 ┌────────────────────┤ Configuring unattended-upgrades ├────────────────────┐
 │ A new version (/usr/share/unattended-upgrades/20auto-upgrades-disabled)   │ 
 │ of configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades is available,   │ 
 │ but the version installed currently has been locally modified.            │ 
 │                                                                           │ 
 │ What do you want to do about modified configuration file                  │ 
 │ 20auto-upgrades?                                                          │ 
 │           install the package maintainer's version                        │ 
 │           keep the local version currently installed                      │ 
 │           show the differences between the versions                       │ 
 │           show a side-by-side difference between the versions             │ 
 │           show a 3-way difference between available versions              │ 
 │           do a 3-way merge between available versions                     │ 
 │           start a new shell to examine the situation                      │ 
 │                                  <Ok>                                     │ 
 └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ 

debiman

Re: Apt Update Output Question

#2 Post by debiman »

show the differences between the versions?
start a new shell to examine the situation?

llewellen

#3 Post by llewellen »

debiman wrote:show the differences between the versions?
start a new shell to examine the situation?
Yes, I did try looking at "show the differences" but I am too much of a neophyte to assess meaningfully what the differences might imply; possibly leading to breakage.

In any event, I don't want unattended upgrades because I would like to see what is being upgraded, even if I don't fully comprehend it. That's why this package is disabled. I'm thinking I should just leave it as is, unless that will create other problems. So, if it's going to remain disabled then it's moot whether it gets upgraded??
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Who modified it after installation? If you did, why not just accept the new version and change it again?
MX Linux packager and developer

llewellen

#5 Post by llewellen »

stevepusser wrote:Who modified it after installation? If you did, why not just accept the new version and change it again?
If I did it, I don't recall how I did it :((

Currently, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades contains:

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";
APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "0";

Am I correct in reading this that the zeroes mean that unattended upgrades are not enabled (i.e. are disabled)? If so, doesn't the new version listed in the output above say that the new version proposed for installation also has unattended upgrades disabled? Then it should be OK to go ahead and install the new version.
It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

Whenever I am confronted by something new that I don't understand I choose "install the package maintainer's version." Sticking with an old configuration may cause me more trouble in the long run. Generally the reason for the changes becomes clear over the next several months.

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

tell us which version of Debian you have installed and someone can double check for you
or you can take a look at
debian.org/Packages
Search the contents of packages
( 20auto-upgrades )
packages that contain files named like this
choose the Debian version

and it will show you which packages install that file

than you should know how to deal with it to your liking.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

llewellen

#8 Post by llewellen »

This isn't a huge deal; I'm just trying to learn and understand the process. I'm running debian-testing. A search of 20auto-upgrades in packages returned "sorry, your search gave no results".

BTW whenever I try to upload an image I keep getting "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached".

llewellen

#9 Post by llewellen »

Bulkley wrote:Whenever I am confronted by something new that I don't understand I choose "install the package maintainer's version." Sticking with an old configuration may cause me more trouble in the long run. Generally the reason for the changes becomes clear over the next several months.
I would be tempted to go with this as well, so long as it means (as the original text seems to say) that unattended updates will remain disabled.

llivv

#10 Post by llivv »

llewellen wrote:This isn't a huge deal; I'm just trying to learn and understand the process. I'm running debian-testing. A search of 20auto-upgrades in packages returned "sorry, your search gave no results".

BTW whenever I try to upload an image I keep getting "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached".
There are two search boxes on the debian.org/Packages page
the first is "Search package directories" in the debian repos
you have to go the second searh box titled:

Search the contents of packages

than you have to chose the second bulleted option titled:

packages that contain files named like this

than chose Testing
and you can leave Any in the Architecture box

I hope you find the package this time
Best of Luck :)

llewellen

#11 Post by llewellen »

OK thank you. The search returned only one result - the file listed in the output I originally posted. Since this board says it attachment quota is filled, I can't post a screenshot. The package name is "unattended-upgrades" (1.2). The description says:

"automatic installation of security upgrades
This package can download and install security upgrades automatically and unattended, taking care to only install packages from the configured APT source, and checking for dpkg prompts about configuration file changes.
This script is the backend for the APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade option."

This seems innocuous to me. I'm inclined to go with accepting the package maintainer's version.

llivv

#12 Post by llivv »

not sure why you have unattended-upgrades installed if you don't want to use it
unless it creates a problem when you try to remove it.

I don't have full blown systemd installed of buster or sid to double check what hacks are involved

I do see in the changelog recent changes to 50-unatteded-upgrades file.

BUT - there are systemd hooks for it in other places that I haven't looked at yet.

if it's not that big a deal - installing the maintainers new config file might be the way you want to go - but it also may change that
boolean 0 (disabled) to a
1 - as it showed on my sid when I just installed it.

Me, I'd double check what it looks like to remove that package - hopfully it will come out clean
and you wouldn't have to worry about what the new configuration looks like

or you could read the man unattened-upgrades

or look at the examples files in
/usr/share/unattended-upgrades

llewellen

#13 Post by llewellen »

@llivv: I agree that it doesn't make much sense to have unattended-upgrades installed and then turn around and disable it but I didn't explicitly install it in the first place. Is it possible that somewhere during installation or setup I declined an option for automatic updates and that produced this result?

However, it may be moot. The new /usr/ file that will replace it appears also to be set to disabled, if I read that initial output correctly.

Also, if I decide to go with the package maintainer's new version and that turns out to have enabled unattended-upgrades, I should be able to go back in and disable it after the fact, no?

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

Bulkley wrote:Whenever I am confronted by something new that I don't understand I choose "install the package maintainer's version." Sticking with an old configuration may cause me more trouble in the long run. Generally the reason for the changes becomes clear over the next several months.
that's an admirably fatalistic attitude!

llivv

#15 Post by llivv »

llewellen wrote:@llivv: I agree that it doesn't make much sense to have unattended-upgrades installed and then turn around and disable it but I didn't explicitly install it in the first place. Is it possible that somewhere during installation or setup I declined an option for automatic updates and that produced this result?
Yes
I believe even some maintainer configs cause the apt warning you posted in your OP. That is why many believe it is safe to use the maintainers new config file. I used to without question myself. BUT, that was before systemd went mainstream.
So, if you're comfortable using current default Debian than by all means use the maintainers new config file.
llewellen wrote:However, it may be moot. The new /usr/ file that will replace it appears also to be set to disabled, if I read that initial output correctly.
If your talking about 50-unattended-upgrades in /usr/share - that file actually lives in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d - unless I'm mistaken which is a possibility.
I try to use the minimal auto-magic I can possibly get away with and still maintain my comfort level.
llewellen wrote:Also, if I decide to go with the package maintainer's new version and that turns out to have enabled unattended-upgrades, I should be able to go back in and disable it after the fact, no?
If not you could always try to uninstall or downgrade.
I'd investigate that option before rather than later, or at least search out the current way to disable before you accept.

djk44883

#16 Post by djk44883 »

My take on these- if I recognize the file name, I probably edited it and don't want to have re-edit it again. example /etc/samba/smb.conf If I don't recognize the name, then I let it update. If you keep the local version I think the new version is "installed" with a dpkg or something similar added so you can still edit things later if you care to.