Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing a driver by hand.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
stf92

Installing a driver by hand.

#1 Post by stf92 »

Hi: I have installed debian (debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso) on an Acer Aspire One computer. The driver for the wi-fi controller is propietary (non-free firmware) and, so, it is not included in the distribution. However the installer asks for media containing the file (iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode) to be inserted. I have tested in several ways, including putting it into a directory called /media, with no results. So I gave up and installed instead the firmware iso image which comes with non-free distributable drivers. However I want to be able to install without recourse to internet and so (that is to install from the debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso) I need a means to install the driver by hand. OK.

I made

Code: Select all

root@revenge mnt]# locate iwlwifi-3160-17
/home/semoi/Downloads/iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
/stretch/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
/usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
[root@revenge mnt]# 
As you can see, the firmware installer put the driver into /lib/firmware. So, what if after installing debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso I copy the driver to /lib/firmware and make modprobe <name of the driver>? Could it be as simple as that?

Note: I have two partitions mounted. One with Stretch and the other with Arch linux, which is the running OS at present. Hence the duplicated entries. Stretch is mounted on /stretch.

arzgi

Re: Installing a driver by hand.

#2 Post by arzgi »

Why do you use install-disk, if you already have installed stretch? After installation, wifi can be configured, (which propably is the prefferred way) but it does not require installation disk.

EDIT: Now I red your post second time with more tought, and makes more sense. My apologies :roll:
Last edited by arzgi on 2018-05-29 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

So, what if after installing debian-9.4.0-i386-DVD-1.iso I copy the driver to /lib/firmware and make modprobe <name of the driver>? Could it be as simple as that?
That is the way I've been handling firmware for a long time, for several wifi devices, and also for radeon boards. I don't like the big pkgs with all those blobs, when I only need one little file. The downside is, if/when there is an updated ver of the firmware, you don't get it thru apt.

Probably a good idea to remove the module, modprobe -r and then modprobe to get it to work.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stf92

#4 Post by stf92 »

Thanks. But tell me, if you please, what permissions should the file have, I mean the driver? And could I use the ping command to see if things work?