Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Completing a basic installation with apt-get?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
stf92

Completing a basic installation with apt-get?

#1 Post by stf92 »

Hi: I made a netinst installation (debian-9.4.0-i386-netinst.iso) without a network connection and as a concequence I only have a very basic install. How could I complete it now I am running the OS? apt-get?

tynman

Re: Completing a basic installation with apt-get?

#2 Post by tynman »

The two main ways to install Debian are (1) buy a set of installation CDs, or (2) download an "installation image" - such as the netinst image.

You have the same choices for running apt to install additional software. The apt program will install stuff it finds either on the Debian CDs or from a repository on the internet.

It is also generally assumed that you have a network connection available when attempting a netinst install. I didn't realize the netinst installation could work at all without one.

Anyway, do you have a network connection now?

If yes, I would suggest you start over with the netinst install. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's still what I would recommend.

If no, you can order Debian installation CDs.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

tynman wrote:I didn't realize the netinst installation could work at all without one.
Yes, one installs a minimal system that has the basics. It really is bare bones. You can boot it but not much more. It does come with basic tools which enables the user to edit the repository sources.list. After connecting to the Internet (usually with an Ethernet cable directly to a router) the user can download whichever software he/she wants. Usually, but not necessarily, one would install X or whatever they choose to display GUIs and proceed from there.

What many of us like is that we wind up with a system truly customized to what we want without a lot of stuff we'll never use.

stf92

#4 Post by stf92 »

Thanks for the reply. When running the netinst I had not the wi-fi driver, because it's non-free proprietary software and does not come in the iso image. So now with a running system, and the driver copied onto /lib/firmware, I expect to complete the installation with apt-get. So I must edit the sources.lst file? And that file is not on my computer but in the repository?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

So I must edit the sources.lst file? And that file is not on my computer but in the repository?
The file is on your computer.

Look at this >>> https://dflinux.frama.io/thebeginnersha ... re-sources Scroll down to "Modifying the Repositories".