Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9.4.0: Wi-Fi networks: device not managed.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
stf92

Debian 9.4.0: Wi-Fi networks: device not managed.

#1 Post by stf92 »

Hi: I have just installed the ISO image firmware-9.4.0-i386-netinst.iso, which contains non-free propietary drivers needed by the wi-fi controller in this machine. After installation I booted and placing the mouse cursor over the network icon it says "No network connection". Clicking I read:

Code: Select all

Wi-Fi networks:
    device not managed
What does it mean? The installer itself had no problems using the Internet.

bw123

Re: Debian 9.4.0: Wi-Fi networks: device not managed.

#2 Post by bw123 »

I usually see that on network-manager when a device is hard/soft blocked by a switch or rfkill, or when the device is listed in /etc/network/interfaces, or when the device is set to unmanaged by .conf file somewhere in /etc/NetworkManager

I guess there could be other reasons that it is unmanaged, the best way to find out is probably to read some documentation.

If you are not using networkmanager, then read the documentation for whatever gui tool you installed, or try some websearches.

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stf92

Re: Debian 9.4.0: Wi-Fi networks: device not managed.

#3 Post by stf92 »

Well, thanks very much. In the meanwhile I have found a solution in Google: in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf I replace line 'managed=false' by 'managed=true', I rebooted and had Internet at once. But yours is also mentioned in Google. And thanks for the link.