Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Are 12-Bit Panels Supported?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MrWaldtölpel

Are 12-Bit Panels Supported?

#1 Post by MrWaldtölpel »

I created a config file with the following content in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
ection "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
DefaultDepth 36
SubSection "Display"
Depth 36
EndSubSection
EndSection
and got practically nothing. lightdm org xfce4 doesn't seem to start at all. All I see is a terminal showing some last status messages like "lightdm ist starting". All I can do is to switch to another login terminal and change the config file to a bit depth of 30 and restart. That 10-Bit mode is working fine.g

What is causing this? Is this 12-bit mode simply not supported by the drivers - even not by the official one from nvidia? Do I have to change something in the xorg or kernel configuration and recompile? The graphics card I have should definitively support it. Could you please put some light into the dark?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Are 12-Bit Panels Supported?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MrWaldtölpel wrote:and got practically nothing
Please post the Xorg log file for the failed session, thanks.

EDIT: your posted stanza is missing an "S" at the start of "Section", is that in the actual file?
deadbang

MrWaldtölpel

#3 Post by MrWaldtölpel »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: EDIT: your posted stanza is missing an "S" at the start of "Section", is that in the actual file?
It was just a stupid copy and paste errror. It's correct in the config file. Here is the Xorg log file:

https://pastebin.com/Vre3K9rj

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

OK, first of all I should mention that I don't actually know if 12-bit colour is supported in Debian, I did a brief search out of pure curiosity but I couldn't find anything definitive.

So all I can really offer is an observation that you appear to be running the testing/unstable Xorg version with a stable kernel so you should probably try a system in which those two packages are from the same branch of Debian.

There is an obvious error message in the log:

Code: Select all

NVIDIA(0): No bpp for depth (36)
^ This would suggest that it is not possible with your current configuration.

It may also be worth considering that Debian does not officially support the non-free video drivers.
deadbang