Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SSD installation has no GRUB

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
vitorfhc

SSD installation has no GRUB

#1 Post by vitorfhc »

Hello guys,
Today I installed a SSD on my notebook and ran the full and net install of Debian 9.4, both came with no GRUB, booting the ssd gets me a minimal bash grub.
I tried going to my HDD Debian and running the sudo grub-install /dev/sdb but didn't work.
Would appreciate some help.

bw123

Re: SSD installation has no GRUB

#2 Post by bw123 »

It's ok. People will probably want more info, and maybe even some more info after you give more info. I don't understand "minimal bash grub" so if there are informational or error msg then post them. It's a really poor problem dexcription, because you didn't mention what type of machine, medium used to install... etc. Please ask smart questions.

Code: Select all

# blkid
# fdisk -l
Three short sentences to describe this problem, and you would really appreciate some help? Wow, just wow.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

vitorfhc wrote:Today I installed a SSD on my notebook and ran the full and net install of Debian 9.4, both came with no GRUB
The Debian installer doesn't ask about GRUB for UEFI systems.
running the sudo grub-install /dev/sdb but didn't work.
Try adding the --removable flag to the `grub-install` command, this will copy the .efi loader to $ESP/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI and allow the drive to be booted in the absence of any motherboard NVRAM boot entries.

EDIT: presuming that you have an ESP on the SDD ofc.

If there are any problems, post back with the output requested by bw123 and also

Code: Select all

# efibootmgr -v
deadbang

tynman

#4 Post by tynman »

The Debian installer doesn't ask about GRUB for UEFI systems.
Debian installer may not ask about grub, but at least on my 4 UEFI-based machines, it consistently installs grub by default (Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch). Which makes OP's problem even more mysterious. But it looks like OP has already lost interest.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tynman wrote:it consistently installs grub by default (Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch). Which makes OP's problem even more mysterious
It could be that the OP's motherboard "forgets" the added NVRAM boot entry for the removable drive, I have a machine that does this and I've posted in many threads in which a similar problem occurred.
it looks like OP has already lost interest
In fairness to the OP I said to post back only if there was a problem so my suggestion might have worked.

@OP: if so, please mark the thread [SOLVED].
deadbang