Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] GRUB with Debian + Fedora

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
uthappam

[solved] GRUB with Debian + Fedora

#1 Post by uthappam »

My main operating system is Debian 9. On a separate partition on the same hard drive I have installed Fedora 28. After Fedora was installed it was the first option in the GRUB list. In order to make Debian the first, I tried sudo update-grub and then sudo grub-install /dev/sda. Debian then became not the first but the only option -- Fedora had disappeared. Is there any way to add Fedora to GRUB without re-installing it?
Last edited by uthappam on 2018-06-10 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: GRUB with Debian + Fedora

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Do you have os-prober installed?

If not, install it and run `update-grub` again (as root).
deadbang

uthappam

Re: GRUB with Debian + Fedora

#3 Post by uthappam »

Unable to sleep (a common effect of Parkinson's Disease), I decided to install Fedora again. When that was done and I rebooted, I found that Debian had disappeared from the options. Now I can boot only into Fedora and do not know how to restore the GRUB in Debian.

uthappam

Re: [solved] GRUB with Debian + Fedora

#4 Post by uthappam »

It turned out to be straightforward. I remembered that the Debian installation CD has a rescue mode. GRUB was re-installed and then updated in the manner you specified -- after I had checked and found that os-prober was present. Thank you.