Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install a network printer that needs username/password/code

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
alphakilo

Install a network printer that needs username/password/code

#1 Post by alphakilo »

The printer is a Ricoh Aficio MP 7502, which has a Linux driver: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ri ... io_MP_7502

It's a printer on my uni's network, and I'm given the following information:

Code: Select all

Hostname: copier.dept.university.edu
IP Address: XXX.XXX.XX.XX
To print to it, I need to supply
  • * username
    * password
    * lock code
The first two are for authentication over the network, and the lock code is the code I enter once I actually select my print job on the machine. How do I go about installing this printer via CUPS, e.g. the web interface? Or using lpadmin on the terminal? The -U flag on lpadmin appears to govern what local user account should be used to add the printer, not the network user account (my uni domain account) that is used to authenticate with the printer itself

I use Cups 2.2.1 on Debian stretch, with only dwm as the window manager. No Gnome, Xfce, etc.

alphakilo

Re: Install a network printer that needs username/password/c

#3 Post by alphakilo »

Thanks for the link; I wasn't aware of that. I'm still not sure how to actually add the printer with my uni's network username and password, though. Since I'm not using Ubuntu, the only GUI I have for installing printers is the CUPS web interface. It should be possible to add this printer with the lpadmin command, though, right? (And the custom PPD file, per your link, of course)

Bulkley

Re: Install a network printer that needs username/password/c

#4 Post by Bulkley »

. . . the only GUI I have for installing printers is the CUPS web interface.
system-config-printer