Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Envy 14 laptop HDMI monitor not detected

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Avoozl

Envy 14 laptop HDMI monitor not detected

#1 Post by Avoozl »

I have an Envy 14 laptop on which I am running Crunchbang++ with Debian 9. I cannot get the external monitor (TV) to be detected through the HDMI port. I know that the monitor, port, and cable are all working as I had this monitor working with Windows 10. I have done my best to figure this out myself but I'm not sure where to start. As far as I can tell this laptop has two graphics cards, integrated graphics and also an AMD Mobility Radeon card. Thank you for any help you can provide.

bw123

Re: Envy 14 laptop HDMI monitor not detected

#2 Post by bw123 »

Well, the first place to start would probably be xrandr, but for support you should probably go to #!++ https://www.crunchbangplusplus.org/

This page says they have irc channel up... very convenient.
https://www.reddit.com/r/crunchbangplusplus/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Avoozl

#3 Post by Avoozl »

Xrandr does not detect any HDMI device. I get LVDS-1 connected and VGA-1 disconnected.

I doubt very many people use crunchbang++ reddit so I figured asking for help here would be more useful. I'm pretty sure it's not a crunchbang++ specific issue.

The monitor normally displays "no video signal" but while booting that message goes away and the screen goes black but with the backlight on... it comes back to the "no video signal" message once crunchbang++ is fully booted. So I know the computer is at least capable of detecting the monitor...

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Avoozl wrote: ...
I'm pretty sure it's not a crunchbang++ specific issue.
I'm not sure, and without any experience with it, how would anybody on debian forum be able to help? Use the appropraite support for the distro.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Avoozl

#5 Post by Avoozl »

Because crunchbang++ is Debian with a few things already installed. There is very little official support for Crunchbang++. It's done by one person and the reddit for crunchbang++ hasn't seen any posts in almost 20 days.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Avoozl wrote:Because crunchbang++ is Debian with a few things already installed. There is very little official support for Crunchbang++. It's done by one person and the reddit for crunchbang++ hasn't seen any posts in almost 20 days.
Well, if you need support they don;t have, then why using it?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Avoozl

#7 Post by Avoozl »

Because I like the way it's set up, and it has always run well on all of my old computers. Thank you for trying to help but in the meantime I'll wait here and hope that someone else can help me. If anyone else is willing to try to help me I guarantee my system runs debian.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Since it seems to be a hardware issue, how about letting us know what the graphics situation in the machine is? Install inxi and let us see the output of "inxi -F".
MX Linux packager and developer

Avoozl

#9 Post by Avoozl »

System: Host: northwarden Kernel: 4.9.0-6-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine: Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ENVY NOTEBOOK PC v: 057E120011243E10001620000
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1436 v: 59.23 BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.23 date: 11/11/2010
Battery BAT0: charge: 21.2 Wh 77.9% condition: 27.3/27.3 Wh (100%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5 M 480 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 2667 MHz 1: 1733 MHz 2: 1199 MHz 3: 1199 MHz 4: 1199 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting,ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@59.64hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio: Card-1 Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-6-amd64
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 64:31:50:6b:4e:67
Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 58:94:6b:b1:de:e8
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (3.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9500420AS size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 452G used: 13G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.23GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A gpu: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 178 Uptime: 1:43 Memory: 784.2/5769.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

dual graphics, one of them AMD.
this definitely has something to do with your problem.
output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display
please.

also:
  • unplug the monitor
  • enter 'dmesg -w' in terminal
  • plug the monitor in, wait ~10s
  • post everything NEW that appeared in terminal after plugging it in
and please use code tags for code, lest a kitten dies.
Avoozl wrote:I doubt very many people use crunchbang++
yep.
another vanity distro that never thought about support in the first place.
fwiw, there exists a better continuation of the crunchbang distro, with support.

Avoozl

#11 Post by Avoozl »

Okay, I actually kind of figured it out. This laptop has two video cards, the integrated card controls the laptop screen and VGA (although there is no VGA port on this model the computer seems to think that there is) and the discrete card controls the HDMI port and the MiniDisplay port. The integrated card can't access the HDMI port. The option I found is to use the integrated card to process both monitors and send the second monitor to the discrete card for display.

xrandr --list providers
will report:

Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x90 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 2 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x58 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 3 associated providers: 1 name:ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series @ pci:0000:01:00.0
Then

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0
will allow the HDMI port to be recognized as a possible output source by the integrated card. Then xrandr will report HDMI-1-0 and DisplayPort-1-0 as possible outputs (it didn't before) and you can enable HDMI with regular xrandr commands from there.

This is probably not the best way to get this to work, but it works for my purposes. I have a new problem (sound through HDMI isn't working), but I'll probably start a new thread for that later.
debiman wrote: yep.
another vanity distro that never thought about support in the first place.
fwiw, there exists a better continuation of the crunchbang distro, with support.
If you mean Bunsenlabs, I know about it, but they've changed things too much for my liking. I like everything exactly so and I don't like any change. I used to use Ubuntu since Dapper Drake but switched to Crunchbang when Gnome 2 was phased out.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Before I start a new thread, would the way in which I've enabled the HDMI monitor here potentially have anything to do with my problem with no sound over HDMI?

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|3d|display'
reports:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M]
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Mobility Radeon HD 5650
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
I don't really understand the workings of all this very well so it worries me a little that the way I've connected HDMI might have something to do with the reason the sound doesn't work.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

Avoozl wrote:If you mean Bunsenlabs, I know about it, but they've changed things too much for my liking. I like everything exactly so and I don't like any change. I used to use Ubuntu since Dapper Drake but switched to Crunchbang when Gnome 2 was phased out.
fair enough, but i was talking about support, not UI design.
see, that's the problem with many niche distros: they do things to the mothership's default setup, but never think about providing support for their flavor. then the users come running to the mothership's forums in droves, creating lots of frustration (it's an impossible task to support all derivates!), getting angry replies or even kicked out...
at least bunsenlabs has support, and very good one at that.
I don't really understand the workings of all this very well so it worries me a little that the way I've connected HDMI might have something to do with the reason the sound doesn't work.
i never had a monitor with integrated sound, so i don't know.
maybe you just need to choose the right default sound card.
but if initial research doesn't solve it, i think this would warrant a separate thread with proper providing of info etc.