Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No network, no sudo, can only ping guest from guest ;-(

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
COROVICD

No network, no sudo, can only ping guest from guest ;-(

#1 Post by COROVICD »

I installed the latest Debian Stretch on Oracle's VirtualBox v5.2.12 and Windows 7. Virtual Box had found my wired network adapter Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Networked Connection. I've chosen a bridged network.

During the installation DHCP server could not be found, so I went for manual configuration and typed in IP addresses:

Guest ........ 192.168.1.69 (available on my Home network)
Subnet mask .... 254.254.254.0
Default Gateway ... 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers)

VirtualBox Host Only IPv4 address ... 192.168.56.1

When installation got to Installing Package Manager, I selected country and everything went fine. Except, after the installation I found that none of these terminal commands can be found: sudo, ifconfig, /sbin/ifconfig, dig, netstat -antp, ethtool. Practically I can't even do diagnostics tools of the network, since these commands are not there, and because network is not working apt-get install xxxx fails at a point of trying to connect.

If I simply ping guest with: ping 192.168.1.69 it works fine. If I ping Win 7 host with: ping 192.168.1.67 I get "Destination Host Unreachable". I guess that means it's not firewall problem, but a total absence of network connection for the guest. When I ping VirtualBox Host Only IPv4 I get "Destination Host Unreachable"

On the Win 7 host "Local Area Network Connection Properties" there is item for "VirtualBox NDIS Bridged Network Driver" and it's saying "this device works properly".

My DNS server on Win 7 just has two radio buttons selected: "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically".

I guess problem is that DNS server is not recognized during the installation, but I don't know how to fix it. I googled and tried all the above, but didn't get very far.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dai_trying

Re: No network, no sudo, can only ping guest from guest ;-(

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

If you have enabled the network card as "Host-only Adapter" in your VM (VirtualBox Host Only IPv4 address ... 192.168.56.1) settings then you will not have a network connection, it will be set to "local" only, you could set the network card to "NAT" which should use the hosts network.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

By default Debian does not use sudo. To become Root input

Code: Select all

su
When you have finished as Root input

exit
You can install sudo if you want but you will need to configure it.
Grant Sudo Access (Optional)
If you don’t want to give sudo access to the users then you should skip these steps.

apt-get install sudo

usermod -a -G sudo <username>
Replace <username> with your username to which you want to grant sudo access.

Now logout & login to get sudo access to those users.
Source - https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... n-stretch/

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

arochester wrote:By default Debian does not use sudo.
The installer already for some time now installs sudo if root pasword is left empty at installer. The first user added is then in the sudo group.

But then we could discuss, what is default...

COROVICD

#5 Post by COROVICD »

Guys, thank for quick responses.

My problem is network, not the sudo and about 5 other commands. Without network I can't download and install sudo.

Please just give me advice on sorting the network problem first. If you need more info, i'll dig it up for you.

COROVICD

#6 Post by COROVICD »

Dai_trying wrote:If you have enabled the network card as "Host-only Adapter" in your VM (VirtualBox Host Only IPv4 address ... 192.168.56.1) settings then you will not have a network connection, it will be set to "local" only, you could set the network card to "NAT" which should use the hosts network.
Sorry, I don't get it. I haven't set my network card to "Host-only Adapter", I've set it to "Bridged Adapter". I was following instructions from a YouTube video and the guy set it up as "Bridged adapter".

OK, I'll try NAT. But, as I understand, with NAT I can only SSH from PC to my BeagleBone, not other way around. Can I do it without reinstalling Debian (it takes 2 hours)?

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

Because you stated the address for the "Host-only Adapter" I thought you had set it up, otherwise there would be no IP address for it.

You can always set the network adapter as NAT (and allow DHCP) until you get whatever packages you need installed and then you can switch to whatever bridged connection you are happy with once you have the required packages to debug any problems.

COROVICD

#8 Post by COROVICD »

Yeah, I am reinstalling with NAT right now. So far it didn't complain that it can't find network, so it looks good.

I didn't enable DHCP because I was never asked. On my host PC DHCP is enabled by default. Is that enough?

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

Yes, that should be ok, hope all goes well this time. :)

COROVICD

#10 Post by COROVICD »

Guys, thanks a lot. Two re-installs later and it worked like a charm. This is my first success in installing Linux, in about 10 attempts. Doesn't look bad.

For anybody out there, after I selected NAT for Network Adapter in VirtualBox everything worked fine. During the installation DHCP on Win 7 was automatically recognized by installer and all the packages were downloaded from FTP repository. My original choice of "Bridging Adapter" was mistake.

Onward and Forwards ;-) (I am sure I'll be back soon, with more problems ;-)