Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

virtual "Internet Explorer with Java"

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
1byte

virtual "Internet Explorer with Java"

#1 Post by 1byte »

Hi,

I am looking for solution on how to get on my Debian Stretch machine working Internet Explorer with Java preferably on Win 7,
do I need the full blown Win 7 in virtual with IE and Java installed taking xxGB space on the HDD?

I have tried ies4linux, but there are libraries missing:

LINE75:
download http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... DCOM98.EXE - BLOCKED
download http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vc/mfc42.cab - BLOCKED
download http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 73USA8.exe

0% VGX.CABDEBUG: File VGX.CAB not found
0% SCR56EN.CABDEBUG: Download PID=13807
0% SCR56EN.CABDEBUG: File SCR56EN.CAB not found
[ OK ]

Installing IE 6
Initializing
Creating Wine Prefix
DEBUG: wine: created the configuration directory '/home/donald/.ies4linux/ie6'
DEBUG: err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
DEBUG: err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
DEBUG: err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
DEBUG: err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
DEBUG: err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
DEBUG: err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
DEBUG: err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}
DEBUG: err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
DEBUG: err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
DEBUG: err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002
DEBUG: Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
DEBUG: Could not load wine-gecko. HTML rendering will be disabled.
DEBUG: wine: configuration in '/home/donald/.ies4linux/ie6' has been updated.
DEBUG: wine: cannot find L"C:\windows\system32\wineprefixcreate.exe"
Extracting CAB files
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/ADVAUTH.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/CRLUPD.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/HHUPD.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/IEDOM.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/IE_EXTRA.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/IE_S*.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/SETUPW95.CAB: No such file or directory
/home/donald/.ies4linux/downloads/ie6/EN-US/VGX.CAB: No such file or directory
An error occured when trying to cabextract some files.

GarryRicketson

Re: virtual "Internet Explorer with Java"

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Why not just setup a VM, install windows 7 to it, then you have the IE that is
for windows 7 ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEs4LinuxDiscontinuation

As the development of IEs4Linux still has been inactive since 2008,[5] there is some probability of discontinuation.[6]
We are here to help people fix their system, not break it, and wine is rather limited as to uses.
It would be nice if you could at least learn to use code boxes as well.

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=debian+internet+explorer
i see there's some extremely outdated info.
the first search result is not always the best, more diligence is required.
try these instead:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/682320/ ... t-explorer
https://www.rdeeson.com/weblog/126/how- ... thout-wine
https://askubuntu.com/questions/387584/ ... untu-12-04
be aware that most of these are for ubuntu, not debian. there are differences. don't add ubuntu sources or ppas to debian.

1byte

#4 Post by 1byte »

@debiman Thank you for the links

Winetricks do not work any more installing IE8
so looks like VirtualBox/M$ virtual machine disk images is the only option.

This project looks interesting
https://github.com/xdissent/ievms
but IE11 - Win7-disk1.vmdk image has 11G :(

1byte

#6 Post by 1byte »

Update on https://github.com/xdissent/ievms images,

the only one that is working 2day is MSEdge,
looks like no older versions of IE are available anymore :(

pcalvert

#7 Post by pcalvert »

Which version(s) of Internet Explorer are you looking for? I see that quite a few options are available from here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

1byte

#8 Post by 1byte »

I have tried PlayOnLinux on my other machine running Stretch/Cinamon, installation of IE8 taking 36 minutes :)
And the end result is that IE8 displays erro msg.:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

If I try any other webpage like bbc.co.uk, it will crash with Error in POL_Wine

So I have tried re-installing Wine 1.7.22, but no change .... it still does not work :(

jibberjabber

#9 Post by jibberjabber »

What is the big obsession with Internet Explorer ? It is really not very good software, and closed source, Why would any one using Debian or any Linux system even want to use it, when there are so much better Opensource browsers available for Linux, and even for Ms windows,...
Anyway, the OP might want to look at this:
How to Run Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9 in Linux with or without Wine
Friday, 29 June 12, 11:34 am
Microsoft have a wonderfully long history of badly designed software that they're proudly continuing to this day with the abomination of IE 9 and the ghastly sham that is Windows 7. It's a tribute to the skills of the many hard-working marketing heads over at Redmond that despite the poor quality and the easy availability of superior cost-free alternatives, people the world over keep coming back to Microsoft like hookers on crack.
IEs4Linux
IE's popularity has exasperated professional web developers ever since the internet became more than an academic curio in the late 90s. Other than simple dual booting, the first option for those who wanted to test their sites on IE was tatanka's IEs4Linux, which uses wine to run the IE web installer. Just as if it were running under Windows, the installer connects to MS's servers, downloads, and then installs IE on your Linux machine. It's still available, but has for the most part been superseded by the winetricks installation described below.
Running Recent IE Versions
However, IE 6 usage has finally shrunk down to a mere couple of percent of web users, and can at last be ignored for the vast majority of web sites. Sure, there are people out there using IE 6, but in most cases they can be safely ignored as such people - with their ancient dusty desktops clunking along - are, to be blunt, unlikely to be big spenders on the internet.
I think some one all ready suggested it, but any way, create a VM , and install MS windows 7 , or Windows XP, (better for IE6) to it, it will have Internet Explorer6, if you really must have it.
It seems odd to me that this is being discussed on a Linux forum, being it is windows software etc,... I do see how one might need help setting up a VM on Linux, ... but the rest really has nothing to do with linux, nor open source software, etc. If it was open source, it probably could be modified to even run on liunx, but why ? It is about the worst browser I have ever seen or used.

jibberjabber

#10 Post by jibberjabber »

=====
=====
====
I do not go on line with it, there is no anti virus or anything installed,
just kind of a use less toy. Actually this was what I did for a kid that needed
Windows XP for his school work, sometime ago, so I setup the VM on his laptop
for that, but that is another topic.
=====edit====
do I need the full blown Win 7 in virtual with IE and Java installed taking xxGB space on the HDD?
Note, I am not sure on windows 7, but the directory for the XP VM is
17gb, so it does take a few gb.

1byte

#11 Post by 1byte »

jibberjabber wrote:What is the big obsession with Internet Explorer ? It is really not very good software, and closed source, Why would any one using Debian or any Linux system even want to use it, when there are so much better Opensource browsers available for Linux, and even for Ms windows,...
Anyway, the OP might want to look at this:
How to Run Internet Explorer 7, 8 and 9 in Linux with or without Wine
Friday, 29 June 12, 11:34 am
Microsoft have a wonderfully long history of badly designed software that they're proudly continuing to this day with the abomination of IE 9 and the ghastly sham that is Windows 7. It's a tribute to the skills of the many hard-working marketing heads over at Redmond that despite the poor quality and the easy availability of superior cost-free alternatives, people the world over keep coming back to Microsoft like hookers on crack.
IEs4Linux
IE's popularity has exasperated professional web developers ever since the internet became more than an academic curio in the late 90s. Other than simple dual booting, the first option for those who wanted to test their sites on IE was tatanka's IEs4Linux, which uses wine to run the IE web installer. Just as if it were running under Windows, the installer connects to MS's servers, downloads, and then installs IE on your Linux machine. It's still available, but has for the most part been superseded by the winetricks installation described below.
Running Recent IE Versions
However, IE 6 usage has finally shrunk down to a mere couple of percent of web users, and can at last be ignored for the vast majority of web sites. Sure, there are people out there using IE 6, but in most cases they can be safely ignored as such people - with their ancient dusty desktops clunking along - are, to be blunt, unlikely to be big spenders on the internet.
I think some one all ready suggested it, but any way, create a VM , and install MS windows 7 , or Windows XP, (better for IE6) to it, it will have Internet Explorer6, if you really must have it.
It seems odd to me that this is being discussed on a Linux forum, being it is windows software etc,... I do see how one might need help setting up a VM on Linux, ... but the rest really has nothing to do with linux, nor open source software, etc. If it was open source, it probably could be modified to even run on liunx, but why ? It is about the worst browser I have ever seen or used.

Working for one of the "FTSE 100" company you be surprised what they use, to log an IT issue I still need to have Adobe Flash Player installed otherwise it does not work,
but luckily I would not be doing it from home (or any of my PC's), but, unfortunately to see where and when I work I need to have Java and IE
so it would be very useful to me and many of may collogues who do not own product running M$ OS (Android, Mac OS or iPhones/iPads) ... ........

1byte

#12 Post by 1byte »

jibberjabber wrote:Image
=====
=====
====
I do not go on line with it, there is no anti virus or anything installed,
just kind of a use less toy. Actually this was what I did for a kid that needed
Windows XP for his school work, sometime ago, so I setup the VM on his laptop
for that, but that is another topic.
=====edit====
Note, I am not sure on windows 7, but the directory for the XP VM is
17gb, so it does take a few gb.

17GB that's quite a loot,
I will have to look at the https://github.com/xdissent/ievms project in more detail
a perhaps try "1.6G IE8 - WinXP-disk1.vmdk" see how much space will that take installed ...
Thanx for the post.

alexandra_m

#13 Post by alexandra_m »

jibberjabber wrote:What is the big obsession with Internet Explorer ? It is really not very good software, and closed source, Why would any one using Debian or any Linux system even want to use it, when there are so much better Opensource browsers available for Linux, and even for Ms windows,...
1. as someone already pointed, sometimes, you do not have a choice because your company uses x, y or z crapware that works only on Windows or in IE (even specific version of it)

2. if you are a web front end developer and do not want to rely on third party/paid/hacky tools to test your crossplatform/browser compatibility

3. sadomasochism

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

1byte wrote:Working for one of the "FTSE 100" company you be surprised what they use, to log an IT issue I still need to have Adobe Flash Player installed otherwise it does not work.
pure evil!
sadomasochism indeed.