Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need to submit bug for pulseaudio [SOLVED]

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ckosloff

Need to submit bug for pulseaudio [SOLVED]

#1 Post by ckosloff »

Hi all,
I use the testing branch and reported previously issues with pulseaudio losing sound, I found a work-around by reinstalling the package but it did not last for long.
I recently did a dist-upgrade to try to fix the issue,but it only worsened it, now there is no way I can recover sound, not by reinstalling, or using pavucomtrol, nothing was removed during the last dist-upgrade, so I think that I have to submit bug.
Please help.
Last edited by ckosloff on 2018-07-10 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Dai_trying

Re: Need to submit bug for pulseaudio

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

ckosloff

#3 Post by ckosloff »

I already submitted bug #903315.
Probem is that I need a fast fix, can you suggest what needs to be done?
I am in testing branch , I have other computers where pulseaudio works, older kernels.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Try and find other testing users that have encountered the same problem, not just on this forum, but on other places, such as the Debian sudreddit. Work scientifically with them to try and discover the root cause of the problem.

If you're not prepared for things to break, why are you running testing?
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Have a look at the solutions here - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137850 . Disabling Timidity might help.

I looked at your bug report. It doesn't provide any details apart from the same brief text in your post here so will probably not get any action.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

ckosloff

#6 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:If you're not prepared for things to break, why are you running testing?
And what is your suggestion?
I run testing because I damn like it, it is a thrill like running sid.
Last edited by ckosloff on 2018-07-09 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

ckosloff

#7 Post by ckosloff »

sunrat wrote:Have a look at the solutions here - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=137850 . Disabling Timidity might help.

I looked at your bug report. It doesn't provide any details apart from the same brief text in your post here so will probably not get any action.
Well, there is no more to post than the brief text, it is silenced,no tests can be done.
Although from another computer that works I got the idea to load package pasystray and reinstall pulse audio, it is working now, but it might crash again any minute.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

You could run your audio program from a terminal and leave the terminal open while it runs. It may show an error message when it crashes.
Also you can check journal for errors. For the current boot:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -p 3
or for the previous boot:

journalctl -b -1 -p 3
You should try to help us help you. It's ok to use testing but it will break. Bug reports that just say "it doesn't work" are unlikely to be useful. When using testing it's good to learn how to diagnose problems.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

ckosloff

#9 Post by ckosloff »

sunrat wrote: Disabling Timidity might help.
Please post how to disable timidity, if I try to remove it it will take away lots of kde packages and I will be left with an unusable system.
I cannot test the session that is silenced since it starts silenced, sometimes reinstalling packages and restarting helps but behavior is unreliable, it would be a pity if maintainers don't take a close look and fix pulse audio.
From other posts I noticed that users with this problem also use kde, so it might be something deeper than pulse audio.

ckosloff

#10 Post by ckosloff »

I also noticed that when it starts silenced Built-in Audio Analog Stereo disappears from Output Devices in pavucontrol, its port is Line Out (plugged in)
The thing that never disappears is HDA Nvidia Digital Stereo (HDMI2), port HDMI/DisplayPort 2 (plugged in).
I have two ports plugged in but only one physical connection to my speakers.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

ckosloff wrote:
Please post how to disable timidity,...
I wrote how to disable Timidity in the linked post above. Have a look at that thread as several users said it helped because Timidity claimed the sound card before pulse started.

systemctl stop timidity.service
systemctl disable timidity.service
Did you get any useful errors from journalctl?
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

ckosloff

#12 Post by ckosloff »

sunrat wrote:
ckosloff wrote:
Please post how to disable timidity,...
I wrote how to disable Timidity in the linked post above. Have a look at that thread as several users said it helped because Timidity claimed the sound card before pulse started.

systemctl stop timidity.service
systemctl disable timidity.service
Did you get any useful errors from journalctl?
Actually I logged into the IR C channel for #debian-next and the folks there were very helpful and enlightening.
In fact they got many errors like this one and the quick fix is to disable timidity-daemon

systemctl disable timidity-daemon --now 
, this comes from the Debian wiki, you can also purge the package and it will yield the same result.
If you don't use --now, you will have to reboot system, unnistalling produces immediate result of sound back and pavucontrol seeing the card again.
I know how I got this timidity thing because I recently installed kde-full and it brought it in.
I also purged kde-full and not missing it at all.
It has lots of crap like accessibility, minuet, kdeedu for music education and that is how they got the brilliant idea of bringing in timidity, as if we didn't have enough players without it.
The timidity daemon is the source of these sound troubles, not content with disabling it I purgef the whole timidity thing and it broght down kde -full and all the other crap, good riddance as my system is now cleaner and faster.
Problem solved.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need to submit bug for pulseaudio [SOLVED]

#13 Post by sunrat »

Congratulations!
I wouldn't ever install kde-full. kde-plasma-desktop includes enough to get started and then just add what is needed.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

ckosloff wrote:Actually I logged into the IR C channel for #debian-next and the folks there were very helpful and enlightening.
i can read a lot between the lines in this sentence.
it's a typical vampire tactic: in reaction to being criticised (usually prompted to put in more effort), claim that other online communities are more helpful.

well at least you shared your solution, so thanks for that.
If you don't use --now, you will have to reboot system
not exactly.
you can also use both

systemctl stop timidity-daemon
systemctl disable timidity-daemon

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

debiman wrote:
ckosloff wrote:Actually I logged into the IR C channel for #debian-next and the folks there were very helpful and enlightening.
it's a typical vampire tactic: in reaction to being criticised (usually prompted to put in more effort), claim that other online communities are more helpful.
I can see your point. I posted several replies with suggestions and it seems OP didn't try any of them. Even if they didn't help, letting me know would be better than just being blown off with " I went elsewhere".
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

ckosloff

#16 Post by ckosloff »

sunrat wrote:
debiman wrote:
My friend you are imagining intentions, it is just that with IRC there is more interaction, several users in same thread in real time, easier to understand meanings, I know that you put in your best effort in this format, thanks for that, you mentioned timidity but I didn't grasp that the daemon controlled the sound card before pulseaudio, a glitch in KDE desktop caused by loading kde-full, and got afraid of uninstalling the package because it would drag a lot of stuff with it.
Peace.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

Apology accepted. It's unbelievable how often help is offered here and then the asker ignores suggestions and does something completely different. Regular contributors get a bit antsy about that.
In this case I pointed you to another thread on exactly the same problem which had several possible solutions. It seems like you didn't try my suggestion to stop/disable timidity with systemctl which may have worked and I would have liked to have known that. I don't currently have timidity so didn't experience the bug, but I do a lot of advanced audio work so thought I may be able to help.
This was already a known bug and there is a current bug report - ( https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=901931 ) which offers a totally different reason for this behaviour and a solution - remove the "timidity" user from the "audio" group. That way you should have your Pulse and Timidity working happily together. Timidity is useful if you ever play MIDI files, and is also used in some games and applications.
Peace to you too, brother! 8)
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

it's ok.
maybe you really meant that IRC chatting is a better way of communicating for you.