Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Angristan OpenVPN doesn't work on Debian 9

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
aliweb

Angristan OpenVPN doesn't work on Debian 9

#1 Post by aliweb »

Hi,

I installed Angristan OpenVPN https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install on Debain 9 and here's what happened.

1. The client connects successfully. IP is assigned and the icon turns green.
2. But the internet doesn't work except for a couple of websites. Bing opens but Google, Reddit, Yahoo etc. doesn't. I think Wikipedia also works. So there are only a handful of websites that open on VPN.

The issue is only happening on Debian 9 because I used it on Debian 7 and 8 and in both cases, VPN worked perfectly.

What is causing this issue and is there any way to resolve it?

Thanks

arzgi

Re: Angristan OpenVPN doesn't work on Debian 9

#2 Post by arzgi »

aliweb wrote:Hi,

I installed Angristan OpenVPN https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install on Debain 9 and here's what happened.

1. The client connects successfully. IP is assigned and the icon turns green.
2. But the internet doesn't work except for a couple of websites. Bing opens but Google, Reddit, Yahoo etc. doesn't. I think Wikipedia also works. So there are only a handful of websites that open on VPN.

The issue is only happening on Debian 9 because I used it on Debian 7 and 8 and in both cases, VPN worked perfectly.

What is causing this issue and is there any way to resolve it?

Thanks

There is openvpn in debian statble repo, why not use it?

aliweb

#3 Post by aliweb »

Thanks, as I didn't know about this. Are you talking about this?
https://packages.debian.org/stable/net/openvpn

Is this easy to install like Angristan?

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

aliweb wrote:Thanks, as I didn't know about this. Are you talking about this?
https://packages.debian.org/stable/net/openvpn

Is this easy to install like Angristan?
I would say it is even easier, as root:

Code: Select all

apt install openvpn
Then threre are also these:
  • p gadmin-openvpn-client - GTK+ configuration tool for openvpn (client)
    p gadmin-openvpn-server - GTK+ configuration tool for openvpn (server)
    p gadmin-openvpn-server-dbg - GTK+ configuration tool for openvpn (debug)
    p network-manager-openvpn - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin
    p network-manager-openvpn-gnome - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin
If you use gnome or xfce. Or network-manager, which I personally do not recommend.

About usage, can't say because I've not used either. But in the otherhand, it is more likely you get support here and documentation is better if you use Debian version.

aliweb

#5 Post by aliweb »

Thanks, I will install and then see what happens.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

aliweb wrote:Thanks, I will install and then see what happens.

Perhaps all are not needed. If you like gui-versions, then gadmin-openvpn-client to client, and gadmin-openvpn-server to server.

alexandra_m

#7 Post by alexandra_m »

Hello,
arzgi wrote:There is openvpn in debian statble repo, why not use it?
arzgi wrote:I would say it is even easier
Because setting up, properly configuring (cypher suites, tls version,...) and maintaining (managing users among other things) an OpenVPN server is a pain in the ass :x

Had you taken thirty seconds to follow the URL that aliweb provided you would have noticed that the "Angristan VPN" s/he talks about is just a bash script dedicated to help with OpenVPN :wink:
aliweb wrote:1. The client connects successfully. IP is assigned and the icon turns green.
1. this forum is not the right place to ask for support with the script, you should open an issue here https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install/issues

2. it's likely an IPv4/6 issue, the easy workaround is to force your system to use exclusively IPv4 (depending on the OpenVPN version used on the server and IP address' associated with your server, you might not be able to have your OpenVPN sevrer working with both v4 and 6)

On your client, most likely, your computer (not on the server):
sudo echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf
If my workaround doesn't work, you should ask for help via the link provided on #1.

Alex

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

alexandra_m wrote:Hello,
arzgi wrote:There is openvpn in debian statble repo, why not use it?
arzgi wrote:I would say it is even easier
Because setting up, properly configuring (cypher suites, tls version,...) and maintaining (managing users among other things) an OpenVPN server is a pain in the ass :x

Alex
Missquoting is not very polite. We were talking about installation, not configuration or usage.

And I also mentioned gtk-versions, have you tried those?