Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"cannot open access to console the root account is locked.."

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cyberoptiq

"cannot open access to console the root account is locked.."

#1 Post by cyberoptiq »

I know this topic has been covered in the past but I still cannot access my laptop upon boot-up. I messed around with fstab while trying to get the system to mount a 1TB Western Digital HD I found and now the above error message is what I get whenever the laptop boots up. It tells me to hit "ENTER" to continue which I do but it just keeps repeating those instructions and then hangs. I need to get to the command line so I can reverse the changes I made in fstab. I'm not new to Linux but I'm no pro either. Would greatly appreciate some assistance. Thanks!!

ticojohn

Re: "cannot open access to console the root account is locke

#2 Post by ticojohn »

cyberoptiq wrote:I know this topic has been covered in the past but I still cannot access my laptop upon boot-up. I messed around with fstab while trying to get the system to mount a 1TB Western Digital HD I found and now the above error message is what I get whenever the laptop boots up. It tells me to hit "ENTER" to continue which I do but it just keeps repeating those instructions and then hangs. I need to get to the command line so I can reverse the changes I made in fstab. I'm not new to Linux but I'm no pro either. Would greatly appreciate some assistance. Thanks!!
I am also not an expert but if all you need to do is edit fstab, then a live CD would probably be helpful.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

cyberoptiq

#3 Post by cyberoptiq »

ticojohn wrote:I am also not an expert but if all you need to do is edit fstab, then a live CD would probably be helpful.
Thanks, Ticojohn...gonna wait for a few more suggestions for reference....I know I can't be the only one to encounter this.....

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

+1 for live-cd
I always have quite recent live-cd burned, never know when needed.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

cyberoptiq >>I'm not new to Linux but I'm no pro either,
Really ?
Are you using Debian, or some other Linux distro ? If it is Debian, what version ?

Use a live CD as suggested, is one way, another way is to add this line :

Code: Select all

init=/bin/bash  
in your grub menu, as a boot parameter, it goes right before the part where it says the uuid, etc...I am assuming , since you say,
"I'm not new to Linux", you know how to edit the grub boot menu, if not, there is plenty of info on that , if you do some searches.
I used the key words :

On debian cannot open access to console the root account is locked.. 
copied/pasted into a search engine, and see there are many results, one good one :
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3926

Adding init=/bin/bash as a kernel parameter , works fine for me on Debian 7 wheezy, it boots me into the shell , as root, no password, nor login needed.
I do not know if it would work on other linux distros, or the newer Debian releases, but you neglect to bother to tell us those details,...generally this does work on most of the linux distros.
It would also help, if you clearly tell us what you have tried, so helpers don't suggest things that you all ready tried, I mean exactly, use code boxes and show what code/command , etc,...

cyberoptiq

#6 Post by cyberoptiq »

Really ? = Really!! Although I have a few years in IT most of what I know has been either OJT or through the kindness of others who have had the patience to show me or explain how certain things work....

Are you using Debian, or some other Linux distro ? If it is Debian, what version ? - If it weren't Debian I wouldn't ask here. I'm using Debian Stretch 9.5 fully updated as I run package manager daily to stay up to date.....

It would also help, if you clearly tell us what you have tried, so helpers don't suggest things that you all ready tried, I mean exactly, use code boxes and show what code/command , etc... - haven't been able to try anything since I can't get to the command line...I don't mind getting repeat answers as sometimes others may have a little more info than the other guy and it helps...what I was doing to cause my dilemma was that I wanted to mount a hard drive that someone threw out so I could erase it and use it as an external on my Debian 9.5 Stretch Linux laptop made some changes as suggested in a post by someone on another site and that's when all hell broke loose and I got the above mentioned error....I was following the steps in the following URL: https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -in-linux/

@Garry Ricketson

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

cyberoptiq wrote: others who have had the patience to show me or explain how certain things work....
So, try a live CD to edit fstab. Hopefully you have a backup of that file to refer to. If fstab is the only problem you should be able to get things working as before.

And a helpful hint: if you get too testy with people that are trying to help, even when they come off as sounding mean, you'll have trouble getting help when you need it. Putting things in capital red letters will surely draw the ire of some people here. Best help I ever got here was from a guy that always seemed to be on my case, but in the end it helped me to learn.

Additionally: It is usually a good thing, and a courtesy, to identify what OS you are running (eg Stretch) and after identifying the problem to describe what things you may have tried to do in order to fix that problem. This will be of value to anyone trying to help.

cyberoptiq

#8 Post by cyberoptiq »

So, try a live CD to edit fstab. Hopefully you have a backup of that file to refer to. If fstab is the only problem you should be able to get things working as before. - Will try that in a little while.

And a helpful hint: if you get too testy with people that are trying to help, even when they come off as sounding mean, you'll have trouble getting help when you need it. Putting things in capital red letters will surely draw the ire of some people here. - the reason I did that is so that their question and my response are clearly visible. If the person responding cannot do so without belittling others for their pleasure then they have no need to be offering assistance in the first place. Coming to forums is usually my last resort because many times I have come across this and have seen others also be talked down and it's totally unnecessary!! If they can dish it out then they should be able to take it as well. I've been in IT for 27 years and as I stated most of what I know has been through the courtesy of others who offered their knowledge without being an a$$. In my time in IT no one can ever say I talked down to them or refused to answer their questions no matter how stupid or obvious the answer may have been. It's because of those that have that chip on their shoulder why we get a bad rap outside of IT. There is a discussion about this on Spiceworks.

Additionally: It is usually a good thing, and a courtesy, to identify what OS you are running (eg Stretch) and after identifying the problem to describe what things you may have tried to do in order to fix that problem. This will be of value to anyone trying to help. - That was my intention and I forgot to include that information.

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

cyberoptiq wrote:And a helpful hint: if you get too testy with people that are trying to help, even when they come off as sounding mean, you'll have trouble getting help when you need it. Putting things in capital red letters will surely draw the ire of some people here. - the reason I did that is so that their question and my response are clearly visible.
Suit yourself.

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

@OP
Just for future reference I always keep a Live-Cd on a usb stick as it can be used to sort pretty much anything out on an installed system, you can even chroot into the system to run commands like apt install/remove/update etc.. I find it the single most important piece of equipment for fixing systems.

Obviously I agree with ticojohn's suggestion too. :)

cyberoptiq

#11 Post by cyberoptiq »

you can even chroot into the system to run commands like apt install/remove/update etc.. - would greatly appreciate if you can explain how I can do this...the laptop has several important files/docs I need access to....

ticojohn

#12 Post by ticojohn »

cyberoptiq wrote:you can even chroot into the system to run commands like apt install/remove/update etc.. - would greatly appreciate if you can explain how I can do this...the laptop has several important files/docs I need access to....
First step, in my opinion, is to get a live CD. Since your laptop is essentially non-functional I suppose you need to download on a different computer. There are many varieties of live Linux CD's. Once you have that live CD you should be able to boot up your laptop using that CD (it might require setting the BIOS to boot first from CD although that is a normal default mode). When you are booted to the live CD you should then be able to edit fstab on the computers HDD. Once edited and saved you can then shut down and remove the live CD. If your edits are correct, and if fstab is the only issue, then the laptop should boot.

cyberoptiq

#13 Post by cyberoptiq »

ticojohn wrote:First step, in my opinion, is to get a live CD. Since your laptop is essentially non-functional I suppose you need to download on a different computer. There are many varieties of live Linux CD's. Once you have that live CD you should be able to boot up your laptop using that CD (it might require setting the BIOS to boot first from CD although that is a normal default mode). When you are booted to the live CD you should then be able to edit fstab on the computers HDD. Once edited and saved you can then shut down and remove the live CD. If your edits are correct, and if fstab is the only issue, then the laptop should boot.
ticojohn - greatly appreciated....I'm guessing a copy of fstab is not made automatically by the system in case such things as this occur....correct??

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#14 Post by 4D696B65 »

cyberoptiq wrote:I'm guessing a copy of fstab is not made automatically by the system in case such things as this occur....correct??
Correct
For future, you don't need an entry in fstab to access the drive. Mount it later and do what you want to it. If you decide to keep the drive in the machine, then add a line to fstab (after reading man page :mrgreen: )

ticojohn

#15 Post by ticojohn »

4D696B65 wrote:
cyberoptiq wrote:I'm guessing a copy of fstab is not made automatically by the system in case such things as this occur....correct??
Correct
For future, you don't need an entry in fstab to access the drive. Mount it later and do what you want to it. If you decide to keep the drive in the machine, then add a line to fstab (after reading man page :mrgreen: )
Could the OP just remove the 1tb drive, assuming the OS is on a different drive, and then boot the machine. Probably generate some errors but would it boot? If so, then he could edit fstab and remove the entry. I've never tried it but would it work?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#16 Post by 4D696B65 »

ticojohn wrote: Could the OP just remove the 1tb drive, assuming the OS is on a different drive, and then boot the machine. Probably generate some errors but would it boot? If so, then he could edit fstab and remove the entry. I've never tried it but would it work?
It would depend what the op did to fstab. If / was modified or where ever /boot is then I doubt it.
If all op did was add the drive, I cant see why it wont boot.

cuckooflew

#17 Post by cuckooflew »

by cyberoptiq >> 2018-07-23 21:43
Dai_trying >>you can even chroot into the system to run commands like apt install/remove/update etc..
- would greatly appreciate if you can explain how I can do this...the laptop has several important files/docs I need access to....
There is lot's of details available :
how to chroot into a Debian 9 system

Also

man chroot
Since I am no IT expert or anything, I find it necessay to read manuals and do some searches, I hate asking on forums, so I try to avoid that.
P.S All those red letters make it really hard to read, looks like the OP is upset or angry, "don't get mad, get glad...." at least some people are trying to help.They could just ignore the question.
Last edited by cuckooflew on 2018-07-24 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

ticojohn

#18 Post by ticojohn »

4D696B65 wrote:
ticojohn wrote: Could the OP just remove the 1tb drive, assuming the OS is on a different drive, and then boot the machine. Probably generate some errors but would it boot? If so, then he could edit fstab and remove the entry. I've never tried it but would it work?
It would depend what the op did to fstab. If / was modified or where ever /boot is then I doubt it.
If all op did was add the drive, I cant see why it wont boot.
Well, I was hoping that all he did was modify fstab and made some egregious error that is preventing it from booting. If he could just remove the hard drive would the system throw an error about not finding the device and then go ahead and boot? Assuming he didn't make changes to the / then maybe it would work. Worst case is that it doesn't boot and we are back to getting a live CD so he can edit fstab (hopefully just remove the bad entry).

cyberoptiq

#19 Post by cyberoptiq »

ticojohn wrote:Could the OP just remove the 1tb drive, assuming the OS is on a different drive, and then boot the machine. Probably generate some errors but would it boot? If so, then he could edit fstab and remove the entry. I've never tried it but would it work?
I tried that already and it didn't work....the reason I was Googling how to mount the drive in Linux (spefically Debian) is because no matter how many times I plugged in the 1TB drive via USB it was not recognized by Debian....no icon showed up on the desktop nor was it noticed via FileManager....the link I provided above to the article I followed is what caused my headache....Greatly appreciate you guys assistance....

cyberoptiq

#20 Post by cyberoptiq »

cuckooflew wrote:Since I am no IT expert or anything, I find it necessay to read manuals and do some searches, I hate asking on forums, so I try to avoid that.
P.S All those red letters make it really hard to read, looks like the OP is upset or angry, "don't get mad, get glad...." at least some people are trying to help.They could just ignore the question.
As I explained earlier regarding this...I do this so that we're all on the same page...I use red because it stands out more making it easy to see my responses to any questions or statements made in previous posts...and I also stated that I also use forums as a last resort because of the one negative person we all seem to run into who thinks that just because they are more knowledgeable in certain subjects its their right to berate or talk down to those seeking assistance....because of those before me through the years I've learned to be patient, calm, and understanding....not everyone is a born whiz-bang....we all started somewhere.....