Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CAN'T UPGRADE DEBIAN 8.6--SYNAPTIC AND APPER ARE LOCKED

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mr.Lauren

Re: CAN'T UPGRADE DEBIAN 8.6--SYNAPTIC AND APPER ARE LOCKED

#21 Post by mr.Lauren »

A quick note in response to Thorny:
by Thorny » 2018-02-04 13:56
I hope the fact that you haven't posted again is due to you ending your day and not that you have somehow trashed your system.
No, I didn't get an email saying there were new posts, and I was so busy studying "GRUB" that I didn't stop by to check. That GRUB ability to save the last OS you log into, and then automatically log into it the next time is great. Then I was busy studying L. Mint in case I lost this battle with Debian. I don't like it so far. Anyway, I'll be back, but I've got a lot of study to do. A kernel reinstall sounds intimidating to me. I've got to go.
Lauren

Thorny

#22 Post by Thorny »

mr.Lauren wrote:Anyway, I'll be back, but I've got a lot of study to do. A kernel reinstall sounds intimidating to me. I've got to go.
Totally understand. Most people have busy lives, I'm at a bit of an advantage since I'm retired.

Studying things extensively and carefully is a sane approach and the most likely path to success.

I'll try to distil the advice a bit for when you have the time to work on this but review everything in the thread and make sure to understand it before proceeding.

When you are ready, read on. No hurry.

If you are confident the system is not locking up due to a heat problem. (For example, have you done CPU intensive tasks in Mint for quite a bit of time without the system locking up.) And, you might do a file system check on the unmounted Debian partition from Mint.

As long as you boot Debian to the previous kernel, linux-image-3.16.0-4, it should be relatively easy and safe, the proverbial "piece of cake". If I remember correctly, that is the kernel your Debian system was booting to, check it with, uname -r, in a terminal window.

Remembering to update first then upgrade as we have discussed previously, whether you use apt-get or apt.

Then you can purge the linux-image-3.16.0-5 kernel and then upgrade your system, which if you do an, apt-get dist-upgrade, will probably pull the newer kernel back in along with the other updates.
Or
Do the same purge and use, apt full-upgrade, if you want to use apt rather than apt-get

Those are two command line possibilities in a terminal window.

If you prefer Synaptic, do a "Complete Removal" of linux-image-3.16.0-5, remember to "Reload" (same function as update), followed by "Mark All Upgrades", followed by "Apply" .

It might take awhile as you will have a lot of packages to upgrade in order to get to 8.10.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it is not too confusing. There are others here watching who could help even if I am not here when you get back.

Not going to wish you good luck, luck is not as important as being careful. ;-)

mr.Lauren

#23 Post by mr.Lauren »

Hey!! Guess What?? :shock: It's working! :D But first I'd better make an apology for being so slow in getting back. One example cause was my wife cracked her wrist! I did a lot of dish washing! :( Then I was having a lot of problems booting. Finally I took the computer to the Geeks (Best Buy) and had them check out some things, including my second non-primary hard drive. They said it failed over half its checks (I think it was 7 of 11). So I unplugged that and it fixed the boot problem. Then a few days later when the system reminded me that I had 143 upgrades to do, I thought that I should see if that might have affected the upgrade problem. I logged in to a terminal, entered 'dpkg --configure -a', and it ran without a hitch!!! Then I opened Synaptic, and ran the upgrade for the 143 upgrades, and it ran with no problems! Wow! What a relief! Old hard drives really can cause problems. Well, I PRESUME that the hard drive removal was the answer.

By the way, Mr Thorny, you commented:
Totally understand. Most people have busy lives, I'm at a bit of an advantage since I'm retired.
Well, I must admit that I'm retired too, so I don't have much excuse. The trouble is, I seem to be busier than I was before! I think it's because I take on too many DIY's. It surely can't be because I'm 85 can it? ------ Can you beat that??

Well, anyway, thanks much to everyone who answered my plea and posted some possible answers to my locked upgrade problem!
Lauren

kevinthefixer

#24 Post by kevinthefixer »

mrLauren, in one of your previous posts you asked how to check your hard drive health, and got no answer, so you had to pay Geek Squad to do it for you. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Look up SmartControl. S.M.A.R.T. is built-in to nearly all modern HDDs and SSDs, and a periodic check of either/both is quite in order. There is a GUI called, easily enough, GSmartControl. The name is actually a bit of a misnomer because it tests and reports, doesn't really control. But you could have easily done what the Squad did, for free and without leaving home. Anyway glad you got it sorted.

mr.Lauren

#25 Post by mr.Lauren »

kevinthefixer wrote:mrLauren, in one of your previous posts you asked how to check your hard drive health, and got no answer, so you had to pay Geek Squad to do it for you. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. Look up SmartControl. S.M.A.R.T. is built-in to nearly all modern HDDs and SSDs, and a periodic check of either/both is quite in order. There is a GUI called, easily enough, GSmartControl. The name is actually a bit of a misnomer because it tests and reports, doesn't really control. But you could have easily done what the Squad did, for free and without leaving home. Anyway glad you got it sorted.
Thank You! That is fabulous! I found that it is listed in Aptitude, so I studied it a little, and it seemed that I wouldn't get in trouble if I tried it. So I installed it, and opened it, and it said my WD 500GB hard drive has zero errors. That's great to know!

I presume that my old HDDs are too old to have the software built in. But sometime when I have more time, I may connect them and find out. Thanks again for giving me the clue!