Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Yet another blank screen on suspend...

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
DeathMeddle1337

Yet another blank screen on suspend...

#1 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

...But please hear me out. Hello all, I'm Brandon. First time poster but long time Linux user, including providing paid support for an advanced open source network backup system... Originally from the University of Maryland. Unfortunately I have found something I cannot seem to get past after days of Googling combined with breaking, fixing and re-breaking my Debian install, including grub.

The issue I have presents as thus, when putting the system to sleep through any methods, the system comes back with a blank screen. I am on the latest version of Stretch running xfce on an HP 14-bw012nr, 32GB eMMC, with 8gb of RAM with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics. LVM is luks encrypted with an unencrypted boot partition. Unfortunately this unit is UEFI only with legacy support.

Steps I have taken this far include most anything you can find with Google. Original the problem responded with a backlit screen after coming back from suspend with no available input, no option but to shut down. Now I have located the information on KernelModesetting in the knowledge base, but when I attempt to open "/etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf" or "/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf" both are presented as new files. I can't adjust a file that has no options to adjust, and its only directions are to "Edit accordingly".

Further research showed it could be an issue with firmware, so I downloaded/installed linux-firmware-nonfree from Repo's and now I get a screen that goes black, no back light, when trying to come out of suspend.

I also followed directions to add "acpi_osi=" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet", and make a conf file, "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf". This broke my boot sequence to the point where it took 2 days to get back into my encrypted root partition and reverse it, but I was able to.

Any pointers in the correct direct, or at things I might be missing would be an immense help. Thank you all for everything, hopefully most of my posts with be giving help rather then tasking for it.
"Don't muddle in the affairs of Dragons, as they are subtle & quick to anger & you're crunchy & good with ketchup."

bw123

Re: Yet another blank screen on suspend...

#2 Post by bw123 »

Radeon R2 Graphics, never heard of it. How about getting the pci id added to the post (https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo), and confirming that the device has the correct firmware available. That can be done by looking at dmesg output.

Did you try the later kernel/firmware available in backports?
Steps I have taken this far include most anything you can find with Google.
Well if google said to use /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf for a radeon board then that would be weird. Some people on here like to see output from pkg inxi for problems like this, wouln't hurt to provide the extra info.

I don;t think you'll get anywhere trying to disable kernel modesetting, or messing with modprobe.d that's an older way that was (sometimes?) helpful back in the day, but most all drivers require kms now I believe?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

DeathMeddle1337

#3 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

BW123 Thank you for the response. From my reading, the correct firmware is radeonhd, contained with the fireware-amd-graphics package which is installed. The PSI ID seems to be Device 98e4 (rev d4)/Device [1002:98e4] (rev d4) depending on if you -nn your lspsi.

It looks as though I am not using the backported version as I did not have the backports repo in synaptic, I will try checking that as well.

dmesg indicats that I am using the amdgpu firmware which is expected, though I do see some errors. Looking at the package (firmware-amd-graphics) it seems as though the release I am using is from late 2016, and this notebook comes with Windows 10 by default. I will continue down this thread.

I thought the intel suggestion was odd as well, but my I had read they were having similar issues so I was willing to try it and I have no issues fixing my mistakes.

Again, thank you very much for your suggestion. I will go from here and let you know what I find.
"Don't muddle in the affairs of Dragons, as they are subtle & quick to anger & you're crunchy & good with ketchup."

DeathMeddle1337

#4 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

I have added the backports repo and installed the newest version of the firmware, but it has made no difference. I still get just a black screen. Unfortunately I have run up again my biggest issue with Linux as well, no simple examples of commands (my simple examples would be something such as "apt-get (flag) (action) (subject of action) or "apt-get -f install firmware-amd-graphics"), instead the current jumble that are man pages.

But long story short I could not find out how to use the pkg inxi command in plain simple English anywhere, or let alone how to install it as apt-get and synaptic do not seem to have it and apt-file can only find python related things. My reading also says it outputs to IRC and I do no have an IRC client on this machine. If someone has an example of the above I will gladly prove the information as needed.

Thanks for any assist!

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

DeathMeddle1337

#6 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

bw123 wrote:search.php?keywords=inxi
Okay, I get it, your own your own on that one. Note to self, Synaptics sucks, stick to apt-get. Another few hours of searching rendered the following from inxi.

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 98e4
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Also, reading other information this might be important, when pressing capslock after going into suspend, capslock does not engage. I should also note that when booting other distos (Live) suspend seems to work fine, blinking HDD light and all.
Last edited by DeathMeddle1337 on 2018-07-29 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

inxi is shite, can we please see

lspci -k | grep -iA2 vga
Thanks!
deadbang

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

I couldn't find much about the device but I only did a quick search for debian 1002:98e4 so maybe it's a newer computer? If it is newer than stretch, then the kernel AND firmware in backports would be my first try.

Don't get too frustrated, it's always necessary to figure out the quirks of individual machines and devices. If you document your steps and post the info here, it will help other people in the future. Posting the exact command you use and the exact output by copy&paste in code tags is the right way to provide the info.

If you follow HOaS request, your reply will look sort of like this:

$ lspci -k | grep -iA2 vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
        Subsystem: Dell Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
        Kernel driver in use: i915
Of course the hardware info will be different, but do post all of the command and the output in code tags.

my biggest issue with Linux as well, no simple examples of commands (my simple examples would be something such as "apt-get (flag) (action) (subject of action) or "apt-get -f install firmware-amd-graphics"), instead the current jumble that are man pages.
There are millions of examples of commands on the internet, also many man pages have example commands down near the bottom. Users can file bug reports requesting changes to documentation, or even providing the changes as a patch file.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

DeathMeddle1337

#9 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:inxi is shite, can we please see

lspci -k | grep -iA2 vga
Thanks!
Your wish is my command!

root@SHODAN:/home/brandon# lspci -k | grep -iA2 vga
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 98e4 (rev d4)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 8324
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
bw123 wrote:I couldn't find much about the device but I only did a quick search for debian 1002:98e4 so maybe it's a newer computer? If it is newer than stretch, then the kernel AND firmware in backports would be my first try.
I believe it is newer, part of the next generation of Win10 "Cloudbooks". I have the backports firmware, but have not updated the kernel yet, I will look into doing that.
bw123 wrote:Don't get too frustrated, it's always necessary to figure out the quirks of individual machines and devices. If you document your steps and post the info here, it will help other people in the future. Posting the exact command you use and the exact output by copy&paste in code tags is the right way to provide the info.
My first working linux distro saw me bashing my face through a Gentoo install, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Thankfully I have infinite patience when it comes to computers, they are only doing what you tell (or don't tell) them to do.

I appreciate the advice on documentation steps. When I was using Jira, it was all just simple cut and paste. I hope to leave a good record of my steps to help any others who might be in a similar situation.
bw123 wrote:There are millions of examples of commands on the internet, also many man pages have example commands down near the bottom. Users can file bug reports requesting changes to documentation, or even providing the changes as a patch file.
Undoubtedly this is partially due to ADHD. I was unaware you could request changes with Bug reports. Perhaps I can come up with a slightly different form for or way of displaying this info that is more efficient for an ADHD addled mind.

Thanks again for all the help!

DeathMeddle1337

#10 Post by DeathMeddle1337 »

Bingo! Firmware was the issue, thank you all very much for the pointers. This was helpful updating my kernel. http://jensd.be/818/linux/install-a-new ... tch-stable

I used

apt-get -t stretch-backports install firmware-amd-graphics
for the newest graphics firmware.

Thanks again!