Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 8 - kernel update seems to have broken ZFS

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
andrewc8

Debian 8 - kernel update seems to have broken ZFS

#1 Post by andrewc8 »

I just updated our Debian 8 machine with latest package updates ( including a kernel update) and ZFS file systems seem to have gone MIA.

What should my approach be to recover from this?

stevepusser

Re: Debian 8 - kernel update seems to have broken ZFS

#2 Post by stevepusser »

If you're using zfs-dkms, try

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms
as sysadmin to force a rebuild of the driver. Watch the output for any fatal errors or success message.
MX Linux packager and developer

andrewc8

#3 Post by andrewc8 »

This was actually a very interesting problem
- the ZFS filesystem was mounted on /home
- during the package update process it seems the ZFS file system was unmounted ( thus un-mounting everything under /home)
- I logged in via SSH during the package update process - apparently right at the 'wrong time'.
- this created an empty /home/<myusername>
- on reboot ZFS would not mount as /home was not empty

Simply removing the directory under /home allowed ZFS filesystem to mount.

andrewc8

#4 Post by andrewc8 »

My last post was actually wrong. It appears the kernel update did blow away ZFS. I had reverted to the previous kernel during the boot sequence before making my analysis of what happened.

with the latest kernel...

dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms
failed with an error

/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.6.5.7/build/module/zfs/zpl_inode.c: In function ‘zpl_setattr’:
/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.6.5.7/build/module/zfs/zpl_inode.c:323:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘inode_change_ok’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

andrewc8

#5 Post by andrewc8 »

Looks like this issue was fixed but how do I get the latest ?
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/5454

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The version in jessie-backports-sloppy should include the fix. Be aware that this will not upgrade smoothly to the older ZFS in Stretch if that matters to you, though stretch-backports has a yet newer version.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

andrewc8

#7 Post by andrewc8 »

Thanks for the help!

I hope the package maintainers fix this issue.
The machine in question is a "as-shipped from DELL" 56-core/1TB RAM server class machine. I am fairly ignorant on how compatibility is maintained with updates but running a standard package update should not break the machine.

I worked around the issue by changing GRUB options so that it will always boot into the previous kernel.

reinob

#8 Post by reinob »

andrewc8 wrote:I am fairly ignorant on how compatibility is maintained with updates but running a standard package update should not break the machine.
How did you install ZFS? the zfs-dkms package is not available for jessie. So AFAIK no "standard package update" as claimed.
From your message above you have version 0.6.5.7, which does not seem to be available for debian (at least since 2016 or so..)

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

How did you install ZFS? the zfs-dkms package is not available for jessie.
Good question, and point.
---snip---machine. I am fairly ignorant on how compatibility is maintained with updates but running a standard package update should not break the machine.
If it is a "standard package", and I mean a package from the Debian Repositories and the correct repo for the version of Debian you are using,then
no , it should not break your system.
Maybe read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't suffer from Shiny New Stuff Syndrome

The reason that Debian Stable is so reliable is because software is extensively tested and bug-fixed before being included. This means that the most recent version of software is often not available in the Stable repositories. But it doesn't mean that the software is too old to be useful!

Before attempting to install the newest version of some software from somewhere other than the Debian Stable repositories, here are some things to keep in mind: ---snip---

One needs to read all of it.
As for this :
I am fairly ignorant on how compatibility is maintained with updates
Then do some searches, become familiar with it.
how compatibility is maintained with updates for Debian packages
This is something you should have done, before trying to update anything.
first hit, of many : https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... 02.en.html

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

6.5.9 is in jessie-backports. Perhaps 6.5.7 was in backports earlier, but I'm too lazy to search through its history at snapshot.debian.org.

Garry, the OP says it was a normal security upgrade to the standard Jessie 3.16 kernel that caused the breakage.