Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need step by step explanation how to set up encrypted partit

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
SystemUser

Need step by step explanation how to set up encrypted partit

#1 Post by SystemUser »

Hi!

I am trying to setup my own version of "Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM" ref:

By my own version I mean I want it to function like selected option except that I want to create one more extra unencrypted partion.

However I have one problem. If I setup encryption for partition, it no longer allows me to mount it. So I end up with this error:

This is how my partition table looks like (right now on this screenshot it's like default option (with no my custom partition yet)):

My problem is that when I go to encrypted partition I see: use as physical volume for encryption. And I have no option to mount it. if I change it to ext4 journaling file system then I am able to set the mount point but it is no longer encrypted then.

Can anyone tell me what I do wrong and how to do it right?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need step by step explanation how to set up encrypted pa

#2 Post by p.H »

SystemUser wrote: I want to create one more extra unencrypted partion
(...) If I setup encryption for partition
Do you want to create an UNencrypted or encrypted partition ?
I cannot download the full size pictures and the small ones are too small to read.
I'll assume the first sentence was a typo and you want an encrypted partition.
You cannot mount an "encrypted" partition.
After you created the partition and selected the use for encryption, go back to the main partitioning screen and select "Configure encrypted volumes". Then select the partition as the physical volume. This will create an encrypted volume with the name of the partition suffixed by "_crypt". Go back to the main screen again, select the encrypted volume, select the filesystem type and mount point.

EDIT : I can see the full size pictures now. They show no encrypted partition at all, only a partition used as a physical volume for LVM and an LVM logical volume used as a physical volume for encryption (currently unused).
Last edited by p.H on 2018-08-04 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

Explain your process on how you got there?

Here is a guide that I find useful:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... KS#p643143
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

SystemUser

#4 Post by SystemUser »

Finally found something I wanted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxcpmzFk6kk

I followed that except that I only made separate root and swap partitions and additional unencrypted ext4 partition that I mounted /test. However after setup, gparted shows root and swap as one partition.

Ardouos

#5 Post by Ardouos »

SystemUser wrote:Finally found something I wanted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxcpmzFk6kk

I followed that except that I only made separate root and swap partitions and additional unencrypted ext4 partition that I mounted /test. However after setup, gparted shows root and swap as one partition.
If you set root and swap in the same volume group then gparted will see them as one partition.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

Nope. If you set root and swap in a volume group, i.e. as logical volumes, Gparted won't see them at all because they are not partitions and Gparted's understanding of LVM is limited to partitions used as physical volumes, so it can resize them. It can see neither volume groups nor logical volumes. Besides, logical volumes belonging to the same volume group, or even segments of the same logical volume can be in different physical volumes.

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

p.H wrote:Nope. If you set root and swap in a volume group, i.e. as logical volumes, Gparted won't see them at all because they are not partitions and Gparted's understanding of LVM is limited to partitions used as physical volumes
Not sure if that was directed at me, but thats pretty much what I had said? Maybe I was not clear enough. :?

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

Ardouos wrote:Not sure if that was directed at me
It was.
Ardouos wrote:but thats pretty much what I had said?
No. You wrote that Gparted can see logical volumes. But it can't. Gparted can see only partitions.
It is like saying that Gparted can see a file in a partition.

Ardouos

#9 Post by Ardouos »

p.H wrote: No. You wrote that Gparted can see logical volumes. But it can't. Gparted can see only partitions.
It is like saying that Gparted can see a file in a partition.
I see the way I have laid the sentence out was confusing. That was not the message I way trying to convey.

What I was meant to say was:
Root and swap are both logical partitions (in a volume group) in one entire LVM partition. Therefore because Gparted cannot see LVM/mount by default, gparted just sees one physical volume.

I am sorry, I do not mean to cause a misunderstanding. You have already made the clarification.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀