Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie Friendly Distro

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GMouse

#21 Post by GMouse »

Be sure they understand that they're getting an "alternative" to Windows, not some cut-rate "replacement". We don't want them expecting it to be working like Windows. They shouldn't expect you to provide them with an OS (Windows or otherwise) but rather to facilitate their selection and installation of one. That is, you install it, but they feel that they own it, rather than you providing it. That Linux is free is nice, but non-essential.
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/

thamarok

#22 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:pirated copy of windows then....
Just made a search for "Windows XP torrent" and found nearly 2,000,000 hits!

llivv

#23 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

ghostdawg

#24 Post by ghostdawg »

I used to install my copy of Windows on others computer but I stopped, that's illegal, :roll:

I would rather install Linux, to help promote it, since they have the choice either buy windows or use an alternative. They won't own me, and I will charge a fee for my services if it comes to it. :lol:

I will and did explain that linux is not windows and don't expect it to work like windows.

About the kids statement, if you read all my posts, maybe it will come to u on what I mean.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

jml

#25 Post by jml »

ghostdawg, I applaud your decision not to use a pirated copy of Windows. Besides being illegal, its really an inferior product. :mrgreen: I initially missed the part where you said that the computer will not have internet access. In that case I would defintely recomend Mint Linux. Its a single CD distro (at least the Gnome version is) and it includes all of the propriatary codecs on that disc. Out of the box it plays MP3's, encrypted DVD's, and t has all of the usual browser plugin's if they do get on line. The one trade-off is Linux Mint does not have many games included on the disk. Now if it were possible to do the actual install from a location that did have high speed internet access, then I would still recommend Debian Etch with propriatary codecs and apps installed as well. Once you set Debian up, it really is as user friendly as other distros.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

ghostdawg

#26 Post by ghostdawg »

Thanks for all the replies. I think for now I'm going to go with Mint. I just installed it on an extra partition and will be testing it out to see how exactly it works.

So far so good, everything seems to be working out the box, all codecs, flash, java & whatnots.

I noticed on Synaptic it show a message about upgrading to Ubuntu's fiesty fawn but after going to Mint's website, there is a sticky about not upgrading to fiesty, it will seriously break it. They say to wait for the new Mint release.

Just some thoughts!!!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

seshomaru

#27 Post by seshomaru »

I found PuppyLinux to be quite friendly
It takes about 4 minutes to install.
It is super fast , has most of the codecs (not sure if all of them), and if you add Open Office (comes with Abi) and Firefox (it comes with something else, I forgot) you are all set for most people.
It really depends on what they want to do . If they just want to Firefox/email/edit-some-pictures/msn then Puppy is ideal.
If they want to sync their ipods , connect to printers, share files with XP, listed to FLAC files ,use Asian languages, watch VCD's and things like that ,then you better set Etch for them.
I can't see why an Ubuntu/Mint will be easier (and I'm an Ubuntu user) if you set Etch with all the codecs, find printer drivers for them and install all needed applications .