Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Getting Steam on Buster

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Escain

[SOLVED] Getting Steam on Buster

#1 Post by Escain »

Hello,

I am having big issues installing Steam on SID, due to the requirement of "libgl1-mesa-dri:i386". I would like to know if there is a solution before to spend a couple of days re-installing the OS.

Context
The initial need was quite simple:
- Steam for gaming (with official drivers)
- Latest Firefox for performance.

I had stretch for long time, but the very outdated Firefox started to cause problems.
The only way (I found) to update Firefox (with rust framework) is to grab SID for firefox only. This worked for several months
After an update yesterday, the computer stopped to start (lightdm failure) and after investigation, it looked like the kernel was updated to 4.9.110 (yap, strange) but no linux-headers were available for it. Thus, the nvidia-driver failed to install. In the situation of having to re-install, I tried several tricks and finally updated all the system to SID.
After updating to SID, I could re-install the nvidia driver and got the desktop back, but steam cannot start.

The problem
I have the NVidia official driver installed, and it supposedly installed 32bit library too.
Steam require two missing libraries: "libgl1-mesa-dri:i386" and "libgl1-mesa-glx:i386".
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 depends on another package:

Code: Select all

libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 : Depends: libllvm6.0:i386 (>= 1:6.0~svn298832-1~) but it is not going to be installed
and trying to install libllvm6.0:i386 is asking me to remove about 600 packages, some of them important to me (probably not a solution, so I did not tried)

Steam require libgl1-mesa-dri:i386, which require libllvm6.0:i386, which I cannot install.

Is there any workaround this?

root@xxxxx:~# uname -a
Linux XXXXX 4.17.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.17.8-1 (2018-07-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@xxxxx:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)
Last edited by Escain on 2018-08-09 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Getting Steam on Buster

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

# apt install flatpak
# flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
# flatpak install com.valvesoftware.Steam
flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Escain wrote:I had stretch for long time, but the very outdated Firefox started to cause problems.
Then why not just download the Quantum tarball from Mozilla then upack it and run it from $HOME?

You get the latest version of FF (which updates itself) and a base system that doesn't crap itself at every opportunity.
deadbang

Escain

#4 Post by Escain »

Thanks you for your answer :-)
apt install flatpak
From what I am reading about Flatpak, it is some sort of sandbox, and trying me to install it is asking to remove the drivers I have. If that is the case, it is not a solution: I tried several open-source drivers, but beside the performance, none has a working vulkan implementation at the moment. I had to go to the beta version 396 of Nvidia for this.
Then why not just download the Quantum tarball from Mozilla then upack it and run it from $HOME?
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -9-stretch

Just that! but I will definitively look at this other option if I have to come back to Stretch.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Escain wrote:trying me to install it is asking to remove the drivers I have
Please post the output of

apt install -s flatpak
^ The advice in that thread is complete crap, pinning the stable release will still b0rk it if FF is installed from sid because that package relies on a newer version of libc6 than is available in stretch.

Here is my Debian stretch system running FF Quantum from the Mozilla tarball:

deadbang

Escain

#6 Post by Escain »

Is not that I don't appreciate this wonderful tool to it value, but:

- Is there a solution to the problem itself: How to install those libraries?

- Or should I create a bug-report for the package manager trying to remove 600packages for installing the one I need?

- It could also be that someone figured how to analyse the problem further?

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Escain wrote:How to install those libraries?
Have you tried aptitude(8)?

The dependency resolution tools are pretty good and it may be able to find an answer.

For the record though you have posted what is known as an XY-problem: you are asking how to install stuff in sid when the correct solution to your original problem was to run FF from a local tarball ;)
deadbang

Escain

#8 Post by Escain »

you are asking how to install stuff in sid when the correct solution to your original problem was to run FF from a local tarball
Installing FF was a problem like in January. Now I am with SID and trying to make steam to work.
Have you tried aptitude(8)?
Impressive, I had no idea of such a difference between apt/aptitude. I will need to dig into this.

Thanks you