Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch keeps logging me out

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tagal4

Stretch keeps logging me out

#1 Post by tagal4 »

I finally managed to get my computer upgraded to Stretch and now it wants to log me out after only a few minutes of not using the computer. Is the solution to this problem just to go into the power manger and set everything to "never", or is this some sort of bug with Stretch? I had a similar problem with Jessie but can't remember exactly how I fixed it: I think I changed something in the screensaver settings but I can't seem to find this setting with the new OS.

tagal4

Re: Stretch keeps logging me out

#2 Post by tagal4 »

I just checked and Stretch must not include a screensaver so that can't be the problem. I don't think setting everything in the power manager to "never" is the solution because while I was Googling this problem my session all of a sudden ended and I was left with the log in page. This time when I logged in it was like I was starting my computer all over because it took a while for everything I had on the screen to come back as it does when first starting the computer. Do i even need a "power manger" at all? Would it be best just to uninstall it (if possible)?

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I finally managed to get my computer upgraded to Stretch and now it wants to log me out after only a few minutes...

Do What? people on here might need a better description of the problem. What do you mean about finally managed to get it upgraded? What do you mean by "it" wants you to log out?

Try and understand that debian isn't only one Desktop Environment, it's a distribution with many options. If you have a specific configuration of hardware and software, including that info in the problem description will save a lot of time and get better support.

found another post of yours but you did not answer the questions
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 26#p679114

botched upgrade from jessie?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

tagal4 wrote:.. Do i even need a "power manger" at all? Would it be best just to uninstall it (if possible)?
Sure, not required.

Code: Select all

xset s 0 0
xset dpms 0 0 0

tagal4

#5 Post by tagal4 »

I had tried to upgrade from Jessie to Stretch following the instructions in the Debian online manual once before but for some reason it didn't work. I tried it again last night and the upgrade was successful except for this problem. I'll be working on the computer and all of a sudden the screen goes blank and then it takes me back to the login page of the desktop. Debian 8 worked fine so this frustrates me having to upgrade something that already works just to be able to use this operating system.

tagal4

#6 Post by tagal4 »

According to this very old post on the Ubuntu forum it could be the graphics system crashing: https://askubuntu.com/questions/144792/ ... ing-me-out . I think I'll do this and uninstall my power manager and see if that fixes it.

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

This is a clear example of why you should do clean installs instead of dist-upgrades. There are so many possible combinations of software and hardware that there are bound to be unfound bugs in any upgrade method. Back up your data, wipe the system, upgrade the hardware if that's on the table, and install from scratch. This avoids many pitfalls like the one you just found.

tagal4

#8 Post by tagal4 »

Thanks. That;s what I've been thinking, too. This is my first attempt at doing an upgrade via the terminal - in the past I've just done clean installs. I thought I'd try it this way and see if I could make it work, but I guess I learned my lesson.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

tagal4 wrote:I don't think setting everything in the power manager to "never" is the solution
have you even tried that?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by CwF »

...Or you could just commit to learning the system. A Re-install may be simple, maybe practical, but it is also an admission that you simply don't know. If the system boots to a prompt you are 99% done. That last 1% can be knowledge, or waiting for the reinstall. The confusion of a barfed upgrade depends on how many held, obsolete, and foreign packages are installed prior to the upgrade. How many installed packages have download sizes of 0B or 1B? How many orphans? Clear it up before the upgrade.

There was (is) an issue somewhere between 8.8 and 9.3 that hit me and is as described. It will log off a GUI DE, or in VT will post to the command line "Dazed and confused, but trying to continue". I never traced it out. As I remember, setting "Never" in fact didn't work and I started using xset.

Without the full additions of power-manager and screensavers you can use xset as stated.

tagal4

#11 Post by tagal4 »

I changed to the MATE desktop and deleted most of the XFCE programs, including the desktop. This solved the problem of being constantly logged out every few minutes. Will removing orphaned packages get rid of the rest of the XFCE programs I don't need now that I'm using MATE? I'm thinking the problem must have been something in XFCE.

The only issues I'm having now are that when I get my computer going again after hibernating it is I lose Firefox and Thunderbird so I have to restart these programs. Also, when I restart Firefox I lose all my tabs that I had before I went to hibernate. I never had this problem with Jessie. I changed my settings in Firefox to try to fix this, but if this doesn't work I'm going to try reinstalling it directly from Mozilla like I did when I had Jessie as an operating system since Jessie used Iceweasle as it's default web browser (and I wanted to use Firefox instead).

It's nice using MATE although it's taking some getting used to. On my first computer I had Ubuntu installed when Ubuntu used the old Gnome desktop so this brings back memories.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by None1975 »

tagal4 wrote:I'm going to try reinstalling it directly from Mozilla like I did when I had Jessie as an operating system since Jessie used Iceweasle as it's default web browser (and I wanted to use Firefox instead).
It is not a good idea. First try running Firefox Quantum in user space (in your home directory), without installing it.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

tagal4

#13 Post by tagal4 »

Turns out I didn't need to reinstall Firefox because just changing the settings did the trick. I also got rid of my orphaned packages with dtkorphan. Everything seems to be back to normal, finally.