Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux gamers, meet Valve's new Steam Play

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Wheelerof4te

Linux gamers, meet Valve's new Steam Play

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Valve's official announcement:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410 ... 5739350561

Discussion at GamingOnLinux forum:
Click

So, I believe we've come at the crossroads for Linux gaming. As almost everyone who followed recent trends and tech advancements related to gaming on Linux; graphics drivers, Vulkan, rapid pace of Wine development, etc. predicted, Valve was behind it all. And now, with the help of one DXVK developer (this guy) who just wanted to play his favorite game on Linux, the whole community can play Windows titles on their Linux client.
I won't be repeating what's already been said. Search around, read the discussion, see the threads at Reddit and see for yourselves.

Linux has just become a much more viable alternative to Windows, for many. Can't wait for Buster to be released for some rock-hard gaming stability :D

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Linux gamers, meet Valve's new Steam Play

#2 Post by None1975 »

I think games are not needed by anyone. Meaningless waste of time.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

kopper

#3 Post by kopper »

Just this morning, I ordered hardware to build GPU passthrough capable rig. Gaming was my secondary goal, but I was glad that I could finally get my hands on some Windows -only releases I've been meaning to try out. Many of those are AAA titles, but it has also bugged me that many of the older games I've tried haven't been working out as well as I would have liked on Wine.

Steam's offers such a great selection of games and would be great to see some previously Win-only titles to become available to everyone. I'm feeling optimistic about the facelift this gives to Linux as gaming platform.

Just enabled the Steam Play for all games and randomly installed something from my library. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines seems to just work™.

EDIT: And Hearts of Iron III doesn't. :D Oh well, first day after announcement etc. etc.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

milomak

#4 Post by milomak »

it can only be a good thing

beta joined
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

kopper wrote:Just this morning, I ordered hardware to build GPU passthrough capable rig. Gaming was my secondary goal, but I was glad that I could finally get my hands on some Windows -only releases I've been meaning to try out. Many of those are AAA titles, but it has also bugged me that many of the older games I've tried haven't been working out as well as I would have liked on Wine.

Steam's offers such a great selection of games and would be great to see some previously Win-only titles to become available to everyone. I'm feeling optimistic about the facelift this gives to Linux as gaming platform.

Just enabled the Steam Play for all games and randomly installed something from my library. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines seems to just work™.

EDIT: And Hearts of Iron III doesn't. :D Oh well, first day after announcement etc. etc.
The funny thing, is best way to enjoy Steam is using Windows wine version .. but yet you can install both sides world and use native linux whenever its possible.

Im only play Swat4 pc-game installed in my system for so long..I dont know if its available for steam, but its working to me with wine 1.4.. I play for five/six hours each week in multiplayers servers; its really funny trolling others players (teamkilling, teamtazing, teamnading, blocking doors, killing the vip.. :mrgreen: )
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

bester69 wrote:its really funny trolling others players (teamkilling, teamtazing, teamnading, blocking doors, killing the vip.. :mrgreen: )
It's funny if you are autistic 12 year old.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:best way to enjoy Steam is using Windows wine version
Nonsense.

CS:GO has the exact same frame rate under both Win10 and Arch Linux on my machine so clearly the best option is the native Linux client.

Arch might actually pull ahead once Vulkan support starts gaining ground :cool:
bester69 wrote:its really funny trolling others players (teamkilling, teamtazing, teamnading, blocking doors, killing the vip.. :mrgreen: )
deadbang

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:best way to enjoy Steam is using Windows wine version
Nonsense.

CS:GO has the exact same frame rate under both Win10 and Arch Linux on my machine so clearly the best option is the native Linux client.

Arch might actually pull ahead once Vulkan support starts gaining ground :cool:
Swat4 is more funny than CS, and a better game, you should give it a try :D , There're everyday one or two free servers with people there in 1.0 version:
https://swat4stats.com/servers/

Im the man who always is trolling the rest of players, Im using windscribe.. , but im starting to spend all available IP's :mrgreen: , nothing more funny than teamkill in the head with a Colt51 your mate, just when he's about to get free the VIP.. its a wtf! :mrgreen:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pawRoot

#9 Post by pawRoot »

And yet you didn't realise that something went wrong in your life ?

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Stay on topic, please.

Forbes article about Steam Play:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 331ed755ae
Here you can see whitelisted games and search for other compatible games:
https://spcr.netlify.com/

/tmp

#11 Post by /tmp »

At least Cuphead is on the list of Platinum games; I'm actually surprised it wasn't made as a Steam OS compatible game in the first place.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

IamJeffers

#12 Post by IamJeffers »

"At least Cuphead is on the list of Platinum games; I'm actually surprised it wasn't made as a Steam OS compatible game in the first place."
Yup, that for me is a masterpiece in itself.