Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

2 installs but different

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jwzumwalt

2 installs but different

#1 Post by jwzumwalt »

I just did a completely fresh DVD install of Debian AMD64 9.5.o on my laptop and Desktop.
The installs ended up being quit different. The most frustrating thing is the laptop appears to be running normal but the Desktop install has severe quirks such as apt-get not recognizing packages that the laptop sees. For example the laptop sees Yakuake (KDE terminal) but the desktop does not.

I screwed up the Desktop and accidentally changed the LXDE right mouse desktop context menu so I deleted openbox window manager and tried to re-install. apt-get says "openbox is referenced by other packages but is not available". Any help would be appreciated.

Since the Desktop install is new I could reinstall but it takes about 6hrs and customizing to my preferences is another 6 or more more hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.

debiman

Re: 2 installs but different

#2 Post by debiman »

jwzumwalt wrote:I just did a completely fresh DVD install of Debian AMD64 9.5.o on my laptop and Desktop.
The installs ended up being quit different. The most frustrating thing is the laptop appears to be running normal but the Desktop install has severe quirks such as apt-get not recognizing packages that the laptop sees. For example the laptop sees Yakuake (KDE terminal) but the desktop does not.
let us concentrate on ONE machine - the problematic one.
constant comparison only causes more confusion.
I screwed up the Desktop and accidentally changed the LXDE right mouse desktop context menu so I deleted openbox window manager and tried to re-install. apt-get says "openbox is referenced by other packages but is not available". Any help would be appreciated.
yes, it sounds like something went wrong. it was esp. wrong to try to reinstall such an essential package, when all you had was a simple config problem (next time, you can reach the desktop preferences through the menu as well, and re-enable the proper context menu).
your error description is fragmentary and there isn't much to say.
actual commands & their full output, please, in code tags.
Since the Desktop install is new I could reinstall but it takes about 6hrs and customizing to my preferences is another 6 or more more hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.
6 hours? weird. slow internet?
otherwise something else is seriously broken here.

all in all, your fragmentary narrative is not at all the description of a technical problem.
it is impossible to say what's going on, let alone help you to help yourself.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2 installs but different

#3 Post by p.H »

Please post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list and any file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and the output of

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy