Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Use Win2000 for Old propiertary firmware!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Use Win2000 for Old propiertary firmware!

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I had installed a Virtualbox WinXP for running my printer properly (propietary firmware), but Ive realised that Windows 2000 is a much better idea.. Its available for only a 150Mb ISO download, It installs in very few minits (10-15minits) and It require less CPU , less disk and less memory (128Mb minimun, 256 recommended) than XP.. It opened also much quicker and works same great..

So, My advice is to use Windows2000 instead XP, if only for running old hardware devices as long as firmware is available in this plataform.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Use Win2000 for Old propiertary firmware!

#2 Post by None1975 »

bester69 wrote:So, My advice is to use Windows2000 instead XP, if only for running old hardware devices as long as firmware is available in this plataform.
My advice is to use Linux, if only for running old hardware devices as long as firmware is available in this plataform.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Nili

#3 Post by Nili »

Windows 3.1 is a lot more lighter, Use that isn't bad idea. Little ISO size, Very minimal memory usage.
If we go further down, back in the 80s it is also interesting :)

seriously now:
Get an Debian stretch NETINST copy, tweak it harder, it will boots with only 50MB RAM on cold boot.

You'll be even more pleased than any Windows version.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

pawRoot

#4 Post by pawRoot »

Is RAM really too expensive for you all ?

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

None1975 wrote:
bester69 wrote:So, My advice is to use Windows2000 instead XP, if only for running old hardware devices as long as firmware is available in this plataform.
My advice is to use Linux, if only for running old hardware devices as long as firmware is available in this plataform.
Sadly some devices doesnt work at all or just doesnt work properly without the propietary firmware. My MP160 Canon printer doesnt print same quality with linux drivers, furthermore can't scan in 1200pt neither, and the worst thing, it hangs once has printed, and i need to reboot it in order eject the printed sheet. I tried many things, but finally the best thing was using a virtualbox xp.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

bester69 wrote:Sadly some devices doesnt work at all or just doesnt work properly without the propietary firmware.
Yes, I understand. But before purchasing, I check that my device is supported by an available Linux driver. Also, you can check Debian GNU/Linux device driver check page.
pawRoot wrote:Is RAM really too expensive for you all ?
Work, buy, die. Is this your motto?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

dear op,
are you sure there's no possibiltity to run this printer (or whatever device) under linux natively?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by p.H »

bester69 wrote:I had installed a Virtualbox WinXP for running my printer properly (propietary firmware)
You mean "device driver", not "firmware".

Device drivers run on the host OS.
Firmwares run on the devices.

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

p.H wrote:
bester69 wrote:I had installed a Virtualbox WinXP for running my printer properly (propietary firmware)
You mean "device driver", not "firmware".

Device drivers run on the host OS.
Firmwares run on the devices.
Great point, I Had forgotten the difference..

pawRoot

#10 Post by pawRoot »

None1975 wrote:
pawRoot wrote:Is RAM really too expensive for you all ?
Work, buy, die. Is this your motto?
Not really, but RAM is super cheap so why would i lose time and effort trying to save few MB of RAM ?
Also this motto better suits communists and I am anti-communist.

jibberjabber

#11 Post by jibberjabber »

Help Lesson 102 :
Where can I get more ram , cheap or for free;
https://downloadmoreram.com/
:mrgreen:
written by HelpBot#8453
Alias jibberjabber
I am sorry, my english is not that good, and I sometimes have other problems,so my response might not be perfect.
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber ,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

I'd like to suggest KVM as the killer app. VB does work well but KVM is more 'native'.

I'd been looking forward to production level emulation since the discussion was RISC vs CISC. At that time, RAM was $50/MB. Every ingredient to computing has reached commodity pricing since then. Computers are CHEAP! I have never exceeded the price of my first build in 1992. My last build was 1/4 the price and built specifically for virtualization.

While there are usually alternatives to replace the last generation of functionality, they are NOT always better, and sometimes the next generation never comes.

For me XP was the pinnacle of desktop computing. I don't expect anything to ever eclipse it, But that is not to say it can't be, I'm saying for the average there is no need to. At the time XP was the target platform for everything. Now days there is no target platform for everything. Without such a push, no system can achieve what was because we are not trying to...

I maintained a NT4 machine for a long time with scanner software for which there is likely a current alternative, don't know, but nothing needed fixed and that was 20 years ago. I took some ISA embroidery stuff as far as I could, alternatives exist. But when I get into OBD equipment, there will never be a linux equivalent, ever. With the speed of progress in Linux the category will be long gone before a penguin saves the day.

Anyway, I'm surprised XP can't deal with anything W2K can. That's not my experience, as said I came upon the dividing line with the jump from NT4 and W2K. So I virtualize XP and it does everything.

So my killer app is KVM. That alone makes debian worth it. And everything else I need to do could be done on a modern phone, which I don't have...

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

jibberjabber wrote:Help Lesson 102 :
Where can I get more ram , cheap or for free;
https://downloadmoreram.com/
:mrgreen:
i went for the full 32GB.
so fast!
also sponsored by Rick Astley.