Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Access the GRUB 2 terminal over a serial port

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
amandalin

Access the GRUB 2 terminal over a serial port

#1 Post by amandalin »

Hi,

Does someone know if i wanna access the grub 2 terminal over a serial port without editing grub configuration, is it possible?
the version is Debian 8.9.

debiman

Re: Access the GRUB 2 terminal over a serial port

#2 Post by debiman »

amandalin wrote:Hi,

Does someone know if i wanna access the grub 2 terminal over a serial port without editing grub configuration, is it possible?
the version is Debian 8.9.
there isn't much information or initial troubleshooting in your post.
please improve it.

if all you want is a literal answer to your question, a simple web search seems sufficient.

amandalin

#3 Post by amandalin »

Hi Debiman,

Sorry for my ignorance, i checked the Remote Serial Console HOWTO.pdf(refer to attachment), and through the document I knew i can complete serial port setting by modifying configuration of grub, am I right?

But I'm wondering if I can output terminal over serial port without changing any configuration(by using default grub)?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

amandalin wrote:by using default grub
The kernel parameters can be changed from the default GRUB menu by pressing "e" with the menu entry highlighted.
deadbang

amandalin

#5 Post by amandalin »

Hi Head_on_a_Stick,

i knew the way as you mentioned pressing 'e', can i say it is a one-time use, a temparary usage? because in this way we don't modify any content of grub configuration.

So, if i don't modify anything, even GRUB menu while booting, can i output terminal over serial port?

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

amandalin wrote:refer to attachment
there's no attachment.
a web link would be better in any case.

amandalin

#7 Post by amandalin »

thanks for reminder, here's the reference: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/pdf/Remote-Se ... -HOWTO.pdf

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

i see.
well, it seems to be possible with editing.
look at the document; does it require you to edit grub configuration to be able to get access over serial port?
if yes, do you think it will work without doing that?
have you tried?

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

amandalin wrote:i knew the way as you mentioned pressing 'e', can i say it is a one-time use, a temparary usage?
Yes, it is a temporary change and will be lost the next time the image is booted.

EDIT: @debiman, I've used Debian images to install via the serial console (under OpenBSD's hypervisor), it only needs a few kernel parameters added.
deadbang

amandalin

#10 Post by amandalin »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
amandalin wrote:i knew the way as you mentioned pressing 'e', can i say it is a one-time use, a temparary usage?
Yes, it is a temporary change and will be lost the next time the image is booted.

EDIT: @debiman, I've used Debian images to install via the serial console (under OpenBSD's hypervisor), it only needs a few kernel parameters added.
Hi Head_on_a_Stick,

Actually, the question "access without editing grub" is asked from my customer. So, thanks for your feedback, but can anyone tell me whether the answer is possible or not?