Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian fails to install on UEFI

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Augiz

[Solved] Debian fails to install on UEFI

#1 Post by Augiz »

Hello, to clarify the laptop I'm trying to install debian on is Lenovo Ideapad 120s-14IAP.
Basically what happens it freezes on splash screen.

Using Debian 9.5 amd64 architecture, compiled into usb drive with rufus.
On UEFI architecture it just freezes on splash screen (lenovo logo), on Legacy bios it installs, but then its not possible to dual boot.
The very same usb with the very same debian works fine on my other two computers.

Ubuntu and linux mint (from same usb drive) installs just fine and works well on this laptop on UEFI. So the problem must be within debian.

Tried multiple usb drives too - no success.

Thanks for help.
Last edited by Augiz on 2018-09-09 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Debian fails to install on UEFI

#2 Post by stevepusser »

In UEFI mode on your machine, have you disabled Secure Boot and fast boot?
MX Linux packager and developer

Augiz

#3 Post by Augiz »

Yeah secure boot is disabled (if it weren't - debian would just drop warning). There's no fast boot option in bios but on windows settings its disabled.

As I said the screen just freezes on splash screen, which doesn't happen with linux mint or ubuntu on the very same settings.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by None1975 »

Please write the technical details of your computer.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Augiz

#5 Post by Augiz »

Pentium n4200, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd (not emmc), hd resolution. Laptop only has usb 3 ports (maybe thats the catch?). But i only own few usb 2.0 drives. Regardless ubuntu installs so does mint.

Is there a way to install debian on legacy then make it bootable from uefi?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

Augiz wrote:Using Debian 9.5 amd64 architecture, compiled into usb drive with rufus.
In "dd mode" ?
Augiz wrote:On UEFI architecture it just freezes on splash screen (lenovo logo)
Can you elaborate ? Can you select the USB media containing the Debian installer, then is the GRUB menu displayed ?
Augiz wrote:Ubuntu and linux mint (from same usb drive) installs just fine and works well on this laptop on UEFI.
FWIW, Ubuntu and Mint support UEFI secure boot. Debian does not (yet).
Augiz wrote:Is there a way to install debian on legacy then make it bootable from uefi?
Yes.
The hard part will be to set up the multiboot with Windows.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

Found this on websearch for debian+Ideapad+20s-14IAP there is a link to an older reddit that explains some BIOS settings that worked on another Ideapad 120s-12IAP

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... ot_ubuntu/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Augiz

#8 Post by Augiz »

Tried both iso and dd - same result.

picture of where computer freezes: https://i.imgur.com/0qdO6BR.jpg
(cursor mark top left corner but its frozen as well)

picture of bios settings: https://i.imgur.com/r6gj70i.jpg
Cant find a way to mess up with greyed options - "platform mode" and "secure boot mode" (which is set to custom).

milomak

#9 Post by milomak »

just to be clear that's the system splash screen? the one that appears on boot? so you don't get to the grub menu?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Augiz

#10 Post by Augiz »

milomak wrote:just to be clear that's the system splash screen? the one that appears on boot? so you don't get to the grub menu?
Correct. If I have the "secure boot"="on", the "secure boot status" still stays on disabled and the result stays the same.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by p.H »

Augiz wrote:Cant find a way to mess up with greyed options - "platform mode" and "secure boot mode" (which is set to custom).
Can't see the pictures right now but on some UEFI firmwares you must set a password to unlock secure boot settings.

You did not answer this :
In the UEFI boot menu, can you select the USB media containing the Debian installer ?

Augiz

#12 Post by Augiz »

p.H wrote:
Augiz wrote:Cant find a way to mess up with greyed options - "platform mode" and "secure boot mode" (which is set to custom).
Can't see the pictures right now but on some UEFI firmwares you must set a password to unlock secure boot settings.

You did not answer this :
Can you select the USB media containing the Debian installer, then is the GRUB menu displayed ?
I can see usb with debian being recognised from bios boot order screen, and its obviously the #1 on the list.

But you know when pc is loading you get that splash screen with manufacturer logo - "Asus", "Lenovo" or whatever - after which the OS boots right in. So yea I get stuck on that splash.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by p.H »

Do you mean that the "lenovo" splash screen is displayed after you selected to boot from the USB drive ?

Augiz

#14 Post by Augiz »

Correct, and just freezes on that.

milomak

#15 Post by milomak »

which install media have you chosen?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

@ttila

#16 Post by @ttila »

Are you able to boot the testing instead of stable "not-fresh" version? I own a lenovo g580 with "buster" and i know that their uefi bios isn't perfect (i cannot update my Trascend SSD booting their utility, i give up)

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by p.H »

If you cannot get the Debian installer to boot in native UEFI mode on this computer, other options include :

- Boot another UEFI-compatible medium (such as Ubuntu or Mint, or rEFInd) and launch the Debian installer from there.

- Install Debian in legacy mode. At first, the multiboot will consist in selecting legacy mode to boot Debian and UEFI mode to boot Windows.
After installation, you can try to set up a UEFI boot for Debian. First step is to mount the EFI system partition on /boot/efi and install grub-efi-amd64-bin. Run grub-install without argument to install GRUB EFI ; it will end with an error because EFI is not available, this is expected. Next step is to register an EFI boot entry for Debian ; this is possible only after booting in EFI mode. In Windows, bcdedit can be used to set Debian's GRUB as the primary boot loader instead of Windows Boot Manager. Or you can use efibootmgr in a UEFI-capable GNU/Linux live system.

Note that if you succeed in registering an EFI boot entry for Debian's GRUB, you may encounter the same issue as with the Debian installer. If that happens, you may have better luck by tweaking options in /etc/default/grub, for exemple to selext the text console instead of the graphical console.

Augiz

#18 Post by Augiz »

firmware 9.50

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

What are you replying to ?

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

p.H wrote:Next step is to register an EFI boot entry for Debian ; this is possible only after booting in EFI mode.
If the Debian .efi loader is copied to the EFI system partition at /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI then it should be booted automatically without an NVRAM boot entry.

Reference: http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/fallback.html

The --removable flag for `grub-install` does this.

The only problem then is that the firmware will almost certainly favour Windows' renegade bootmgfw.efi loader but the OP may be able to use the firmware boot menu to switch between the operating systems (or move bootmgfw.efi and make a custom boot entry for it, which is what I do).
deadbang