Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
3hre

[Solved]IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

#1 Post by 3hre »

Simplest: IceWeasel is not usable. I have installed it through the software manager without issue, or so it says, but when I go to open it to use it says that IceWeasel is not found

What brought me to try IceWeasel was the repeat unsuccessful installation of the latest Firefox Quantum version. Some pages I have read indicate that the latest version of Firefox Quantum will never be seen on Debian though I am unclear as to why. Is there something wrong with it I am unaware of? And if so is there an alternate source for an IceWeasel install?
Last edited by 3hre on 2018-09-22 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: IceWeasel/ Firefox Quantum issues

#2 Post by stevepusser »

There are ways to install Firefox Quantum on Stable, which I assume you have in lieu of any information. But since you don't provide any other information on how your tries failed, nobody can help you.

Iceweasel is only a dummy package now that pulls in firefox-esr, anyway...there's no more actual iceweasel.

MX Linux bundles the Mozilla Firefox binaries into a single deb package that makes it very easy to install on Stretch: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/f/firefox/ MX 17 is the Stretch version, though the MX 15 version is exactly the same inside. Do you know how to install a downloaded .deb package?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

3hre wrote:when I go to open it
^ What exactly does this mean?

If you are using

Code: Select all

iceweasel
then try this instead:

firefox-esr
And if you still want Iceweasel then

# apt install xul-ext-iceweasel-branding
deadbang

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

stevepusser is correct, there are other ways. I'm typing this using Firefox Quantum 62.0 (64-bit)which came as an appimage tarball. I un-tarred it and run it in user space. It runs beautifully and has the added security advantage in that it is not exposed to root and cannot be so exploited and can't mess up my Debian system.

3hre

#5 Post by 3hre »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
3hre wrote:when I go to open it
^ What exactly does this mean?

When I click the text within the software manager after installing IceWeasel which now indicates it is installed erroneously as I have since learned.

If you are using

iceweasel
then try this instead:

firefox-esr
I have done that, even had it pop up in an update window that supposedly installed it through the stretch updater yet still FireFox shows me on 61.0.1 instead of 62 and for some

3hre

#6 Post by 3hre »

stevepusser wrote: Do you know how to install a downloaded .deb package?
No, I do not

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

There is no Firefox 61.0.1 available in the standard Debian Stretch Repositories that would appear in the apt system. There was one in Sid yesterday...so what does

apt policy firefox
apt policy
Say about your system?

Steve (anticipates a flaming wreck, dons goggles and face mask)

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

3hre wrote:
stevepusser wrote: Do you know how to install a downloaded .deb package?
No, I do not
:?
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... eb+package
now you do.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

3hre wrote:Some pages I have read indicate that the latest version of Firefox Quantum will never be seen on Debian though I am unclear as to why. Is there something wrong with it I am unaware of? And if so is there an alternate source for an IceWeasel install?
The latest Firefox-esr (version 60.2.0esr Firefox Quantum) is already in Debian Stretch repo.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

None1975 wrote:
3hre wrote:Some pages I have read indicate that the latest version of Firefox Quantum will never be seen on Debian though I am unclear as to why. Is there something wrong with it I am unaware of? And if so is there an alternate source for an IceWeasel install?
The latest Firefox-esr (version 60.2.0esr Firefox Quantum) is already in Debian Stretch repo.
Yet, I can't see its cargo and rustc build-depends in Stretch yet---hopefully this will soon be remedied. I manually downloaded and installed the deb9u debs from the repo pool which are still invisible, added a line at the top of debian/rules

export SHELL=/bin/sh
and it now looks like I'm able to rebuild 60.0 from source, and probably backport the 62.0 now in Sid. If they get the build-deps visible, I could try that backport in an OBS repo.

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

For what it's worth, I was also able to backport the 62.0 version from Sid successfully on my amd64 production system, though the system I built it on has a backported libglib2.0 and fontconfigs to support GIMP 2.10, so it might not be really compatible. I could rebuild the packages on a clean Stretch system, though, if anyone wants them.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by None1975 »

stevepusser wrote:I could rebuild the packages on a clean Stretch system, though, if anyone wants them.
It is good news. Keep a good work!
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

MarkDees

#13 Post by MarkDees »

Bulkley wrote:stevepusser is correct, there are other ways. I'm typing this using Firefox Quantum 62.0 (64-bit)which came as an appimage tarball. I un-tarred it and run it in user space. It runs beautifully and has the added security advantage in that it is not exposed to root and cannot be so exploited and can't mess up my Debian system.
Bulkley, that's interesting. Can you explain more? I don't see how running the un-tarred file is more secure than running Firefox installed from the repos. Sure, we need to be root to install/update from repos. But after the install is done, Firefox is just run as my user isn't it?

Thanks!
Mark

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

MarkDees wrote:
Bulkley wrote:stevepusser is correct, there are other ways. I'm typing this using Firefox Quantum 62.0 (64-bit)which came as an appimage tarball. I un-tarred it and run it in user space. It runs beautifully and has the added security advantage in that it is not exposed to root and cannot be so exploited and can't mess up my Debian system.
Bulkley, that's interesting. Can you explain more? I don't see how running the un-tarred file is more secure than running Firefox installed from the repos. Sure, we need to be root to install/update from repos. But after the install is done, Firefox is just run as my user isn't it?

Thanks!
Mark
It's one way to easily install and use Firefox 62.0 or future versions in your system instead of a 60.X-esr version, if you need/want the latest releases.

3hre

Firefox Quantum issues

#15 Post by 3hre »

I'm still dealing with issues here. In addition to the screencap below I am constantly getting these nag notices from Firefox in my browser to update, random errors, tons of lag, and for some reason, despite that I am using Debian, still saying that my Firefox is for Ubuntu. I'm about ready to get a carrier pigeon ... and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached but to summarize as best I can after debian stretch updates it says something about Ubuntu cosmic in release for Firefox next being installed (wtheck is that?)

bw123

Re: Firefox Quantum issues

#16 Post by bw123 »

3hre wrote:I'm still dealing with issues here. In addition to the screencap below I am constantly getting these nag notices from Firefox in my browser to update, random errors, tons of lag, and for some reason, despite that I am using Debian, still saying that my Firefox is for Ubuntu. I'm about ready to get a carrier pigeon ... and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached but to summarize as best I can after debian stretch updates it says something about Ubuntu cosmic in release for Firefox next being installed (wtheck is that?)
you never answered this:
stevepusser wrote: There is no Firefox 61.0.1 available in the standard Debian Stretch Repositories that would appear in the apt system. There was one in Sid yesterday...so what does

apt policy firefox
    apt policy
Say about your system?

resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

stevepusser wrote:There is no Firefox 61.0.1 available in the standard Debian Stretch Repositories that would appear in the apt system. There was one in Sid yesterday...so what does

apt policy firefox
apt policy
Say about your system?

--- and I can't upload the corresponding terminal image because it says the board attachment quota has been reached
You shouldn't need it upload any image, Just copy paste the output of what it says, please use "code boxes" for the text. But if you think you simply must post some kind of image, see this:Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

3hre

#18 Post by 3hre »

firefox:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 62.0~b20+build1-0ubuntu0.18.10.1
Version table:
62.0~b20+build1-0ubuntu0.18.10.1 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu cosmic/main amd64 Packages

Package files:
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
release a=now
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/fi ... ext/ubuntu cosmic/main amd64 Packages
release v=18.10,o=LP-PPA-mozillateam-firefox-next,a=cosmic,n=cosmic,l=Official PPA for Firefox Beta,c=main,b=amd64
origin ppa.launchpad.net
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates/main amd64 Packages
release o=Debian,a=stable-updates,n=stretch-updates,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin ftp.us.debian.org
500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
release v=9,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian-Security,c=main,b=amd64
origin security.debian.org
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
release v=9.5,o=Debian,a=stable,n=stretch,l=Debian,c=main,b=amd64
origin ftp.us.debian.org

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, interesting, please, Show us what your /etc/apt/sources.list file have in it,as well show us the entire file, and do not change anything, show us like it is.
Also if there is anything in the /etc/apt/sources.list/sources.list.d

It looks like you installed Firefox from the Ubuntu ppa's , but you say you are using Debian. Debian is NOT Ubuntu, so why use Ubuntu ppas ?
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs
This is nothing new, there are 100's of others that have done the same thing, and the testimonies are here:
Repo mix-and-match hit parade

3hre

#20 Post by 3hre »

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.5.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20180714-10:25]/ stretch main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.5.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20180714-10:25]/ stretch main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

# stretch-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main

(nothing on list d)

Regarding Firefox; I got the tar off of Firefox's page under the Firefox for Linux link and since there was were no further specifications/choices assumed, apparently erroneously, that it was not an issue. Is there a more reliable source? I don't really want to think about having to do this but would it be a good idea to just scrub my HD and do a fresh install?