Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot process hang (after swap creation?)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
simgunz

Boot process hang (after swap creation?)

#1 Post by simgunz »

I downloaded the latest Debian 9 live usb with nonfree driver and burned it to a USB drive. I loaded the live system on an old ASUS X71SL. I managed to run the live and then install the system. The debian system was able to boot fine. After rebooting in Windows 7 and applying a Windows update the Debian system hanged on boot. In particular starting in Debian recovery mode it seems to hang after these two messages:

zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[ 3.651373] ima: No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!

I tried to run the live USB and also that one hanged at the same point.

The last time I managed to boot I created a swap partition on a logical partition of the disk. Can this be the cause? Can it be that also the live tries to use the swap and it hangs?

L_V

Re: Boot process hang (after swap creation?)

#2 Post by L_V »

Try to add noresume as kernel boot option.

simgunz

#3 Post by simgunz »

Tried what you suggested and nothing changed.

I now removed the swap partition. Same problem.

Tried to boot ubuntu live and I get a black screen with blinking cursor.

Tried to boot with TinyCore and it get stuck on "Booting the kernel".

simgunz

#4 Post by simgunz »

Another thing I did before the hang was to add the swap and an NTFS HHD to fstab. I used the disk naming /dev/sda1 instead of UUID, while the root file system used UUID. can be this mixing og naming that causes the hang? How can I change this if I cannot boot any distro?

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

> I tried to run the live USB and also that one hanged at the same point.

Sounds like the Windows update did something to your BIOS/UEFI. Can't tell what, I'm not a Windows user.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

simgunz wrote:A I used the disk naming /dev/sda1 instead of UUID, while the root file system used UUID.
This can obviously be the root cause if you boot from usb. Then use UUID for root and swap identification.

Code: Select all

lsblk -f

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

simgunz wrote:Another thing I did before the hang was to add the swap and an NTFS HHD to fstab. I used the disk naming /dev/sda1 instead of UUID, while the root file system used UUID. can be this mixing og naming that causes the hang?
Be serious. How could this have any effect on another system ?

simgunz

#8 Post by simgunz »

p.H wrote:
simgunz wrote:Another thing I did before the hang was to add the swap and an NTFS HHD to fstab. I used the disk naming /dev/sda1 instead of UUID, while the root file system used UUID. can be this mixing og naming that causes the hang?
Be serious. How could this have any effect on another system ?
The fstab entries clearly cannot have effects of the USB live, I am just reporting all the things that I did. But I am wondering what can have an effect on a USB live distro that was working 5 minutes before. The only thing I can think of is either the BIOS or the swap (maybe the usb live tries to use the swap if it finds one). I ruled out the swap by eliminating the swap partion. So it can be only the BIOS (or an hardware failure?).

The BIOS does not have UEFI or secure boot, it's a plain old legacy BIOS without many options.

Another thing is that at some point the date/time of the BIOS was wrong and I set it to the correct time (maybe the BIOS battery is dying).
L_V wrote:This can obviously be the root cause if you boot from usb. Then use UUID for root and swap identification.
I did remove the swap partition from Windows. So it should not affect the live USB? Also form where should I run that command. I cannot reach any shell.

L_V

#9 Post by L_V »

Do you have something like this in your BIOS ?
"Security Chip / Security tab "
If yes, try disabling security chip.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by p.H »

Can you boot a live system when the internal drive is unplugged ? Failure would rule out any change that the Windows update may have done to the drive contents.

simgunz

#11 Post by simgunz »

As reported here:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=198561

BIOS > Security> I / O interface Security> "New interface card" or so. Set it to locked.

Solves the problem.

Still not sure what caused this.
I may have resetted the BIOS settings by mistake and this thing go resetted to unlocked.

L_V

#12 Post by L_V »

simgunz wrote:Still not sure what caused this.
I think you already have answered to your question.
simgunz wrote:After rebooting in Windows 7 and applying a Windows update the Debian system hanged on boot.