Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox update messed up flash [SOLVED]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ckosloff

Firefox update messed up flash [SOLVED]

#1 Post by ckosloff »

Firefox updated without my knowledge surreptitiously and I hate it now , because every time I open it it serves me crap from celebs.
But that is the least of my concerns, problem is flash player no longer works.
libflashplayer.so is always in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but it no longer works.
I need flash, not because I like it but because some of the websites I use for work use it..
How can I get it to work again?
Last edited by ckosloff on 2018-09-21 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

ckosloff

Re: Firefox update messed up flash

#2 Post by ckosloff »

I tried the semi-automatic method recommended in the wiki but it does not work, throws syntax errors.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Does anyone still use Flash? For what? If you think you need it try pepper flash, libpepflashplayer.so.

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

@ckosloff
Seriously...... System configuration => Desktop & Multimedia
[SOLVED] Adobe Flash Plugin not working in Mozilla
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=138547

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Does anyone still use Flash?
I don't use it, Why ? It is pretty rare I even see a website that still uses/requires it, and the ones that require using "flash", well, I just don't visit or use that website.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

GarryRicketson wrote:
I don't use it, Why ? It is pretty rare I even see a website that still uses/requires it, and the ones that require using "flash", well, I just don't visit or use that website.
The OP already stated that they require it for work, so I don't get all the questions about "do you really, really need it?" Like I've said before, the MX adobe-flashplugin package I port over from Ubuntu works great and installs both NPAPI and PPAPI (pepper) flash.
MX Linux packager and developer

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

GarryRicketson wrote:
I really would not care, but my employer is in stone age :mrgreen: and forces me to use flash.

ckosloff

#8 Post by ckosloff »

The funny thing is that flash was working perfectly until the freakin Firefox update, so I think it has to do with that, or that I have to move the library to a different location.
Has anybody got flash to work with the latest Firefox.
I don't like Flash , I just need it for work purposes.
The semi automatic method recommended by the wiki fails, that shell script has errors.

arzgi

#9 Post by arzgi »

ckosloff wrote: Has anybody got flash to work with the latest Firefox.
The semi automatic method recommended by the wiki fails, that shell script has errors.
Yes, in another thread I said, that I got flash working in latest firefox-esr, by downloading sid flashplugin-nonfree, and installed it

Code: Select all

dpkg -i [package]
For several minutes nothing happened, but then it started to download, and has worked since.

In the other thread however, the OP could not install flashplugin-nonfree using same method, I suspected network timeouts.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

ckosloff wrote:The funny thing is that flash was working perfectly until the freakin Firefox update, so I think it has to do with that, or that I have to move the library to a different location.
Try the MX 17 adobe-flashplugin package, tell me if it doesn't work, or quit complaining. Use gdebi to install a standalone deb package if you don't know how to do that. http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/
Firefox requires that it be restarted, the same as for any added plugin.

Note that the plugin was just updated, so I'm doing the 20180911.1 update right now for the repo.

ckosloff

#11 Post by ckosloff »

Installed gnash ans solved problem, but then my video system crashed, so I am unable to give a definitve answer, willbe back to this forum.
I was told to install flashplugin-nonfree from unstable, or flash from the debian multimedia repository, which is unofficial, so I went with gnash.
Thanks for all answers.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

You've dug your own hole. Good luck.

ckosloff

#13 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:You've dug your own hole. Good luck.
Following the wiki I could solve the video issue, there is another thread for that.
Now that I got that straightened out, will deal with flash again and let you know

ckosloff

#14 Post by ckosloff »

stevepusser wrote:
ckosloff wrote:The funny thing is that flash was working perfectly until the freakin Firefox update, so I think it has to do with that, or that I have to move the library to a different location.
Try the MX 17 adobe-flashplugin package, tell me if it doesn't work, or quit complaining. Use gdebi to install a standalone deb package if you don't know how to do that. http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non-free ... ashplugin/

Note that the plugin was just updated, so I'm doing the 20180911.1 update right now for the repo.
I followed your suggestion and got this weird message from dpkg, please note that I did not type anything just went to download location in Dolphin and opened terminal there:

root@crosshair:~# dpkg -i adobe-flashplugin_20190811.1-1mx17+1.amd64.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'adobe-flashplugin_20190811.1-1mx17+1.amd64.deb': No such file or directory
root@crosshair:~# 

ckosloff

#15 Post by ckosloff »

Video works really well after installing correctly the nvidia driver, so I cannot blame anything on it. Reinstalled gnash and flash not working.
This is getting ridiculous, tried everything, including loading pepper flash, does not work either, although apt reports that latest version is installed.
Tried flashplugin from sid and dpkg does not find it in the download location, plus gnash does not work as intended, all the other options in wiki I tried like Lightspark and swfdec.

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

ckosloff wrote:
stevepusser wrote:

I followed your suggestion and got this weird message from dpkg, please note that I did not type anything just went to download location in Dolphin and opened terminal there:

root@crosshair:~# dpkg -i adobe-flashplugin_20190811.1-1mx17+1.amd64.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'adobe-flashplugin_20190811.1-1mx17+1.amd64.deb': No such file or directory
root@crosshair:~# 
Are you sure that downloaded deb file exists in the root of your home directory (~) instead of a subdirectory? Because that's where your output says you're trying to install it from.

I would also suggest you install and use gdebi, or learn how to use the "apt" command to do so, instead of dpkg to install standalone deb packages.

milomak

#17 Post by milomak »

is it possible to know the site in question?

i run sid
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

ckosloff

#18 Post by ckosloff »

milomak wrote:is it possible to know the site in question?

i run sid
What site?
packages.debian.org, I presume
Last edited by ckosloff on 2018-09-21 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

ckosloff

#19 Post by ckosloff »

@steve pusser

I don't want to install gdebi, don't want to mix KDE with gnome packages, I find synaptic to perfectly suit my needs.
Besides dpkg is a true Debian package, and I have installed lots of files with it, without any problem.
But you are right about terminal being in correct location, if you open terminal in dolphin, it will not be in the full path, although Dolphin has an option to view full path, doing ls -al will not show the file, only if you cd the full path, it will find it and move or copy it, that is what i did, then mv or cp to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins both the NPAPI library and the pep one, just in case, as root.
Without rebooting, I got Flash after warning that plugin was outdated, I saved my choice and IT WORKED!

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

ckosloff wrote:@steve pusser

I don't want to install gdebi, don't want to mix KDE with gnome packages, I find synaptic to perfectly suit my needs.
Besides dpkg is a true Debian package, and I have installed lots of files with it, without any problem.
But you are right about terminal being in correct location, if you open terminal in dolphin, it will not be in the full path, although Dolphin has an option to view full path, doing ls -al will not show the file, only if you cd the full path, it will find it and move or copy it, that is what i did, then mv or cp to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins both the NPAPI library and the pep one, just in case, as root.
Without rebooting, I got Flash after warning that plugin was outdated, I saved my choice and IT WORKED!
You can use gdebi-kde instead:
simple tool to install deb files - KDE GUI

gdebi lets you install local deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does the same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages.

This package contains the KDE user interface.

Though the description is outdated, since we can now use apt to install local deb files, and any number at once, instead of just one at a time. So I wrote (with some help with the coding) and packaged a Dolphin right-click servicemenu that lets you either install a deb file with apt, or check its hash sums: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/k/k ... stalldebs/