Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Error while installing NVIDIA GT 530 driver (v. 390.87)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
upzb

Error while installing NVIDIA GT 530 driver (v. 390.87)

#1 Post by upzb »

I am currently trying to install a driver (version 390.87) for a NVIDIA Geforce 530, but at the end of the installation (after running sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.87.run) I keep getting the following ERROR message on a blue window over a black:
ERROR: Unable to find the development tool "make" in your path; please make sure that you have the package "make" installed. If make is installed in your system, then please check that "make" is in your PATH.
I have deleted the driver instalation program and download it again from the NVIDIA official website, but I keep having the same problem.
How can I install "make" or see if I already have it? Have any of you had any similar problem?

Thank you very much.

Dai_trying

Re: Error while installing NVIDIA GT 530 driver (v. 390.87)

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

Version 390.77-1~bpo9+1 is available from Stretch-backports (non-free) which is usually an easier route, I use the 384.130-1 version from the stable repo for my GTS 450 card and it works just fine.

A quick check on the Debian Wiki tells me your card is supported with the stable driver.

stevepusser

Re: Error while installing NVIDIA GT 530 driver (v. 390.87)

#3 Post by stevepusser »

You need basic compiling tools and kernel headers before you can compile the driver for your kernel. I would suggest you follow the Debian's wiki directions on how to install the drivers from the non-free repo section, except you can install the build-dependences easier:

install module-assistant.

As root or with sudo, run

Code: Select all

m-a prepare
MX Linux packager and developer