Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Request for a Script for automation

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bkpsusmitaa

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

This is the request: Request for a Script for automation
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

bkpsusmitaa

#2 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

It was observed that Debian Forum has reached its limit for individual posters to upload files. Whatever files.
So the files have been uploaded to the Google drive and the link posted here.
The query are posted sequentially in four snapshots with guidelines posted there itself, sequentially from Step1 up to Step4.
LXDE is used in my system as the Windows Manager. Why? It suits my work style.
My system runs fine if Metacity is the chosen Window Manager for Compiz Fuzion.

I want to automate the process with a script. Could I be guided please?
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

arzgi

Re: Request for a Script for automation

#3 Post by arzgi »

bkpsusmitaa wrote: I want to automate the process with a script. Could I be guided please?
There is packet abs-guide available in Debian repos, the Advanced Bash-Scritping guide. You can also find tutorials using your favourite net search.

cronoik

#4 Post by cronoik »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:I want to automate the process with a script. Could I be guided please?
Do you want to do this to practise bash scripting for mouse interactions or do you just want to change your window manager? You can achieve the former with xdotool [1]. For the latter you have to set metacity in:
(global) /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf
(user) ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf

[1] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xdotool
Have a nice day!

bkpsusmitaa

#5 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

cronoik wrote:Do you want to do this to practise bash scripting for mouse interactions ...
Thanks, cronoik, for choosing to interact and seeking to help. Your query indicate your intent to help. It is a great virtue, rather than comments like, "you could read the blah-blah book for scripting with awk & sed or a Google search".
Metacity is easily invoked by

Code: Select all

nohup metacity --replace
and further from lxde. My system is already set to Compiz. I just switch to metacity. I could go back to compiz by

Code: Select all

nohup compiz --replace
, I can do it from lxterminal, or visually, as shown earlier.
I want to do it by scripts. Elaborate ones with options windows (like the one in pppoeconf, or debconf) in CLI.
I also want to learn how to wrap a CLI application with a gtk wrapper and use it as a GUI. I can't find good teachers for these. At least, not in Bangalore or in India. Talked to hundreds of MCAs looking for signs in their eyes and words chosen. I remain unimpressed.
Thanks, once again, for your query, cronoik. For your intent to help.
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2018-09-12 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Books that help:

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i was going to hold my tongue (honestly), but i cannot let this slip:
bkpsusmitaa wrote:Thanks, cronoik, for choosing to interact and seeking to help. Your query indicate your intent to help. It is a great virtue, rather than comments like, "you could read the blah-blah book for scripting with awk & sed or a Google search".
it is not "a great virtue", it is an indulgence.
both posters tried to help you.
you are deciding that the easier path is the better path, and are chiding the other user for providing advice that does not please you.

i like to interact, but there's nothing to interact with: you are asking us to write a script for you. you call it "guidance", but since you haven't tried anything yourself, it really just means "please feed me step-by-step solution".
and no, i'm not going to click that link.
if you cannot describe your problem comprehensibly, i cannot "interact".