Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Has Debian ever considered and easier install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
BeulahTerry

Has Debian ever considered and easier install

#1 Post by BeulahTerry »

Just installed MX.
Yes the install process is about the easiest I have seen.
Debian has to be a little more involved due to picking a DE or WM.
You have also like other distros included some packages to help the user get installed.
Debian is pretty raw at its core and designed to be that way.
I wonder if they could put an installer together that automates some of the process like finding your network cards and installing the proper drivers for them (wired and wireless). If it could detect other hardware you have like video card , printers and install drivers for them.
I guess that would take more of a staff that they don't have.
It sure would get people up and running faster I would think.
How many forum threads are related to getting those packages installed.
I mean if MX can do it and Mint and Ubuntu to name a few can do it you would think Debian could do it.
Oh well here I go again. I know I said this is solved so I will quit.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Has Debian ever considered and easier install

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

For the N-th time, Debian gives you options, you just have to find them. I think installation process is very easy. You say this:
BeulahTerry wrote:Debian has to be a little more involved due to picking a DE or WM.
like it's some downside to Debian's installer. I think it's a big pro.
BeulahTerry wrote:I wonder if they could put an installer together that automates some of the process like finding your network cards and installing the proper drivers for them (wired and wireless). If it could detect other hardware you have like video card , printers and install drivers for them.
Non-free installer will in many cases detect your Wi-Fi card, and install firmware for your graphics cards. Drivers are in the kernel.

Debian wouldn't come this far if not for it's commitment to free software. You are mistaking user-friendliness with user-centric approach.
See the thread in my sig on why Debian isn't so user-friendly.

rivenathos

#4 Post by rivenathos »

Installing Debian has actually been a breeze for me since I began my journey back with 4.0 Etch. The almighty Debian Installer is so much more powerful than the derivatives, but it does take a little more initiative, research, and practice to get everything "just right" - which is the same for most any activity.

Think back to your journey from tricycle, to training wheels, and then to an actual bicycle... The elation and pride you felt at each stage of advancement encouraged you to do more to reach the next level.

With Debian, make notes! Keep track of what works and does not work for your particular hardware. Listen to the suggestions of others who may be further along your path. Keep an open mind and be willing to learn.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

golinux

#5 Post by golinux »

Debian does not cater to the lower end of the bell curve and for very good reasons. After using Debian for about 15 years, I still find the installer a bit challenging because I don't do it that often. But the alternative is the path to a type of "slavery". Convenience is a door that can access "hidden things" that limit freedom.
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

BeulahTerry wrote:Debian has to be a little more involved due to picking a DE or WM.
You have also like other distros included some packages to help the user get installed.
Debian is pretty raw at its core and designed to be that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0MRyUFIXU
deadbang