Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I can't "check" repositories and update sources

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tiotrom

I can't "check" repositories and update sources

#1 Post by tiotrom »

So I go to Software and Updates. Debian Software: here I have 3 options, Main, DFSG, and non-DFSG. I can't mark any of them. If I click one it asks for admin password but nothing happens afterwards. When i close the Software and Updates and click "reload" as it asks, then it reloads the sources and it gets stuck at "refreshing software cache". In the same Software and Updates section, under Updates I can't select any updates from there, like security updates of recommended updates. I am using Debian testing, latest version.

Wheelerof4te

Re: I can't "check" repositories and update sources

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

What do you have under "Other software" tab? IIRC, those three checkboxes work only for current stable version. BTW, I use SId and those checkboxes are empty.

I strongly urge you to use apt instead of Synaptic/Software, especially on Testing.

tiotrom

#3 Post by tiotrom »

Oh I see I didn't know that. Here's what I have to "Other Sources" Image

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Why does it have Ubuntu repos checked, ? why are those even there ?
Is this really Debian ?
Maybe read this :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

PPAs are only for Ubuntu, don't ever use those.
You also have one duplicate list. Keep the deb-debian one, and deactivate ftp.us for buster main.

tiotrom

#6 Post by tiotrom »

GarryRicketson wrote:Why does it have Ubuntu repos checked, ? why are those even there ?
Is this really Debian ?
Maybe read this :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs

Look, I understand. I am trying to migrate from Ubuntu to Debian because I love what Debian stands for. However Debian lacks some open source software that I truly need because I make documentaries and books. I may only need like 2-3 ppas and I try to avoid that as much as possible. They didn't work anyway so I will delete them - I am in "testing" mode to see if I can migrate from ubuntu. So far so great. Love Debian.

tiotrom

#7 Post by tiotrom »

Wheelerof4te wrote:PPAs are only for Ubuntu, don't ever use those.
You also have one duplicate list. Keep the deb-debian one, and deactivate ftp.us for buster main.
Done. But it gets stuck here all the time Image

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

Well, I don't know how to say this nicely, but I don't see other way than reinstall. And you just can't install Ubuntu ppas to Debian, any. Choose one or other, you can not have both.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, well unfortunately, Debian does not work that way. It is possible sometimes to download the source code for a program, and compile it for Debian,...
There is a correct way, the Debian way, it is explained in the Debian documentation.
We have a topic dedicated to the results and consequences of trying to mix / match Ubuntu and other distros, you may find it interesting.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130

If you want to use Debian, and Ubuntu , then one way would be to setup a dual boot system, Install Debian to 1 partition, keep it just Debian, install Ubuntu to another partition, keep it as Ubuntu, boot with which ever one you need at that time.
Or a better solution, install Debian, and also install QEMU , then install the Ubuntu on a VM, if and when you need to use a ubuntu program, start the VM, and you have Ubuntu , with out ever needing to reboot, or exit your Debian system.
========== edit ====
I may only need like 2-3 ppas and I try to avoid that as much as possible.
All it takes is just 1 , and it can wreck the system, sometimes they appear to work ok for awhile, but sooner or later it turns into a train wreck. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing years ago, when I first started using Debian, but there was one software package I liked, and it was not available in the Debian repos, I knew it was in the Ubuntu repos, so I added that to my sources, and installed it,... thought I was really smart,... a couple of weeks later, "Oh no something went wrong",... and some research showed me why that package was not in the Debian repos, (bug), and I learned a lesson. Re-installed Debian, and also had Xubuntu on another partition, as dual boot. Later I found using VM's to be more convenient.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-09-15 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arzgi wrote:you just can't install Ubuntu ppas to Debian
There is a way, actually:

https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

Or search for stevepusser's OBS packaging HowTo on these boards.
deadbang

arzgi

#11 Post by arzgi »

Thanks HoS and GarryRicketson, there are ways. But if some one has just borked his/her system, I think it is good time to learn some thumb rules, that it will not happen again.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

tiotrom wrote: ...

Look, I understand. I am trying to migrate from Ubuntu to Debian because I love what Debian stands for. However Debian lacks some open source software that I truly need because I make documentaries and books.
Debian has a really huge amount of open source software in the main repo, and also a ton of stuff in contrib and non-free. What software do you find lacking? Some things can temporarily be missing from testing, for different reasons.

If you have already mixed stuff from ppa or different releases, I agree that starting fresh and avoiding that in the future will probably make your migration a lot easier.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Why do you still have the Debian CDROM enabled? You don't need that after installation, so I bet that's at the root of your issue, especially if you don't have it available to the system.

We might have some of that PPA software rebuilt already on a Debian base for MX 17. Polo file manager or aptik-gtk, for example:

https://repology.org/metapackage/polo/versions
https://repology.org/metapackage/aptik-gtk/versions
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#14 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Maybe those software projects you use have .debs available on their web pages? Usually, projects that support Linux have .deb and .rpm packages for installation.
Example, Viber has a .deb which supports even Jessie.

When one transits from Ubuntu to Debian, it's better to start with Stable. Look at it like just another Ubuntu LTS version, but "cleaner".

tiotrom

#15 Post by tiotrom »

Thank you so much for all the help. That's also something that i wanted to test for debian: the support. Ubuntu has that great "asskubuntu" website that is super helpful, but I see Debian has great support too.

So, from what I understand:
1. never add ppas to Debian! Got that, I won't. I see there is a way to that though https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA as suggested here in the replies. Which is encouraging in case you ever need that.
2. deb works as well on Ubuntu as it does on Debian. which is great.
3. use stable Debian: here I am unsure since I tried the stable one and I've see that it has super old software and I've heard Debian testing is pretty stable
4. Seems a bit difficult to fix Debian when you mess it up. At least that's what I get. I am using Ubuntu for the past 6 years and I didn't reinstall it for 3 years now. Only updated and upgraded it. Works really good. So I am afraid that if I mess something on Debian the only option is to reinstall. I am not a regular user, I have lots of files, projects, and apps installed, so reinstall it is not a pleasant experience. I want to avoid that as much as possible.

I was asked what software I don't find in Debian's repos. Two of them that come to my mind are PDF Mod and PDF Shuffle. They allow me to edit my PDF books.

"Why do you still have the Debian CDROM enabled?" - I don't know....I didn't do anything to add that so it was there. Or at least no something that I remember....

I am going to reinstall Debian Testing again and take all of those suggestions into account. By the way, sorry if this is off topic, but when I install Debian I get an error saying my user is not in the "sudoers" and I have to do this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/258865 to make it work. But am I doing anything wrong when installing Debian? I can make a new thread for this if you suggest that.

Thank you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

tiotrom wrote:I tried the stable one and I've see that it has super old software
Yes, it does, that's why Debian provide a backports repository and also why MX Linux provide newer software versions based on Debian stable.
tiotrom wrote:I've heard Debian testing is pretty stable
No, Debian testing is a development branch rather than a release and so can be expected to break on a boringly regular basis ;)

See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2&p=655783
deadbang

bw123

#17 Post by bw123 »

4. Seems a bit difficult to fix Debian when you mess it up.
Yeah it can be, the idea is not to mess it up in the first place. I think you're determined to start on testing, that's fine. The best thing you can do is read documentation.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... .html#s3.1

How did you try find the two programs you wanted? Debian probably has just about everything you would want. You might not need outside repos, source, or ppa but they can work if you are careful.

Code: Select all

$ apt search pdfmod
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
pdfmod/stable 0.9.1-8 all
  simple tool for modifying PDF documents

pdfmod-dbg/stable 0.9.1-8 all
  simple tool for modifying PDF documents -- debugging symbols

$ apt search pdfshuffle
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
pdfshuffler/stable 0.6.0-8 all
  merge, split and re-arrange pages from PDF documents
resigned by AI ChatGPT

arzgi

#18 Post by arzgi »

tiotrom wrote: 3. use stable Debian: here I am unsure since I tried the stable one and I've see that it has super old software and I've heard Debian testing is pretty stable
As an Ubuntu user you may see that Debian has 'super old' software. I never used Ubuntu (well, 2 hours when it was relased), to me those packages are tested against bugs,

Testing, it's name tells it all, this is the stage, where that bug hunting happens, what usually is not in other distros. If you prefer stability, stay away from testing. If you search the forum, you would find so many posts about bugs in testing packets, or Buster as many call it.

A few weeks ago we compared on Debian IRC channel how many packets are available in stable Debian, mean was around 56 000. Propably about half are librarises, but still there are thousands of packets to choose from. You can do almost anything if you try at least a portion of those.

I've used pdfshuffler for years, pdfmod is also in Debian repo, as been showed in previous post. If you are going to use Debian, it's good to learn apt and aptitude, which are command line package managers. For example, here I search packages starting with pdf:

aptitude search ^pdf | less
aptitude and less are Debian programs, which have to be installed before using, search is aptitude command, ^ means starting with next word, which in this case is pdf, | is a pipe, with transmits the output from command as input to next program, here less, which is a pager.
Output:

p  pdf-presenter-console - multi-monitor presentation tool (ala Keynote) for PDF files
v  pdf-viewer - 
v  pdf.js - 
p  pdf.js-common - Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer - common files
p  pdf2djvu - PDF to DjVu converter
p  pdf2htmlex - Converts PDF to HTML while retaining most formatting
p  pdf2svg - converts PDF documents to SVG files (one per page)
p  pdfchain - graphical user interface for the PDF Tool Kit
p  pdfcrack - PDF files password cracker
p  pdfcube - PDF document viewer with 3D effects
p  pdfcube-dbg - PDF document viewer with 3D effects - debug symbols
p  pdfgrep - search in pdf files for strings matching a regular expression
v  pdfjam - 
p  pdfminer-data - PDF parser and analyser (encoding data)
p  pdfmod - simple tool for modifying PDF documents
p  pdfmod-dbg - simple tool for modifying PDF documents -- debugging symbols
v  pdfpc - 
p  pdfposter - scale and tile PDF images/pages to print on multiple pages
p  pdfresurrect - tool for extracting/scrubbing versioning data from PDF documents
p  pdfsam - PDF Split and Merge
p  pdfsandwich - Tool to generate "sandwich" OCR pdf files
p  pdfshuffler - merge, split and re-arrange pages from PDF documents
i  pdftk - tool for manipulating PDF documents
p  pdftk-dbg - tool for manipulating PDF documents (debugging symbols)
v  pdftohtml - 
p  pdftoipe - converts arbitrary PDF file to XML file readable by Ipe
As showed, there are ways to install Ubuntu packages to Debian. But if you do this, IMHO it is not stable anymore, and Debian security support covers only packages available in Debian repo.

I know many books and thesis statements written using stable Debian. I don't know what made you think Debian might be better. for some Ubuntu is better choice.

EDIT: Temporary blockage in memory, changed 'errors' to bugs, thanks Hallvor!
Last edited by arzgi on 2018-09-16 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by Hallvor »

Stable means that it changes very little, not that it is bug free. The first part makes it ideal for a production system.
Testing means... testing. There is nothing stable about it in any sense. It changes a lot, and sooner or later it will break your system. It is not meant for production systems.

If you must have the latest software, Ubuntu is a good compromise between stable and recent.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

arzgi

#20 Post by arzgi »

Hallvor wrote:Stable means that it changes very little, not that it is bug free.
Stable changes close to nothing. Major bugs are fixed during testing, but stable's bug count rises continously the time it is supported. Debian bugs are public, easy to check.

From Debian FAQ:'Stable is rock solid. It does not break and has full security support. But it not might have support for the latest hardware.'

I've been using stable soon 20 years, and remember only 2 times, when some stable package I've been using went broke. Both from the same reason, hard coded web address changed.