Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Random freezes on two different computers.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sedros

Random freezes on two different computers.

#1 Post by sedros »

Hi All!
Since the begging of August I'm experiencing random freezes on two of my computers: a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop and a stationary PC (this one has an AMD FX-8150 CPU and a NVidia GeForce GTX 950 GPU). On both computers I have the newest Debian testing with KDE Plasma.

Freezes happen randomly and have various severity - usually on the stationary PC they are less severe - sometimes it's enough to use Alt+Tab to force the system out of a freeze and sometimes I need to wait 10 minutes for it to end. Sometimes I can open yakuake and check what is happening with htop - it shows up to 3 of 8 cores 100% utilized by IO-wait. When that happens I can't start any new executables even if I switch to console with Ctrl+Alt+F1. When the freeze is ending I can hear HDDs start to read or write something and then the PC is responsive again. On my laptop the freezes quite often prevent me even to switch to console with Ctrl+Alt+F1.

I think that the freezes started after updating Plasma to 5.13.4. Disabling mode setting in GRUB does not help. Smartctl shows SSDs and HDDs to be healthy. To be honest I have no more ideas how to diagnose the problem and solve it and it's very frustrating. Can you help me?

bw123

Re: Random freezes on two different computers.

#2 Post by bw123 »

On both computers I have the newest Debian testing with KDE Plasma.
I think that the freezes started after updating Plasma to 5.13.4
...To be honest I have no more ideas how to diagnose the problem and solve it and it's very frustrating. Can you help me?
I think you have diagnosed the problem, it was probably the updates. I'm not sure how to solve it, did you try restoring a backup from before the updates?
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable# ... d_users.3F
resigned by AI ChatGPT

arzgi

#3 Post by arzgi »

Idea checking htop was very good, next time check also the programs, which are at top of the list.

Do you find any consictency, is it the same program/s, which cause jam.

sedros

#4 Post by sedros »

bw123, I have no backups of the system - only the data.

arzgi, the funny thing is that htop doesn't show any of the programs to use more than a few percents of a core - however usually 3 cores are usually fully utilized with IO-wait and the system is mostly unresponsive. iotop doesn't show anything specific at the time of a freeze.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Anything useful in /var/log?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD