Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2 dependent on libcrypto.so.1.0.0.0

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
david_j

Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2 dependent on libcrypto.so.1.0.0.0

#1 Post by david_j »

hi community,

so, as it stated in the topic, installing Packet Tracer 7.2 succeeds, but doesn't run. a little web search and i go into the /opt/pt/bin folder and run ./PackeTracer7, which gives some more specifics on the error:

./PacketTracer7: ./libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by ./PacketTracer7)
Segmentation fault

so, i'm not a linux guru, but i'm guessing this is a dependency, and with a little more web searching, i find that libcrypto.so.1.0.0 was deprecated due to a heartbleed vulnerability.

i know there is a way to get this running!!!!! i am hopeful!!!!

any help woul dbe greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

-DaveJ

bw123

Re: Cisco Packet Tracer 7.2 dependent on libcrypto.so.1.0.0.

#2 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Before proceeding, you should read this:
(and I mean really read it, not just look at it.)
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

This is a program, intended for MS windows, and not for Linux,
From:https://www.unixmen.com/installing-cisc ... cer-linux/

Packet tracer available commonly for Windows, but not for Linux distributions. Here we can download and get install Cisco package tracer.
How ever,
i know there is a way to get this running!!!!! i am hopeful!!!!
I am sure there are ways to force it to install, but I don't think it is wise to put this on a "main system", it should be in a isolated environment.
https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/ ... ebian-9-3/
If you read it all, and read the comments at the bottom, there is a comment about step 12, and a alternative, step 12 is where they tell you to install the insecure and deprecated library.
The fact that they tell you to install a insecure and deprecated library, should be a clue, and warning to you, these people are suggesting you do things that will jeopardize your system security.
Logic should tell you , this is not a company, nor software you can trust.

If you simply must have this program on your computer, use a VM, install the MS windows on the VM, and then install the Cisco program to the windows VM, at least on a Virtual Machine, it will be isolated and unable to damage your main system. Another option, get another computer , dedicate it to MS windows, and this Cisco software, keep it totally separate from your Debian system.
After all said and done, since this is NOT a Debian package, and is NOT software intended for Debian, you should NOT use it, but if you feel you must use it, you would be better off asking them at the Cisco support site, and maybe they can and will help you with this. Maybe they could repair their product, and create valid,secure libraries for it. It is their software, they are the ones that should support it and make sure it is in a usable ,working package.

david_j

#4 Post by david_j »

there is no magic in installing PacketTracer on linux. we're not using wine or anything but an application, yes, originally written for windows, but re-written for linux by the original authors, Cisco Systems.

i'll read this, but, like i said, the linux version is written for linux

-dave.j

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yes , that is great, but which Linux ?
but re-written for linux by the original authors, Cisco Systems.
This is the problem, and when people that do not understand that Linux is a general term, there are many Linux distributions, each one uses it's own repositories, the packages in the repository have been built, compiled, etc, for that distribution.
Debian is different then all of the other distros (distributions), all though some of them were / are based on Debian, that does not mean one can simply write a program, for Linux, and expect it to work properly on every Linux distribution.
by david_j » 2018-09-22 08:56

there is no magic in installing PacketTracer on linux.
I never said there was any "magic" involved, there does seem to be some problems with installing it on Debian, or you would not have needed to be asking us here, and when the authors of the program or application ,(call it what you want),do not understand or know the differences between the various Linux distributions, they can not produce reliable software that works on every single Linux distribution, no magic involved, but some logic and experience is required.
we're not using wine or anything but an application,
I never suggested using wine, in fact I think that would be a bad idea,
What I suggested was to learn how to setup a virtual machine, and use a isolated virtual environment, I like QEMU myself, but there are others, VirtualBox is available for Debian as well,...
You don't have to install Windows on the virtual machine, you can install Debian on it, then install the application to your Debian VM, if it works ok, etc, great, but if it has problems, and crashes the system, or for example requires a library that is a security risk, no big deal, it might crash or damage the Debian system on the VM, but it will not harm your main system. Nothing magic about that.
I experiment with all sorts of applications, that I am trying to port for Minix3, (for example,but not just minix, I have VM's for Debian, Open Bsd, and also a old windows version )
I run the Minix3 system on a QEMU VM, and at times, I have it and 2 or 3 others running, they are all "networked", I can connect one to the other, or even go online with any give one, all though I usually don't, but any way that is kind of another topic.
This "Cisco Packe tracer" appears to be for learning, and not "real time" use anyway, so to sum it up, in simple words, it would be best , in my opinion to run it in a virtual environment.
====edited====
If you did a search on this, you will also find instructions that are for Ubuntu, and that is why I suggested reading the Debian wiki, Don't break Debian, first, and read it carefully, you do not want to install packages from the Ubuntu ppas, like some of the tutorials show, and also you do not want to modify your sources.list file, to include Debian jessie, like some of them show.
What you should do :
but re-written for linux by the original authors, Cisco Systems
Since the authors that have re-written the original, program, they are the ones you should be asking , for details about installing it, and specifically on Debian,
they are the ones that have re-written this application, and they are the ones that would be responsible for any dependencies it may have, they might even have a updated library file:
libcrypto.so.1.0.0
One that has the vulnerability patched.
little more web searching, i find that libcrypto.so.1.0.0 was deprecated due to a heartbleed vulnerability.
Don't just do a little web searching, do a lot, the options are available, and not that hard to find, no magic involved.

#6 Post by 1885 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Before proceeding, you should read this:
(and I mean really read it, not just look at it.)
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Thank You!
I like this! https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

As for the Intel® I219V Nic.
We either use Buster or figure out how to load the drivers on install with 9.5

Packettracer will run off of a hotswap bay running Windows 10.

Thanks Again!

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome, there are plenty of ways to run applications that do not necessarily come from the Debian repos, but it is valuable to be aware of the risks , etc.
The wiki article is good , glad you liked it.

#8 Post by 1885 »

We are running PacketTracer using KVM and Debian 9.5 and it runs fine.
2 cores 4092 GB RAM

Thanks for all the posts.