Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recovery My Externall Hard(2T)!!!??? SOLVED

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mehdi4970

Recovery My Externall Hard(2T)!!!??? SOLVED

#1 Post by mehdi4970 »

hello my friends...

1- i have externall hard drive 2T....
2- it was ntfs and full......
3- in linux i had want flash bootable with command [ dd if...............of........]
4- i wrong write iso on my externall hard and ........
5- how can i recovery my data (2T) in linux debian 9.5.0??????
6- work with these programs =======> nothing Result......( foremost...photorec....testdisk....)
7- really!!! what am i doing now????????????????????????
Last edited by mehdi4970 on 2018-09-30 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

Segfault

Re: Recovery My Externall Hard(2T)!!!???

#2 Post by Segfault »

Restore from backup. You didn't keep only one copy of your precious data, did you? Hard drives can fail any time, without warning. Not having backups ends in tears sooner or later.

mehdi4970

#3 Post by mehdi4970 »

dear friend...
my backup = half of my hard.....
300G of it = useless tears......
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
thank you very much

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Seriously. You cannot restore the data that was overwritten. Not at home. NSA may help you out if you hint there was important information regarding national security.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

I did that once, and I've read about people doing it once. I've never seen a thread where anyone explained how to recover from it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

mehdi4970 wrote:6- work with these programs =======> nothing Result......( foremost...photorec....testdisk....)
You should be able to recover most of the not-physically-overwritten data with these tools.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
mehdi4970 wrote:6- work with these programs =======> nothing Result......( foremost...photorec....testdisk....)
You should be able to recover most of the not-physically-overwritten data with these tools.
Yeah, the data is there, but figuring out what it is with mangled filenames will be the slow part. If everything on it was only data of one or two types, makes it easier, but if it's an os or some other type of dependent chain of filenames I think you can kiss it goodbye.

I could be mistaken, but IIRC ntfs doesn't store the long filename with the data, only part of the 8.3 filename as a directory entry with a pointer to the data, and when you get to the recovery part of testdisk you'll have to try and figure out what file is what with the first letter a question mark or such. Possibly mangled extensions too. If you have used the defrag thing and sorted directories first, then they are probably gone by the overwrite. It's a real PITA.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pcalvert

#8 Post by pcalvert »

This article may be helpful:
https://www.r-studio.com/File_Recovery_ ... dows.shtml

It covers the case of accidentally installing Windows on the wrong disk drive, which is a scenario similar to the one you are facing.

That company also has a free file recovery program for Linux:
https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Unfortunately, it won't help you (it's only for ext2/ext3/ext4), but it might help someone else who is reading this.

Phil
Last edited by pcalvert on 2018-09-30 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Segfault

#9 Post by Segfault »

OK, put your thinking cap on.
There are sectors in the hard drive. Information is stored magnetically. If a sector is overwritten with new data, how could you possibly restore what there was before? All you can do at home is to collect pieces that were not overwritten and see if there is anything useful in them. If you get lucky some files may be still intact - meaning no missing pieces.
Very expensive equipment is needed to analyse all overwritten sectors and see if there is any trace left of previously written bits. This requires removing the platter from the drive and evaluating the level of stored bits - kind of analogue way. Please even don't try to tell me someone succeeded restoring erased bits at home without disassembling the drive.

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

Sometimes it is best to just accept reality, and then move on , try to remember the mistakes made in the past so one does not repeat them.

To start with , it looks like the link to the Windows program , is mostly for if and when some how windows was installed over a existing system, not the same as when the Linux 'dd' command has been mis used. But at least they let you try the software being promoted first:
Now we need to decide if R-Studio Emergency can recover files from this partition and therefore should we buy it and register.
So, one has to pay, and buy it, register it, to start actually recovering anything.

Keywords, from the OP here:
by mehdi4970 »5- how can i recovery my data (2T) in linux debian 9.5.0??????
The OP does not say any where they want to use Windows, or windows software to do this.
I suppose though if this data is really that important , the OP could try it, then decide if the data is really worth whatever the program costs. They could also send the drive to some expensive professionals, and pay them to try to recover what they can.
Or they can just accept reality.

mehdi4970

#11 Post by mehdi4970 »

Dear friends....
my problem solved....
i used Active boot disc live -----> partition recovery-------> 24 hours-------> recovered my data------->WoooooooooooW
[ NSA :D :D :D :D :D :D really :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ]

thank you very much