Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
diego1116

#381 Post by diego1116 »

My Gnome desktop on Debian Lenny (click for full size):

The panels are a bit different from default Gnome settings, because I like the notification area at the bottom.

Icon pack: Tango
Gnome theme: Murrina Kent
Metacity theme: Human-Squared
Wallpaper: can be found at http://interfacelift.com

markupstart

#382 Post by markupstart »

Gnome, running Avant-Window-Navigator at the bottom of the screen:

Lost Dog

#383 Post by Lost Dog »

markupstart wrote:Gnome, running Avant-Window-Navigator at the bottom of the screen:
How did you get Avant to compile? I've never had any luck getting it to work (Running Lenny).

markupstart

#384 Post by markupstart »

Lost Dog wrote:
markupstart wrote:Gnome, running Avant-Window-Navigator at the bottom of the screen:
How did you get Avant to compile? I've never had any luck getting it to work (Running Lenny).
I'm using Etch I had to install these: apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libwnck-dev libwnck-common libgconf2-dev libglib2.0-dev gnome-common libgnome2-dev libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-desktop-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev

Then I did a ./autogen.sh, then make, and then make install.

DeanLinkous

#385 Post by DeanLinkous »

gnome - extra lite :)

Remove applets,systray, clock. Kill off gnome-startup splash screen. Turn off previews,counts,and so forth in nautilus.Dont let nautilus manage the desktop. Kill off nautilus sidepane, statusbar, and toolbar. Use nautilus GO menu to switch to network and so forth.
Dont install the meta packages or even gnome-core just gnome-panel,metacity, nautilus, and other gnome stuff you want for functionality.
I use alt+tab to switch apps I have open as you can see - switcher in the middle of the screen. Along with a couple desktops to organize apps. *Thinking about using auto-rollup along with it....still considering that*
gnome-panel used as strictly a launcher
xpad - sticky note thingy
do more with less is my motto! :)
Thats about it....

edited - to explain what changes I made :D
Last edited by DeanLinkous on 2007-05-01 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

JayDoubleM

#386 Post by JayDoubleM »

DeanLinkous wrote:gnome - extra lite :)
can you explain what changes you made?

Lou

#387 Post by Lou »

Remove applets,systray, clock. Kill off gnome-startup splash screen. Turn off... [...]
Beri interesting mon!

This should be written into a HOWTO. Go for it!
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

garrincha

#388 Post by garrincha »

I'm lazy, so here's screenshot of my current obsession:

Evilwm.

1. apt-get install evilwm gmrun
2. edit ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession), to add background using feh, and keybind using xbindkeys.

gmrun - a nice application launcher (see the screenshot) where you enter commands and it has "bash-like" completion with auto-pull down menu. Bind it to a key using xbindkeys.

HOWTO Evilwm (gentoo wiki)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_EvilWM
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

JayDoubleM

#389 Post by JayDoubleM »

Remove applets,systray, clock. Kill off gnome-startup splash screen. Turn off previews,counts,and so forth in nautilus.Dont let nautilus manage the desktop. Kill off nautilus sidepane, statusbar, and toolbar. Use nautilus GO menu to switch to network and so forth.
Dont install the meta packages or even gnome-core just gnome-panel,metacity, nautilus, and other gnome stuff you want for functionality.
I use alt+tab to switch apps I have open as you can see - switcher in the middle of the screen. Along with a couple desktops to organize apps. *Thinking about using auto-rollup along with it....still considering that*
gnome-panel used as strictly a launcher
xpad - sticky note thingy
do more with less is my motto! :)
Thats about it....

edited - to explain what changes I made :D
right now I'm running openbox,
but I was thinking about doing gnome without metacity/nautilus/gnome panel

thamarok

#390 Post by thamarok »

garrincha wrote:I'm lazy, so here's screenshot of my current obsession:

Evilwm.

1. apt-get install evilwm gmrun
2. edit ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession), to add background using feh, and keybind using xbindkeys.

gmrun - a nice application launcher (see the screenshot) where you enter commands and it has "bash-like" completion with auto-pull down menu. Bind it to a key using xbindkeys.

HOWTO Evilwm (gentoo wiki)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_EvilWM
Seems to be too complex for me :lol:

thamarok

#391 Post by thamarok »

Wow! You have many hard disks in your PC! Can you please tell me what icon theme you are using there? Thanks!

garrincha

#392 Post by garrincha »

thamarok wrote:Seems to be too complex for me :lol:
What is complex about it? Unless you're just joking! :)

All you have to do for a lightweight system, as I did, do a clean minimal debian netinstall without desktop and standard task selection checked (in a 2 GB root partition in my case) and do some fine tuning stuffs as explained in these HOWTOs, here and here.

You should have a system with less than 300MB maybe even less if you know what not to install after doing apt-get update and apt-get install xorg and a couple of applications like web-browsers, words etc.

Then do apt-get install evilwm gmrun xbindkeys. If you want a GUI for xbindkeys, apt-get install xbindkeys-config (though I prefer to edit via terminal) or a keybind of your choice.

when you type log into evilwm you'll only get grey background, no menus, no window decorations etc. Spartan stuffs. To launch terminal, type Ctrl-Alt-<Enter>, xterm is the default, read the evilwm homepage or the gentoo wiki link I posted above for keyboard usage for window actions, workspace action, etc.

To launch applications use gmrun, bind it to a key like F1 via xbindkeys. To have background, xbindkeys, mouse configuration, numlock etc, just edit your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file. It's explained clearly in the evilwm or gentoo page.:)

For background, I use feh as a wrapper. Just apt-get install feh. Put this in your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession:

Code: Select all

feh --bg-scale /home/user/image-files/yourimage.jpg

Read the man page for feh for other options to pass. Feh is a nice image manipulation tool with slideshow capability, thumbnail, montage, full-screen etc.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

thamarok

#393 Post by thamarok »

It looks complex by having no panel or windows.. I'm just too used to KDE and XFCE.. Ofcourse I can do stuff in Fluxbox too :)

garrincha

#394 Post by garrincha »

thamarok wrote:It looks complex by having no panel or windows.. I'm just too used to KDE and XFCE.. Ofcourse I can do stuff in Fluxbox too :)
Ah well, if you can do stuffs in Fluxbox then there is no reason for you to try evilwm! :) I just bind my applications to key using xbindkeys or use gmrun to launch applications - that's all!

thamarok

#395 Post by thamarok »

I am more of the clicky clicky Windows users ;)

garrincha

#396 Post by garrincha »

[quote="thamarok"][/quote]

Might be breaking the OT rule...but cannot help it. Thamarok, I just dug out an old PC100 SDRAM (DIMMs) card, it didn't have any marking so I had no idea as to what its size. Anyway, I put this in along with a new correct card for 128MB module, when I boot up and hit the BIOS setup there was a message that warned me something along the line of memory failure (non detection?) and it downgraded the memory size to 289MB. I guessed that the card must be for 256MB.

Now the specification for the PII PC that I have is for a max mem expansion of 256MB RAM. with 289MB, eveything seems to be working but I'm wondering if it's wise to continue using this kind of setup?

thamarok

#397 Post by thamarok »

Don't know what you should do.. anyway, even if this is a "Post your Desktop thread", this is Off-Topic in Off-Topic :)

seshomaru

#398 Post by seshomaru »

This Etch /IceWm with an Ubuntu ( :oops: ) theme

kirihito

#399 Post by kirihito »

My Etch desktop,

JayDoubleM

#400 Post by JayDoubleM »

etch
openbox 3 / theme=syscrash
pypanel
conky