Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SMB access for Avidemux Appimage

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SMB access for Avidemux Appimage

#1 Post by CwF »

I decided to try the avidemux appimage and added it to a debian vm which also has handbrake. Functionally it is fine but I can't really run it through its paces without video files. Similar to a few other programs in this category the can't use files on the network.

Others like pitivi, cinerlerra, gopchop, don't offer network access in their open dialogs and don't respond to a drag and drop. Sure they all work with local files, but I don't allow that.

Is the lack of network access in common between those native apps and an appimage, or is an appimage additionally limited somehow? Or in other words, if avidemux was a locally installed normal package would it still lack network access in its open dialog?

Currently, there are vm's and separate machines that produce video files, one of two vm's operate on those files that are now in one directory on a network spinning disk. In this way many system can contribute and share the video. It's unacceptable to need to pull the file to local then send it back.

I'm just curious if I'm missing something since this is a solution to a problem I don't have. Simply an attempt to bring an existing solution in my flow to a debian vm instead of a not-debian vm.

stevepusser

Re: SMB access for Avidemux Appimage

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Since you can install a native avidemux from my OBS multimedia repo or deb-multimedia, why not try that and report the results?
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

I thought about that. And I rejected that. It's a simple question I thought someone might know. Ya know, maybe save a fellow user some time?!
Installed locally it will (will not) offer the network in the open file dialog
I guess that's to much to ask here. If I thought I had an answer to a question, I offer it. Maybe that's not what this forum is all about.

So the answer is, keep using my perfectly stable and functional decade old versions... Thanks for the encouragement.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

So, you want someone else to stop using their latest native working Avidemux versions and test some AppImage for you? Is that the gist of it?

You also say that it's in a Debian VM. Can that be related to the lack of network access? And since it's trivial to take a snapshot of a VM and revert to it later, your reluctance to test alternates is rather puzzling.
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

stevepusser wrote:So, you want someone else to stop using their latest native working Avidemux versions and test some AppImage for you? Is that the gist of it?
So exactly where in my comment did you get that? Someone that does use it natively, or an appimage, can simply say sure it works with network files, or not.

An the example of my first use of an appimage I have to say the 6 clicks required to get it done compares very favorably to adding a foreign repository.

It runs very well. Maybe I'll just give the vm some spinner space and work it locally. I suspect it is in the group I mentioned that does not work on the network due to using its own dialog, unlike handbrake which does.

thanks anyway

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Do you have the smb share mounted or are you relying on gvfs?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

I suspect it is in the group I mentioned that does not work on the network due to using its own dialog, unlike handbrake which does.
Perhaps I'm not explaining this well. It boils down to the Open File Dialog the particular program chooses to use. I already mentioned programs that use a unique or different dialog that does not have easy network share access displayed anywhere in the dialog box. Blenders custom dialog also does not. Solvespace for example uses the dialog similar to handbrake, where the shares are clearly listed. Same for the save dialogs, so when I put a link in a local directory to the networked file, it opens the file, then no way to save it to the share.
Others, Ex Falso list smb shares in it's open file dialog, Quod Libet does not. MPV doesn't have a open file dialog, never really noticed, it works fine by association or drag and drop. Some of the others mentioned respond to drag and drop, some don't, avidemux did not.
dilberts_left_nut wrote:Do you have the smb share mounted or are you relying on gvfs?
I don't know how the method changes this behavior, but I use gigolo with gvfs-backends, no samba installed.

It's now just a curiosity about the inconsistency of various programs File dialogs. This version of Avidemux has different key mappings which all add unnecessary key strokes compared to 'other' versions. Maybe that could be fixed, but as stated I already had a working setup that will stay. Otherwise, the appimage worked great.

And I'm patting myself on the back for learning about the efficiency of AppImages and not wasting time with more disruptive ways... Out of the half hour I played with it, about 2 was invested in installing it, including the download.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

Despite the potential entertainment value, we can drop this thread. It would be accurate to mark this 'Unsolvable'.

I got the answer elsewhere confirming my understanding:
I don't have a solution, but "Is this normal?": Yes this is normal, the developers have to make an effort to support network file systems, therefore they have the option to disable it when they program their file-chooser dialogue.
And further I understand drag and drop support to be a similar and separate issue.

Now I know.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

...revisiting this thread for an update...I just took some time to take a stretch vm to buster. I had some questions on a handful of things to answer and I did it in steps with one line is sources.list. Ended up going further than I intended, upgraded all but 1 package, answered my questions and came up with a few more...

Anyway, my mind sparked to try the avidemux appimage just to see if it still runs fine, it does. I'd didn't expect it to have magically changed it's file chooser dialog, it didn't, but somewhere in the change to buster the drag and drop behavior did change. I dragged over a file from thunar displaying a smb mount and it open a 5 gig file in about 1.2 seconds...no way...yes way! So still no navigation within the file chooser itself, the save function did indeed show the smb mount. So at least it will bounce it back to where ever you got it!

And compared to a 'native' vm with a native avidemux this buster magic is magnitudes faster. Amazing. Loads instantly and writes out at 25-50 MB/s.

I went back and tried again in a stretch vm and no go. I'm not going to figure that one out. Maybe the developer will fix the file chooser dialog someday.